2018 Math REU Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ptnkt1215
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ptnkt1215 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Do you know when do REUs generally send out results? 2-3 weeks after deadline?
Also has anyone got offers from RIPS/UCLA REU yet?

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Anyone hear from Texas A&M yet?

ya
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

ptnkt1215 wrote:Do you know when do REUs generally send out results? 2-3 weeks after deadline?
Also has anyone got offers from RIPS/UCLA REU yet?


I got an offer from RIPS Hong Kong today. It is really frustrating that despite the common REU deadline some REUs want responses earlier and some respond late...

fluffyj
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby fluffyj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:05 pm

ptnkt1215 wrote:Do you know when do REUs generally send out results? 2-3 weeks after deadline?
Also has anyone got offers from RIPS/UCLA REU yet?


I got an email from UCLA RIPS saying they will call me "about making an offer" soon. It seems like I was accepted, but I'm not entirely sure because the email was kind of vague.

persiankid400
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby persiankid400 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Anyone get a response from MSRI-UP in Berkeley?

ALG1997
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ALG1997 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm

persiankid400 wrote:Anyone get a response from MSRI-UP in Berkeley?

A professor at my school is one of the directors. I talked to them today and they said "we're pretty much done selecting candidates," and that "we had too many applicants to notify of rejection," which I think is rude. Also, they reminded me that the program was especially for minorities, so my chances are gone as a DWM. Good luck to everyone else.

Topologically
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Topologically » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:32 pm

ALG1997 wrote:
persiankid400 wrote:Anyone get a response from MSRI-UP in Berkeley?

A professor at my school is one of the directors. I talked to them today and they said "we're pretty much done selecting candidates," and that "we had too many applicants to notify of rejection," which I think is rude. Also, they reminded me that the program was especially for minorities, so my chances are gone as a DWM. Good luck to everyone else.



Wow, so does that mean those who have been selected have been notified already?

ya
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Anyone got offers from Duluth yet? (Any idea when those will be out?)

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:39 pm

ya wrote:Anyone got offers from Duluth yet? (Any idea when those will be out?)


lol Duluth decided on their group before the Feb 15 deadline...

ALG1997
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ALG1997 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Rejected from UChicago. I got the same generic email as the other guy who posted on here.

violetrock
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby violetrock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 pm

OPBM6578 wrote:Anyone hear from Texas A&M yet?


At least one of the groups from TAMU sent out offers at the beginning of last week and asked for a response by 2/28.

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:23 am

Have you guys applied to a bunch of random schools as well?

lapislazur
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby lapislazur » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 am

djysyed wrote:Have you guys applied to a bunch of random schools as well?

Probably applied to all programs that are slightly related to geometry/number theory, though I doubt any of them will accept me due to my lame af gpa :/

ptnkt1215
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ptnkt1215 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 am

How important is GPA btw? Is there any chance for people got A- or so?

terrapot
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby terrapot » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 am

fluffyj wrote:I got an email from UCLA RIPS saying they will call me "about making an offer" soon. It seems like I was accepted, but I'm not entirely sure because the email was kind of vague.


Got the same email, and yes you've most likely been accepted (but you probably got called by now and know this). Was called with the acceptance shortly after.

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 pm

ptnkt1215 wrote:How important is GPA btw? Is there any chance for people got A- or so?


OMG an A- gpa?! You have absolutely zero chance with that why did you even bother applying to REUs?? :roll:

But seriously, considering things like Caltech SURF and other REUs want a min 3.0 it'd be preposterous to think having an A- gpa would somehow mean you have no chance. Besides things like projects recs and grades in classes like analysis or algebra is much more important than overall GPA

ptnkt1215
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ptnkt1215 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Hmmm interesting, I knew it was bad but my school is super hard and there was no grade inflation so getting an A is very difficult. Besides, I got good awards and projects so I am not sure how important was GPA, considering everyone is A+ or so.

Bottomology
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

ALG1997 wrote:Rejected from UChicago. I got the same generic email as the other guy who posted on here.


Rejected as well. I applied to 13 programs, and have nothing to show for it besides a SMALL shortlist (which I never heard back from). I have a bad feeling about this...

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rise » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Last year, I was getting my first acceptances in mid March. Don’t worry yet, guys. There’s still a lot of time

EGA
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby EGA » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 pm

ptnkt1215 wrote:Hmmm interesting, I knew it was bad but my school is super hard and there was no grade inflation so getting an A is very difficult. Besides, I got good awards and projects so I am not sure how important was GPA, considering everyone is A+ or so.


He was being sarcastic - an A- roughly translates to a 3.7 which is very good at a school without grade inflation (this may or may not be a super accurate translation depending on your particular grading system - but I imagine A- is fine).

HJH009
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby HJH009 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:49 pm

jjk23 wrote:I got an email from Steven Miller saying he's talking to other groups and trying to get more funding so that he can take all the students he wants to. I didn't hear anything after that.


I'm in the exact same boat. Did Prof. Miller ever give you any updates after this email (it''s been some days since your post)? I haven't received any, so I'm getting moderately nervous.

ya
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 pm

HJH009 wrote:
jjk23 wrote:I got an email from Steven Miller saying he's talking to other groups and trying to get more funding so that he can take all the students he wants to. I didn't hear anything after that.


I'm in the exact same boat. Did Prof. Miller ever give you any updates after this email (it''s been some days since your post)? I haven't received any, so I'm getting moderately nervous.


Same here. All I can say, I was in the same exact situation last year, and no one ever got back to me after that, which I thought was rude. I crossed SMALL off my list at this point :x

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm

HJH009 wrote:
jjk23 wrote:I got an email from Steven Miller saying he's talking to other groups and trying to get more funding so that he can take all the students he wants to. I didn't hear anything after that.


I'm in the exact same boat. Did Prof. Miller ever give you any updates after this email (it''s been some days since your post)? I haven't received any, so I'm getting moderately nervous.


I replied saying I'd be willing to pay for my own food if necessary. He said that was excellent and I haven't heard back since. I'm probably going to withdraw my application though because I was accepted to Chicago and I'm not too passionate about the SMALL number theory project.

HJH009
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby HJH009 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks to both of you for replying and congrats on Chicago @jjk23 (I'm shortlisted there). I guess if he doesn't send anything soon I may just email him to see the state of my application.

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:51 pm

HJH009 wrote:Thanks to both of you for replying and congrats on Chicago @jjk23 (I'm shortlisted there). I guess if he doesn't send anything soon I may just email him to see the state of my application.


Thanks! Chicago looks exciting but I'm worried there'll be so many students that it won't be the best place to interact with faculty and get a good letter for grad school. I'm sure some spots will open up within a week or two, so good luck!

Did anyone hear from Emory or Michigan? Emory has like 8 participants listed on their website already so that's probably not a great sign for me, but I guess they're still choosing people.

Cartessia
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Cartessia » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 pm

jjk23 wrote:
HJH009 wrote:Thanks to both of you for replying and congrats on Chicago @jjk23 (I'm shortlisted there). I guess if he doesn't send anything soon I may just email him to see the state of my application.


Thanks! Chicago looks exciting but I'm worried there'll be so many students that it won't be the best place to interact with faculty and get a good letter for grad school. I'm sure some spots will open up within a week or two, so good luck!

Did anyone hear from Emory or Michigan? Emory has like 8 participants listed on their website already so that's probably not a great sign for me, but I guess they're still choosing people.



No word from Michigan for me. I also applied to Twin Cities, Texas A&M, and Auburn. No emails from anyone yet. :( I’m starting to feel really discouraged.

anonperson15
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby anonperson15 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:56 am

Anyone applying to the Princeton summer school in topology? Is it worth it to do if you don't get into any REUs?

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:35 pm

Anyone hear from Auburn yet?

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 pm

anonperson15 wrote:Anyone applying to the Princeton summer school in topology? Is it worth it to do if you don't get into any REUs?


I'm thinking about this as well. Not sure if my background in Topology/Knot Theory is strong enough.

