2018 Math REU Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
starlord37

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Post by starlord37 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am

Rise wrote:
International students are almost always automatically rejected. REU’s are funded by the NSF and are supposed to serve only Americans. I assume you were admitted without funding, otherwise that would be a pretty flagrant misuse of the NSF Grant
Many REUs also have funding from the host institution that allows for 1 or 2 international students to participate, sometimes more. That's why some REU sites say they do have some funding for international students.

nevtelen

Post by nevtelen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Below is my applicant profile with results from applications. I haven't been accepted to any so far and I presume I won't. Any input on my application is greatly appreciated.

Home Institution: Small state school with small math department. (One person in Math department who teaches all the upper-level classes)
Major: Mathematics
Minor: Philosophy
Class: Junior
GPA Overall: 4.0
Math GPA: 4.0
Awards: Dean's List - Highest Honors, Twice
Experience: No research experience, but I tutor mathematics and philosophy courses

Letters of recommendation:
Head of math department - good reference
Head of tutoring services, where I work on campus - she showed me the letter, it focused on my work ethic and passion. - good reference

In my statement of purpose, I focused on my work ethic, leadership abilities, and passion for mathematics. I described my own interests in both pure and applied mathematics and mentioned that I don't have any research opportunities at my home institution. I also mentioned that I am extremely interested in going to grad school and how this would help me reach my future goal.

Applications:
REUSUAMI - No reply
Emory - Rejected
IAS/Park City- No reply
Princeton - No reply
RIPS + RIPS Hong Kong - No reply
UConn - No reply
UMichigan - Rejected
UMichigan Dearborn - No reply
SMALL - No reply
Indiana - No reply
UT Tyler - No Reply
RIT - No reply

At this point, I am assuming that non-response = rejection. I am now exploring other options and trying to network to find some sort of research opportunity this summer. I really want to do something related to my future career this summer, whether it be in pure or applied math. One of the biggest challenges I faced in my applications is not really knowing what I want to do in mathematics. This is partly due to the fact that I have one math professor for all my higher-level courses. There are some cultural difference between he and I and we don't communicate the best. I have reached out to him many times and he has stated that he really doesn't want to work on a research project. Despite this, he wrote me a letter of recommendation for the REU programs.

What could I have done better? I would like to know for my applications to grad school. Also, what are my other options for math research this summer?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Are there any other universities around you which you could try to do some classes at? Reading courses will help you quite a bit since you have no other options available.

Edit: Wait, you could attend Budapest Semesters in Mathematics or Math in Moscow.

Rara22

Post by Rara22 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:46 pm

nevtelen wrote:Below is my applicant profile with results from applications. I haven't been accepted to any so far and I presume I won't. Any input on my application is greatly appreciated.

Home Institution: Small state school with small math department. (One person in Math department who teaches all the upper-level classes)
Experience: No research experience, but I tutor mathematics and philosophy courses

Head of tutoring services, where I work on campus - she showed me the letter, it focused on my work ethic and passion. - good reference

In my statement of purpose, I focused on my work ethic, leadership abilities, and passion for mathematics. I described my own interests in both pure and applied mathematics and mentioned that I don't have any research opportunities at my home institution. I also mentioned that I am extremely interested in going to grad school and how this would help me reach my future goal.

Applications:
REUSUAMI - No reply
Emory - Rejected
IAS/Park City- No reply
Princeton - No reply
UConn - No reply
UMichigan - Rejected
SMALL - No reply
Indiana - No reply
UT Tyler - No Reply
RIT - No reply

At this point, I am assuming that non-response = rejection. I am now exploring other options and trying to network to find some sort of research opportunity this summer. I really want to do something related to my future career this summer, whether it be in pure or applied math. One of the biggest challenges I faced in my applications is not really knowing what I want to do in mathematics. This is partly due to the fact that I have one math professor for all my higher-level courses. There are some cultural difference between he and I and we don't communicate the best. I have reached out to him many times and he has stated that he really doesn't want to work on a research project. Despite this, he wrote me a letter of recommendation for the REU programs.

What could I have done better? I would like to know for my applications to grad school. Also, what are my other options for math research this summer?
Hm, thats really weird because you seem like ideal candidate for a REU (bonus points if you’re female too!). I feel like REUs try to reach out to students who don’t have research opportunities at home institution and don’t really know what they want to research. I would tell you to be patient, many REUs haven’t decided yet and you may just be on the waitlist. I would give it another week or two.

etianss

Post by etianss » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Clemson has filled all positions for REU/pREU.

terrapot

Post by terrapot » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:24 am

nevtelen wrote:Below is my applicant profile with results from applications. I haven't been accepted to any so far and I presume I won't. Any input on my application is greatly appreciated.

Applications:
REUSUAMI - No reply
Emory - Rejected
IAS/Park City- No reply
Princeton - No reply
UConn - No reply
UMichigan - Rejected
SMALL - No reply
Indiana - No reply
UT Tyler - No Reply
RIT - No reply

If it helps, there is still hope for Park City. Their deadline to respond to an acceptance is April 2nd, and there is a waitlist. I will be rejecting.

peter

Post by peter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Home Institute: Large state school with medium math department
Major: Mathematics, Computer Science
Class: Senior(Not Graduating)
GPA: ~3.8; 4.0 in Math
Type of student: Non-minority, U.S. citizen

Experience:
Research: 2 years of self-motivated number theory research. 2 Months of university research.
Other: Mathematics tutor

Letters of Recommendation:
One from research advisor, who wrote a very lengthy(in a good way) letter. I did not see his letter but he told me that there was a lot of good things to say about my research.
One from a mathematics teacher I have had for the majority of my highest math courses.

Statement of purpose: Slightly tailored to each school. Mentioned dual major and the advantage of having C.S. under my belt. Described results of research and techniques I used(This was my strongest point, I think) Described interest in graduate school, and how each REU would help me obtain my goals.

EDIT: Coursework Requested
Relevant Coursework: (All A's or in progress)
Advanced Combinatorics
Abstract algebra I and II
Advanced Calculus I
Linear Algebra
Number Theory
Algorithms

Applications:
RIT - Offer, Accepted
Indiana - No reply, even after a phone call.
Missouri State - No reply.
Kent - Shortlisted, informed Kent that I have already been accepted elsewhere.

I assume that Indiana and Kent have rejected me. I do believe that RIT is still looking, so don't lose hope. I don't think Missouri has sent out letters, but correct me if I am wrong.
Last edited by peter on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gedt11

Post by gedt11 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Received an email telling me I am rejected by SMALL, just as expected.

triscuitador

Post by triscuitador » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 pm

Here's my applicant profile. I have yet to get an letter of acceptance, which has honestly gotten me pretty bummed out. Maybe someone can give some advice as to how I can improve my application for graduate school?
Demographic: DWM
Home Institution: Medium state school in New England. Has a sizeable math department, but it is not known for math and has almost no opportunities for undergrad math research.
GPA Overall: 3.7 (took a hit due to a late make-up final)
Math GPA: 3.8
Awards: A sizeable scholarship through the math department my sophomore year, and Dean's List my first and second year.
Experience: No research experience, as noted above. I tutor math and stats, grade papers for math courses, participated in the Directed Reading Program for two semesters, and taking independent study courses in model theory.

Assistant head of math department - have had him for three algebra courses, two of them at the graduate level.
A visiting professor - had him for a high-level undergrad course, graded analysis papers for him, and he was present when I gave a math presentation for my DRP project.

My statement of purpose focused on my goal of becoming a research professor, my interests in algebra and logic, why I was interested in the projects offered, and my somewhat restrictive financial situation (having to pay my own way through college makes unfunded research opportunities impossible, especially during the school year).

EDIT: Someone pointed out that coursework would be helpful, so I'll list the notable classes and grades:
In progress:
Graduate abstract algebra II
Graduate measure theory
Independent study in model theory
Taken:
Grad abstract algebra I (A)
Grad analysis I (A)
Grad topics course in computability (B+)
Independent study in model theory (A)
Abstract algebra II (B)
Abstract algebra I (A)
Analysis II (A)
Analysis I (A)
Abstract linear algebra (B+)
Intro to number theory (A)
Intro to math logic (A)

Applications:
UMichigan - Rejected
SMALL - Rejected
Indiana - No reply
UT Tyler - No Reply
Boise State - No reply
James Madison - Rejected
UChicago - Rejected
Texas A&M - Rejected
SUMSRI - No reply

I assume at this point my chances are nil. I'm pretty bummed out about this. I thought I had a fairly strong application, with five math graduate courses and several math extracurriculars. My advisor helps run my university's REU, and said I might have trouble getting in since it looks like there are more research opportunities for me than there really are (I did not apply for my home REU as both my advisor and I recognized it would be a poor fit). Still, I followed his advice in applying and hoped to get into at least one program. I got rejected from every program last year, too. Did I do something wrong? Is there something I can do to improve my application? I'm particularly worried because, while I'm good at math, I have trouble doing it quickly; that might affect my GRE subject score in the future.
Last edited by triscuitador on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

calisapna

Post by calisapna » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 am

I just heard from Missouri State, will be declining.

When someone denies admission, the program reaches out to waitlist-like candidates, right? (Meaning is it better that I tell them sooner rather than later to give someone else chance to decide?)

peter

Post by peter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 am

calisapna wrote:I just heard from Missouri State, will be declining.

When someone denies admission, the program reaches out to waitlist-like candidates, right? (Meaning is it better that I tell them sooner rather than later to give someone else chance to decide?)
Yes, from what I have learned this is true. If possible, tell them sooner than later.

cbrown

Post by cbrown » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 pm

I've been accepted to GVSU, denied from Clemson, and still waiting to hear back from everyone else. I'm wanting to hear back from Michigan-Dearborn pretty soon but doubt it'll happen; I asked them and they said about two weeks from this past Friday. As soon as I accept an offer (in the next two days) I'll mark myself "off the market" on mathprograms.org to save time for everyone involved.
ElectronicGeek wrote:I've received offers from the GVSU REU and the WPI Industrial REU. Does anyone have any advice which one I should accept? I'm interested in both pure and applied math, so I don't have too much of a preference either way.
Nice! We may end up meeting each other pretty soon in Michigan!

For anyone wondering what my application looked like:

Home institution: University of Arizona
Major: Mathematics, Computer Science
GPA Overall: 3.86
Awards: Dean's List for 4 semesters, missed Dean's List this fall though. Two poster presentation awards, one from JMM and one from the Shenandoah symposium. A few random computer science competition awards.
Experience: One past REU

In my essay, I tried to answer as straightforward as possible the three questions they asked. My essay was almost exactly 1,000 words long. I also tried to convey as much personality as possible and try to portray myself as the type of person you'd want to hang around and work with for an entire summer. I think (and this is pure speculation) that that plays a larger role in the selection process than anything else.

My transcript has quite a few blemishes (including a C in a physics course the semester before I applied :oops:), I come from a large research based university, and I found several pretty embarrassing typos in my essay after I submitted it. The imposter syndrome is real, but I'm going to approach it like I try to approach everything else; with enthusiasm and thankfulness!

**Edit to appease starlord37: I've taken graduate level linear algebra, ordinary diff eqs, applied math, group theory, and currently in ring theory.
Last edited by cbrown on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

All these applicant profiles are kinda useless if you don't list your coursework. Otherwise all we know is your GPA and your feelings

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Even if people were to list out their courses, some people's undergrad courses are equivalent to other's graduate courses. Moreover, some graduate courses could be taught by a math junkie who tries to finish a lot more topics than students can understand.

Ex: In 8 weeks, my Algebraic Topology course covered most of chapters 1,2 of Weibel and finished chapters 0, 1, 2 of Hatcher. God knows what we'll be doing for the next 8 weeks. Typically, the Algebraic Topology course at my school covers chapters 0, 1, 2, and most of 3 in one semester.

peter

Post by peter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm

djysyed wrote:Even if people were to list out their courses, some people's undergrad courses are equivalent to other's graduate courses. Moreover, some graduate courses could be taught by a math junkie who tries to finish a lot more topics than students can understand.
However, the REU application recipients don't know the rigor of the courses you take(Unless you are applying to your own or a local REU). Because of this, I would imagine the courses appear similar to each other, even though they are not necessarily similar.

cbrown

Post by cbrown » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:35 pm

peter wrote:However, the REU application recipients don't know the rigor of the courses you take(Unless you are applying to your own or a local REU). Because of this, I would imagine the courses appear similar to each other, even though they are not necessarily similar.
For a lot of applications, they ask for both course names and textbooks. That doesn't say anything about which chapters are covered or how in depth but probably gives REUs a good enough idea.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 am

Have you guys applied to Notre Dame's summer schools in Geometric Representation Theory and Geometry/Topology?

terrapot

Post by terrapot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 am

djysyed wrote:Have you guys applied to Notre Dame's summer schools in Geometric Representation Theory and Geometry/Topology?
I have.

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 pm

jjk23 wrote:
ya wrote:Anyone heard back from SMALL Number Theory group? I know I was short-listed but haven't heard back yet...
I got an email from Steven Miller saying he's talking to other groups and trying to get more funding so that he can take all the students he wants to. I didn't hear anything after that.
Alum lurking, sorry! Just a note: Prof Miller runs a bigger group than any of the other SMALL advisers, so it's not surprising to me that he might take on more if he can get the funding. Curious to see what comes of that. For you and others in the forum, my year they sent out an email to all applicants once all the positions were filled. If you haven't gotten that yet, there may still be a chance (or it's possible they're not notifying people like that this year).

ricketybug

Post by ricketybug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I already accepted an offer (because they had the March 8th deadline) but I just got an offer for my dream program. Would it be poor form t un-accpet the original program and accept the new offer? Are there rules about this across REU programs? It seems like it wouldn't be that bad considering there are probably a lot of students who would be happy to take my spot, and it's only been a few days since I accepted.

Rise

Post by Rise » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm

ricketybug wrote:I already accepted an offer (because they had the March 8th deadline) but I just got an offer for my dream program. Would it be poor form t un-accpet the original program and accept the new offer? Are there rules about this across REU programs? It seems like it wouldn't be that bad considering there are probably a lot of students who would be happy to take my spot, and it's only been a few days since I accepted.
That’s extremely rude and bridge-burning, but if you wont be in contact with any of the professors after this, you should do it anyways, especially if it’s what’s best for your career (ie UMich vs Small Indie College)

Edit:
Actually, don't do this if you want to stay in academia, no matter how much better your dream school's program is. Keep in mind that whoever you do this to will probably remember and hate you. Academia is a smaller world than you might think, and even professors at liberal arts colleges can have the connections to ruin your academic career. You made a big mistake by accepting a program you weren't ready to accept.
Last edited by Rise on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rara22

Post by Rara22 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:10 pm

ricketybug wrote:I already accepted an offer (because they had the March 8th deadline) but I just got an offer for my dream program. Would it be poor form t un-accpet the original program and accept the new offer? Are there rules about this across REU programs? It seems like it wouldn't be that bad considering there are probably a lot of students who would be happy to take my spot, and it's only been a few days since I accepted.
I did it last year but it was the same day I originally accepted the offer. I think it’s okay to be selfish in this situation and do what’s best for you and your future. However, do note that you probably have little possibility of getting into that same REU next year (and this may also affect your graduate application should you apply there).

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Whatever you do, DO NOT accept an REU offer and then turn it down for another place. I know students who have done this and the mathematical community quickly learns about it and will blackball students and possibly their school too.

ricketybug

Post by ricketybug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:14 pm

starlord37 wrote:
Whatever you do, DO NOT accept an REU offer and then turn it down for another place. I know students who have done this and the mathematical community quickly learns about it and will blackball students and possibly their school too.
Really? That seems so intense. I guess I was under the impression that this sort of thing was common in academia in general. Thanks for the info.

ricketybug

Post by ricketybug » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Rise wrote:
That’s extremely rude and bridge-burning, but if you wont be in contact with any of the professors after this, you should do it anyways, especially if it’s what’s best for your career (ie UMich vs Small Indie College)

Edit:
Actually, don't do this if you want to stay in academia, no matter how much better your dream school's program is. Keep in mind that whoever you do this to will probably remember and hate you. Academia is a smaller world than you might think, and even professors at liberal arts colleges can have the connections to ruin your academic career. You made a big mistake by accepting a program you weren't ready to accept.
Thanks for your advice but with all due respect, I definitely did not make a big mistake accepting the original program and it's ridiculous that you said that. I'm happy sticking with that program and if I hadn't accepted it I could have ended up with no program which would have been MUCH worse. I had no idea how acceptable and common it is to cancel an offer, so I was just asking in case it would be no big deal for me to switch.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Rise wrote: Actually, don't do this if you want to stay in academia, no matter how much better your dream school's program is. Keep in mind that whoever you do this to will probably remember and hate you. Academia is a smaller world than you might think, and even professors at liberal arts colleges can have the connections to ruin your academic career. You made a big mistake by accepting a program you weren't ready to accept.
That's pretty harsh but there certainly is some truth to it. I wouldn't say it's a big mistake or a mistake at all. He/she just played it safe by securing a position. If I were in this situation, I would accept by March 8th deadline and email the program I accepted and mention that I heard back from my top program of choice. Explicitly ask if they are okay with you accepting the other offer and, if they are not okay, you don't mind because you like both programs almost equally.

Rise

Post by Rise » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

ricketybug wrote:
Rise wrote:

Edit:
Thanks for your advice but with all due respect, I definitely did not make a big mistake accepting the original program and it's ridiculous that you said that. I'm happy sticking with that program and if I hadn't accepted it I could have ended up with no program which would have been MUCH worse. I had no idea how acceptable and common it is to cancel an offer, so I was just asking in case it would be no big deal for me to switch.
Sorry for the way that I worded it. While I do consider it a bad move to box yourself into this position, I came off more aggressive than I intended. I'm very glad to hear that you had a good offer and that it would have worked out regardless.

ya

Post by ya » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:44 am

Demographic: DWF
Home Institution: Small Liberal Arts
Class: Non-Graduating Senior
GPA Overall: 4.00+
Experience: 2 REUs -- one small one and another one was DIMACS/DIMATIA at Rutgers
Letters of recommendation: 2 Profs and one research mentor

I believe I had a pretty strong statement of purpose

EDIT:
In progress:
Graduate Algebra II
Graduate Probability Theory (Analysis II)
Senior Thesis in progress

Completed:
Graph Theory (A)
Probability (A)
Linear Algebra (A)
Combinatorics (A)
Real Analysis (A)
Real Analysis II – Measure Theory (A+)
Abstract Algebra (A+)
Differential Equations (A)
Design of Programming Languages (A+)
Operations Research (A)
Statistics I, II (A, A)
Object-Oriented Programming I, II (A, A)
Functional Programming (A)

Applications:
Baruch REU - Accepted
RIPS Hong Kong - Accepted
U Chicago - Accepted
SMALL (Williams) - Short-listed, then rejected
Duluth, U Minnesota - Rejected
Berkeley - Accepted
Clemson - Rejected
Emory - Rejected
Michigan - Rejected
Twin Cities, U MN - Accepted - Attending

MIT MSRP - math dept isn't taking any students this summer, so could't find placement
Fields Institute - ?
Leadership Alliance -?
Harvard - ?

Cartessia

Post by Cartessia » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I saw on one of the reddit threads that someone received an acceptance from Auburn two days ago. :(

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:48 pm

so what kind of stuff do y'all do for fun

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm

starlord37 wrote:so what kind of stuff do y'all do for fun
What's this "fun" that you speak of lol?

In all honesty, outside of working on math, I just play guitar, piano or binge watch a new show. Currently making my way through How to Get Away With Murder.

macloft

Post by macloft » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:29 am

I applied to SMALL which rejected me without any surprise. The other one was U of Michigan. They sent me an e-mail saying for funding reasons they rejected me earlier this March. It is probably because I'm international? lol I tried any way.. :D :D :D :D

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:29 pm

UT Tyler and Indiana just sent out rejections...bummer

metrictensor

Post by metrictensor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am

Has anyone had experience with asking a program for an update on your status, specifically in the situation of having received an acceptance elsewhere? I've got a week to accept an offer, but my top choice program may be releasing results around that time (based on last years timeline), and I'm not totally sure what the best way to phrase such a request is. Thanks!

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 am

metrictensor wrote:Has anyone had experience with asking a program for an update on your status, specifically in the situation of having received an acceptance elsewhere? I've got a week to accept an offer, but my top choice program may be releasing results around that time (based on last years timeline), and I'm not totally sure what the best way to phrase such a request is. Thanks!
I was in this exact situation twice, and it worked out so here's what you do. You email them. It can look something like this.
Subject: [Program] Application Update
Dear Person,

I recently applied to your program. Since, I have heard back from another program that wants me to reply by [date]. I was wondering if you could give me an update to the status of my application for your program, as your program is still my top choice.

Sincerely,
metrictensor

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 am

Boise State REU emailed last night for short 15 min interviews.

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am

MIT MSRP acceptances are out

metrictensor

Post by metrictensor » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks starlord37--

ssule8

Post by ssule8 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi folks, sorry to bug about SUAMI again, but I am concerned that they haven't been responding to my queries for a while now. Is there any way to reach out to them or at least know their response date? Since someone on the forum said that they respond in May, is it the case that SUAMI admits those who haven't been admitted anywhere else? I have received an offer, but it's from a programme at my own college, and I definitely prefer SUAMI to it. Should I tell SUAMI that I have received this offer? Will it damage my chances of admission? Anyone have any idea?

terrapot

Post by terrapot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm

ssule8 wrote:Hi folks, sorry to bug about SUAMI again, but I am concerned that they haven't been responding to my queries for a while now. Is there any way to reach out to them or at least know their response date? Since someone on the forum said that they respond in May, is it the case that SUAMI admits those who haven't been admitted anywhere else? I have received an offer, but it's from a programme at my own college, and I definitely prefer SUAMI to it. Should I tell SUAMI that I have received this offer? Will it damage my chances of admission? Anyone have any idea?
I checked my email and my exact admittance date last year was April 27. It could also be that there was a glitch last year that caused the responses to be sent out that late, as the topic of the acceptance last year was "Carnegie Mellon SUAMI 2017 offer--oops!".

I don't think it would hurt to drop them an email, although you did say they haven't been answering you. Would your own college be understanding if you tentatively accepted their offer?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Just got an acceptance to Missouri State's REU under Dr. Steven Senger. Anyone else planning to attend MSU?

Also, if I have $550 for travel, $4000 stipend, meal allowance and on-campus housing; what do I do with all that stipend money?

terrapot

Post by terrapot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:49 am

djysyed wrote:Just got an acceptance to Missouri State's REU under Dr. Steven Senger. Anyone else planning to attend MSU?

Also, if I have $550 for travel, $4000 stipend, meal allowance and on-campus housing; what do I do with all that stipend money?
First take out taxes and for the rest either save it, pay off loans, or buy your heart's desire. I did a mixture of all the above.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:01 am

djysyed wrote: Also, if I have $550 for travel, $4000 stipend, meal allowance and on-campus housing; what do I do with all that stipend money?
If you don't know what to do with it, you can always... gift them to another person... as a present... I can think of several ways so they don't go to waste :mrgreen:

metrictensor

Post by metrictensor » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Has anyone heard word from U-Conn?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 pm

lothiriell wrote: If you don't know what to do with it, you can always... gift them to another person... as a present... I can think of several ways so they don't go to waste :mrgreen:
You're right! I'll gift it to the universities whose graduate programs I'm applying to ;)

MegicF

Post by MegicF » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Just want to share...I was just rejected by AM-REU of NYU Courant this morning...

cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 am

I got accepted to ASU MTBI REU.This was the best option I had so I signed the acceptance form and send them.But yesterday surprisingly I got acceptance from Carnegie Mellon REU. The thing is I am international student.Thus,Carnegie has estimated total cost of around 7.5k for the whole internship period while ASU has offered me free housing and meals.Which one should I choose?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm

Free housing and meals.

evariste

Post by evariste » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Has anyone heard from the low dim topology summer school at Princeton?

cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:48 pm

djysyed wrote:Free housing and meals.
Finally,I chose Carnegie over ASU.