Advanced candidate age

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
clarenthol

Advanced candidate age

Post by clarenthol » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 am

Last edited by clarenthol on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.

blahquaker

Re: Advanced candidate age

Post by blahquaker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:50 am

Most of the people who post on this forum are undergrads and will not be able to give you any real answers, other than possibly an anecdote about one old guy in their department.

I also am in my 30s, but I won't be applying to PhD programs until next year, so I don't have any answers either.

How recently were you in school? How recent was your research? How recent are your letters of recommendation?

How badly do you want a PhD? Are you willing/able to move? Are you willing to stick with it for 6 years?

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 am

FYI, in the 2018 admissions results there is another navy veteran.

clarenthol

Post by clarenthol » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 am

I'm finishing now and research is ongoing through this fall. My applications will be for next year as well. I would move to Puerto Rico for a chance if they accepted me. Thanks I just looked at that. I was not an officer though.
Last edited by clarenthol on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thesieve

Post by thesieve » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Only one way to find out!

clarenthol

Post by clarenthol » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Quite right! Best of luck to us all!

xyzz

Post by xyzz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

From my experience, age per se is not a problem. What is important is that your exposure to mathematics is recent - but this holds in your case and, as it seems, with very good results. I suspect the admission committee would also like to know about your motivation and determination to do a PhD at this time in your life, and you can argue your case in the SoP. Best of luck!

terbo

Post by terbo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am

hey i'm 31 and will be 32 by the time i enroll in the fall. it will be my first time in a math class since 2008, though for the past ten years all of my jobs have revolved entirely around math. only 1 phd admitted me but i received a couple acceptances to master's programs. i spoke to several people from admissions committees and despite going to a great school and having solid gre and mgre scores (especially since i graduated ten years ago), i was seen as "high risk" - probably due to the fact that i've been out of school so long, my grades were up and down while was there (ie. A in linear algebra II, but a C in real analysis), 2/3 of my recommenders are from outside mathematics, i already have a master's degree in Architecture and i've never done research. it seems to me that while you're older, you are a more logical, less risky candidate than i was so i think you'll be totally fine. good luck.

clarenthol

Post by clarenthol » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 pm

Thank you both very much for the encouraging words! I'm feeling better and better about the process as I go forward. I just need to spend MUCH more time studying.