Has anyone heard back from:

Baruch College (CUNY)
REU Program at Boise State University
2018 Summer REU in Mathematics at Fresno State
Hobart & William Smith Colleges REU: Discovering Mathematics in New York State
Miami University, Department of Mathematics/SUMSRI
University of Michigan, Mathematics REU

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:15 pm

djysyed wrote:
anonperson15 wrote:Anyone applying to the Princeton summer school in topology? Is it worth it to do if you don't get into any REUs?


I'm thinking about this as well. Not sure if my background in Topology/Knot Theory is strong enough.

Has anyone heard back from:

Baruch College (CUNY)
REU Program at Boise State University
2018 Summer REU in Mathematics at Fresno State
Hobart & William Smith Colleges REU: Discovering Mathematics in New York State
Miami University, Department of Mathematics/SUMSRI
University of Michigan, Mathematics REU


CUNY decided their group already. Don't know about the others.

ya
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 pm

starlord37 wrote:
djysyed wrote:
anonperson15 wrote:Anyone applying to the Princeton summer school in topology? Is it worth it to do if you don't get into any REUs?


I'm thinking about this as well. Not sure if my background in Topology/Knot Theory is strong enough.

Has anyone heard back from:

Baruch College (CUNY)
REU Program at Boise State University
2018 Summer REU in Mathematics at Fresno State
Hobart & William Smith Colleges REU: Discovering Mathematics in New York State
Miami University, Department of Mathematics/SUMSRI
University of Michigan, Mathematics REU


CUNY decided their group already. Don't know about the others.


I got an offer from CUNY, Baruch, but haven't accepted yet, so the group is not decided. They have ppl on the wait list

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:10 pm

I got an offer from CUNY, Baruch, but haven't accepted yet, so the group is not decided. They have ppl on the wait list[/quote]

Congrats! When I say the group has been decided I just mean the REU has sent offers.

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am

djysyed wrote:
anonperson15 wrote:Anyone applying to the Princeton summer school in topology? Is it worth it to do if you don't get into any REUs?


I'm thinking about this as well. Not sure if my background in Topology/Knot Theory is strong enough.

Has anyone heard back from:

Baruch College (CUNY)
REU Program at Boise State University
2018 Summer REU in Mathematics at Fresno State
Hobart & William Smith Colleges REU: Discovering Mathematics in New York State
Miami University, Department of Mathematics/SUMSRI
University of Michigan, Mathematics REU


I sent an email to Michigan, they said they'll be sending out decisions "before the end of the week"

ssule8
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ssule8 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Has anyone heard back from the Random Matrix Theory group at SMALL yet?

ljsreader
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ljsreader » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

If anyone is waiting to hear from Lafayette, I was just offered a phone interview for the Geometry project. It's one of my top choices, so I am f r e a k i n g o u t! Any advice from people who have completed phone interviews so I don't sound like a total dunce?

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:03 am

ljsreader wrote:If anyone is waiting to hear from Lafayette, I was just offered a phone interview for the Geometry project. It's one of my top choices, so I am f r e a k i n g o u t! Any advice from people who have completed phone interviews so I don't sound like a total dunce?

First, if there are any papers posted under the topic description, familiarize yourself with those papers. Second, go over your application as they are likely to ask you questions from what you wrote. Third, if you know which professor would be your mentor, read through their webpage. Lastly, make sure to talk about why their program stands out to you among others.

ALG1997
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ALG1997 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:36 am

I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?

Rara22
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rara22 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am

ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


I was emailed by Berkeley earlier this week to let me know I was on the waitlist. I assume if you haven’t been emailed that means you’ve been rejected, sorry. :( Also, as a female minority, I think that a big part of these REUs is getting students who may not have the opportunity otherwise to do research or to engage underrepresented groups in research. So if you’re at a big research school or a white male that may also factor into it. I don’t think it’s all about grades.

ptnkt1215
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ptnkt1215 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


Feel you, hope you get it eventually.

ALG1997
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ALG1997 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Rara22 wrote:
ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


I was emailed by Berkeley earlier this week to let me know I was on the waitlist. I assume if you haven’t been emailed that means you’ve been rejected, sorry. :( Also, as a female minority, I think that a big part of these REUs is getting students who may not have the opportunity otherwise to do research or to engage underrepresented groups in research. So if you’re at a big research school or a white male that may also factor into it. I don’t think it’s all about grades.


Yeah, I'm a DWM from the middle class, so that puts me at a disadvantage. I just got the rejection email from Michigan, so I'm really worried.

Cartessia
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Cartessia » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:11 pm

ALG1997 wrote:
Rara22 wrote:
ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


I was emailed by Berkeley earlier this week to let me know I was on the waitlist. I assume if you haven’t been emailed that means you’ve been rejected, sorry. :( Also, as a female minority, I think that a big part of these REUs is getting students who may not have the opportunity otherwise to do research or to engage underrepresented groups in research. So if you’re at a big research school or a white male that may also factor into it. I don’t think it’s all about grades.


Yeah, I'm a DWM from the middle class, so that puts me at a disadvantage. I just got the rejection email from Michigan, so I'm really worried.




Just got a rejection from Michigan. It was really nice though, so that made it a little easier, even if that’s probably what they send to everyone.

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rise » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:20 pm

ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


Did you apply to many other programs? REU's at research universities or places like MSRI/IAS are notoriously difficult to get into, especially if you can't make a case for a lack of opportunities or representation.

ptnkt1215
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ptnkt1215 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Rise wrote:Did you apply to many other programs? REU's at research universities or places like MSRI/IAS are notoriously difficult to get into, especially if you can't make a case for a lack of opportunities or representation.


Speaking about IAS, did anyone get an offer from the PCMI summer school?

ljsreader
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ljsreader » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 pm

ptnkt1215 wrote:
Rise wrote:Did you apply to many other programs? REU's at research universities or places like MSRI/IAS are notoriously difficult to get into, especially if you can't make a case for a lack of opportunities or representation.


Speaking about IAS, did anyone get an offer from the PCMI summer school?


I applied too, but haven't heard back! I've been hoping it'll be today.

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:23 pm

ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


Programs don't notify you because they don't have time. Emory applicants was up 30% to 750. Duluth went up 100%. Chicago went up 50%, Clemson went up 100%. For some reason applications shot up this year so they simply don't have time to notify everyone. I don't think it'll help for people to tell you stats because a range of kids get accepted. There are kids with 4.0s and kids with 3.0s who get into REUs. Kids that have never done research and ones who have done a lot of research before. Some who haven't taken analysis or algebra and some who have taken both. It's really just about what the program is looking for and if they thought you were a good fit for them.

ee
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Has anyone heard from the UCLA REU yet?

ae1997
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ae1997 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Anyone heard from SUMSRI yet?

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm

ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


Chicago is primarily UChicago students so don't be too worried. From what I've seen, REUs really just accept students with all sorts of backgrounds. Rise mentioned above that quite a few of his peers didn't really know much mathematics beyond group theory. If you're someone who has taken graduate courses, then you attend an institution where there is research so, REUs will wonder why you haven't chosen to do research at your own institution.

triscuitador
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby triscuitador » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:27 pm

I applied to nine programs, heard back from two (UChicago and Michigan, both rejections). I presumably got rejected from SMALL, too...We'll see how it goes. I'm really hoping to get into Indiana University's program.

etianss
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby etianss » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:16 pm

starlord37 wrote:
ALG1997 wrote:I emailed Berkeley and Clemson about if my application was still being considered, and neither has replied. It's been 3 days, and since I've been rejected by Chicago and MSRI, I'm getting worried. Why don't programs notify you if you've been declined? And I'm the top sophomore at my school, so what do they expect? If the people who have been accepted don't mind, what are your stats? What classes have you taken, have you done research before, etc?


Programs don't notify you because they don't have time. Emory applicants was up 30% to 750. Duluth went up 100%. Chicago went up 50%, Clemson went up 100%. For some reason applications shot up this year so they simply don't have time to notify everyone. I don't think it'll help for people to tell you stats because a range of kids get accepted. There are kids with 4.0s and kids with 3.0s who get into REUs. Kids that have never done research and ones who have done a lot of research before. Some who haven't taken analysis or algebra and some who have taken both. It's really just about what the program is looking for and if they thought you were a good fit for them.


Where do you get these stats, just curious?




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests