2018 Math REU Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
LordWiki
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:23 am

2018 Math REU Thread

Postby LordWiki » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am

I made a similar thread on r/math already, but since it's so early, the thread could get buried. I'm remaking the thread here so that people can talk about REUs and their offers.

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:21 pm

I've applied to the UChicago, Umich, and about 4-5 unknown REUs. Really hoping to get into at least one of them.

MMDE
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby MMDE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Is it too late to apply for any REUs? Got really busy this past two months and think I missed most of the deadlines.

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 pm

MMDE wrote:Is it too late to apply for any REUs? Got really busy this past two months and think I missed most of the deadlines.


Hurry! Some REUs are accepting applications till March 7th.

Do most REUs prefer students from liberal arts colleges? What are the general backgrounds of students who were accepted to REUs?

MMDE
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:04 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby MMDE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:27 am

djysyed wrote:
MMDE wrote:Is it too late to apply for any REUs? Got really busy this past two months and think I missed most of the deadlines.


Hurry! Some REUs are accepting applications till March 7th.

Do most REUs prefer students from liberal arts colleges? What are the general backgrounds of students who were accepted to REUs?


Really?! Do you know where I can find a list of such schools? Thank you!

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rise » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 am

djysyed wrote:
MMDE wrote:Is it too late to apply for any REUs? Got really busy this past two months and think I missed most of the deadlines.


Hurry! Some REUs are accepting applications till March 7th.

Do most REUs prefer students from liberal arts colleges? What are the general backgrounds of students who were accepted to REUs?


I attended an REU at a liberal arts college. There were nine students (this is pretty standard as far as I know). Five were from research universities, and four from liberal arts. Almost everybody was an incoming senior, but we also had some incoming juniors. There were some students who had not done the core series yet (Real Analysis, Algebra, Linear Algebra), so I don't think background is a huge requirement for REUs.

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am

Does anyone know about the SMALL knot theory group? I was shortlisted and did a phone interview with the professor running the group a week ago and haven’t heard back since. Praying this doesn’t mean a rejection.
Last edited by Bottomology on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

EGA
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby EGA » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Bottomology wrote:Does anyone know about the SMALL knot theory groip? I was shortlisted and did a phone interview with the professor running the group a week ago and haven’t heard back since. Praying this doesn’t mean a rejection.


I'm not sure about the knot theory group, but a friend of mine got an offer for the ergodic theory group the day after the interview.

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rise » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Bottomology wrote:Does anyone know about the SMALL knot theory groip? I was shortlisted and did a phone interview with the professor running the group a week ago and haven’t heard back since. Praying this doesn’t mean a rejection.


I was shortlisted for Number Theory and rejected within the week. I think most people get admitted within a few days...sorry :( I do hope it turns out better for you.

anonperson15
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby anonperson15 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Anyone that applied to UC Berkeley's geometry and topology REU heard back yet?

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:57 am

Rise wrote:
Bottomology wrote:Does anyone know about the SMALL knot theory groip? I was shortlisted and did a phone interview with the professor running the group a week ago and haven’t heard back since. Praying this doesn’t mean a rejection.


I was shortlisted for Number Theory and rejected within the week. I think most people get admitted within a few days...sorry :( I do hope it turns out better for you.


Oh jeez, that’s not good. Sorry :( I guess all I can do is wait and hope for the best.

Sparky
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Has anyone heard back from UChicago?

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:38 pm

The deadline for applications was today so I don't think we'll hear back until March.

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm

anonperson15 wrote:Anyone that applied to UC Berkeley's geometry and topology REU heard back yet?


I applied to Berkeley’s REU as well and have not heard back.

Sparky
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm

EGA wrote:
Bottomology wrote:Does anyone know about the SMALL knot theory groip? I was shortlisted and did a phone interview with the professor running the group a week ago and haven’t heard back since. Praying this doesn’t mean a rejection.


I'm not sure about the knot theory group, but a friend of mine got an offer for the ergodic theory group the day after the interview.


Is your friend going to accept the offer? I got admitted to that group too.

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 am

I'm applying to a project that uses complex analysis and I haven't touched complex analysis in a few years. Would it be possible to review it within a few weeks in order to get up to pace with the REU project or should I go for something that I'm not entirely interested in? The REU is at a small no-name school.

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

Has anyone heard anything from the Tropical Geometry group at SMALL?

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 am

Anyone heard back from SMALL Number Theory group? I know I was short-listed but haven't heard back yet...

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 am

djysyed wrote:I'm applying to a project that uses complex analysis and I haven't touched complex analysis in a few years. Would it be possible to review it within a few weeks in order to get up to pace with the REU project or should I go for something that I'm not entirely interested in? The REU is at a small no-name school.


I think you could review the most important parts of undergrad complex analysis really quickly. I'm sure you'd be fine just knowing how to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy's integral formula, the residue theorem, Liouville's theorem, and maybe like the maximum modulus principle.

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:30 am

ya wrote:Anyone heard back from SMALL Number Theory group? I know I was short-listed but haven't heard back yet...

I got an email from Steven Miller saying he's talking to other groups and trying to get more funding so that he can take all the students he wants to. I didn't hear anything after that.

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 am

Sparky wrote:Has anyone heard back from UChicago?


No, haven't heard from them but it's still too early.

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:39 am

Anyone applied to MIT MSRP general?

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:32 am

ya wrote:Anyone heard back from SMALL Number Theory group? I know I was short-listed but haven't heard back yet...

I was shortlisted and admitted a week ago. I'm not sure how recent the email about getting more funding that another poster mentions, but hopefully there is still a chance

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 am

ya wrote:Anyone applied to MIT MSRP general?

I was going to apply but there's not a good history of math projects. however I talked to a guy at MIT's math Dept at a conference who said they have new faculty who would advise projects if there are students requesting math. If I recall correctly he said they give decisions in like April

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 am

Ugh, I still haven't heard from anywhere except a shortlist and likely rejection from SMALL, and a rejection from Duluth. When do results generally start pouring in?

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:42 am

Bottomology wrote:Ugh, I still haven't heard from anywhere except a shortlist and likely rejection from SMALL, and a rejection from Duluth. When do results generally start pouring in?


I only have gotten an acceptance from Twin Cities so far and haven't heard from anyone else. I think it's still quite early, the general REU deadline is March 8th, I believe, but some REUs don't conform and send late acceptances/rejections :(

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am

jjk23 wrote:I think you could review the most important parts of undergrad complex analysis really quickly. I'm sure you'd be fine just knowing how to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy's integral formula, the residue theorem, Liouville's theorem, and maybe like the maximum modulus principle.


Sweet thanks. I'm guessing most students haven't learned complex analysis at the level of Gamelin or Ahlfors?

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am

djysyed wrote:
jjk23 wrote:I think you could review the most important parts of undergrad complex analysis really quickly. I'm sure you'd be fine just knowing how to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, Cauchy's integral formula, the residue theorem, Liouville's theorem, and maybe like the maximum modulus principle.


Sweet thanks. I'm guessing most students haven't learned complex analysis at the level of Gamelin or Ahlfors?


I think you'd want to be comfortable with a lot of the first part of Gamelin but I don't have the impression many undergrads learn much of the other material.

rickrockroll
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby rickrockroll » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm

anonperson15 wrote:Anyone that applied to UC Berkeley's geometry and topology REU heard back yet?


I just got an email saying I was accepted to the group studying hyperbolic 3-manifolds so looks like acceptances are rolling out

anonperson15
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby anonperson15 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 pm

rickrockroll wrote:
anonperson15 wrote:Anyone that applied to UC Berkeley's geometry and topology REU heard back yet?


I just got an email saying I was accepted to the group studying hyperbolic 3-manifolds so looks like acceptances are rolling out


Aw that was my top choice... hopefully they didn't completely send out all the acceptances yet.

Special K
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Special K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:50 am

Does anyone know whether Duluth has sent out acceptances yet? I know some people have been rejected, but I haven't heard back yet.

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 am

anonperson15 wrote:
rickrockroll wrote:
anonperson15 wrote:Anyone that applied to UC Berkeley's geometry and topology REU heard back yet?


I just got an email saying I was accepted to the group studying hyperbolic 3-manifolds so looks like acceptances are rolling out


Aw that was my top choice... hopefully they didn't completely send out all the acceptances yet.


This was one of my top choices too, so bummer for us. Do programs generally send out all their decisions at once, or a few at a time?

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:16 am

Special K wrote:Does anyone know whether Duluth has sent out acceptances yet? I know some people have been rejected, but I haven't heard back yet.


Same here. I take it as a good sign for now.

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:46 am

ya wrote:
Bottomology wrote:Ugh, I still haven't heard from anywhere except a shortlist and likely rejection from SMALL, and a rejection from Duluth. When do results generally start pouring in?


I only have gotten an acceptance from Twin Cities so far and haven't heard from anyone else. I think it's still quite early, the general REU deadline is March 8th, I believe, but some REUs don't conform and send late acceptances/rejections :(

Are you going to attend Twin Cities?

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 am

OPBM6578 wrote:
ya wrote:
Bottomology wrote:Ugh, I still haven't heard from anywhere except a shortlist and likely rejection from SMALL, and a rejection from Duluth. When do results generally start pouring in?


I only have gotten an acceptance from Twin Cities so far and haven't heard from anyone else. I think it's still quite early, the general REU deadline is March 8th, I believe, but some REUs don't conform and send late acceptances/rejections :(

Are you going to attend Twin Cities?


I am not 100% sure yet, still waiting on other places to make the final decision!

etianss
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby etianss » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Y'all are ambitious :) I applied to one REU, Clemson (Coding, Cryptography, and Number Theory) and I got accepted, so I was pretty happy. I think I'll be in the cryptography group.

What kind of stats do you guys have to be applying to the top programs? My GPA is in the 3.7 - 3.8 range, from a small school, one good and one very good LOR. Math major, CS minor, lots of personal projects / programming competitions and I talked about those a lot in my personal statement.

OPBM6578
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby OPBM6578 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Anyone hear from UChicago today? They're announcement says they respond by today.

jjk23
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:21 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby jjk23 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:44 pm

OPBM6578 wrote:Anyone hear from UChicago today? They're announcement says they respond by today.


I haven't heard anything, it's been stressing me out a little.

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:43 pm

jjk23 wrote:
OPBM6578 wrote:Anyone hear from UChicago today? They're announcement says they respond by today.


I haven't heard anything, it's been stressing me out a little.


It's also sunday so I would assume we will hear back in a few days.

starlord37
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby starlord37 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:55 pm

etianss wrote:Y'all are ambitious :) I applied to one REU, Clemson (Coding, Cryptography, and Number Theory) and I got accepted, so I was pretty happy. I think I'll be in the cryptography group.

What kind of stats do you guys have to be applying to the top programs? My GPA is in the 3.7 - 3.8 range, from a small school, one good and one very good LOR. Math major, CS minor, lots of personal projects / programming competitions and I talked about those a lot in my personal statement.


Congrats on Clemson! I don't think it's that any of us are especially ambitious, I think it's just applying to one REU or like < 5 even, is really dangerous because they're so competitive to get into. Of course this doesn't apply as much if you have research at your home institution as a "backup". Also, Clemson is a great program! Perhaps you are even more ambitious, or rather confident, for having only applied to them. :P

lapislazur
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby lapislazur » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 pm

etianss wrote:Y'all are ambitious :) I applied to one REU, Clemson (Coding, Cryptography, and Number Theory) and I got accepted, so I was pretty happy. I think I'll be in the cryptography group.

What kind of stats do you guys have to be applying to the top programs? My GPA is in the 3.7 - 3.8 range, from a small school, one good and one very good LOR. Math major, CS minor, lots of personal projects / programming competitions and I talked about those a lot in my personal statement.

Congarts on Clemson! I applied to Clemson as well though haven’t heard back from them, probably not good sign haha.

etianss
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby etianss » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:27 pm

starlord37 wrote:
etianss wrote:Y'all are ambitious :) I applied to one REU, Clemson (Coding, Cryptography, and Number Theory) and I got accepted, so I was pretty happy. I think I'll be in the cryptography group.

What kind of stats do you guys have to be applying to the top programs? My GPA is in the 3.7 - 3.8 range, from a small school, one good and one very good LOR. Math major, CS minor, lots of personal projects / programming competitions and I talked about those a lot in my personal statement.


Congrats on Clemson! I don't think it's that any of us are especially ambitious, I think it's just applying to one REU or like < 5 even, is really dangerous because they're so competitive to get into. Of course this doesn't apply as much if you have research at your home institution as a "backup". Also, Clemson is a great program! Perhaps you are even more ambitious, or rather confident, for having only applied to them. :P


Thanks! Basically, I spent a lot of time on the application and I figured I wouldn't have a better chance of getting in any where else, so I just submitted and hoped for the best. (Clearly, it's not a stats REU :P)

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:49 pm

djysyed wrote:
jjk23 wrote:
OPBM6578 wrote:Anyone hear from UChicago today? They're announcement says they respond by today.


I haven't heard anything, it's been stressing me out a little.


It's also sunday so I would assume we will hear back in a few days.


I just got an acceptance, so looks like they are rolling out!

relicant
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby relicant » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:46 pm

What is your profile? Are you from UChicago?

djysyed
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby djysyed » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:20 am

ya wrote:
I just got an acceptance, so looks like they are rolling out!


Congrats!!! I just got this email from Dr. May saying, "I am very sorry that we cannot accept you to our 2018 REU. Most unexpectedly, we had 450 applicants, up from under 300 last year (not counting University of Chicago applicants) and that has forced us to be ridiculously selective even with respect to unfunded non US participants."

Just to play it safe, I asked if I could participate as an unfunded student since I live close by so I'm quite surprised that they would have 450 students.

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Rise » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 am

djysyed wrote:
ya wrote:
I just got an acceptance, so looks like they are rolling out!


Congrats!!! I just got this email from Dr. May saying, "I am very sorry that we cannot accept you to our 2018 REU. Most unexpectedly, we had 450 applicants, up from under 300 last year (not counting University of Chicago applicants) and that has forced us to be ridiculously selective even with respect to unfunded non US participants."

Just to play it safe, I asked if I could participate as an unfunded student since I live close by so I'm quite surprised that they would have 450 students.


I'm sorry to hear you weren't admitted. If it's any consolation, they thought about you enough to let you know. Most of the REU's that rejected me didn't bother to write me a rejection email :evil:

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 am

relicant wrote:What is your profile? Are you from UChicago?


No, I am from a Liberal Arts College, dwf, 4.0. I am a non-graduating senior, so probably took a few more classes than most sophomores and juniors. Some grad classes and senior thesis in progress. I think my rec letters were pretty strong. I also applied last year, but was rejected. My top choice is MIT MSRP, though, so I am waiting on that one with fingers crossed :roll:

ya
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:22 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby ya » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 am

Rise wrote:
djysyed wrote:
ya wrote:
I just got an acceptance, so looks like they are rolling out!


Congrats!!! I just got this email from Dr. May saying, "I am very sorry that we cannot accept you to our 2018 REU. Most unexpectedly, we had 450 applicants, up from under 300 last year (not counting University of Chicago applicants) and that has forced us to be ridiculously selective even with respect to unfunded non US participants."

Just to play it safe, I asked if I could participate as an unfunded student since I live close by so I'm quite surprised that they would have 450 students.


I'm sorry to hear you weren't admitted. If it's any consolation, they thought about you enough to let you know. Most of the REU's that rejected me didn't bother to write me a rejection email :evil:


Same! This is so annoying :x

relicant
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby relicant » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:45 am

Didn't get a reply from any REU yet, applied to 10, including Chicago. Guess that's a bad sign then :/

Bottomology
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 am

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Postby Bottomology » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm

relicant wrote:Didn't get a reply from any REU yet, applied to 10, including Chicago. Guess that's a bad sign then :/


I also have not heard from Chicago. Have no idea if that’s a good thing or not...




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests