2018 Math REU Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
djysyed

Re: 2018 Math REU Thread

Post by djysyed » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 am

etianss wrote:
So I feel like you've looked into this more than I have: realistically, what path does one need to chart in grad school to become a research mathematician? Is it necessary to go to a school of this caliber? What's the difference between the #10 and the #100 school in terms of career prospects?

Something that I've been wondering recently.
Someone above has already linked a fairly good discussion of career prospects. What I want to highlight is the difference in standard between a #10 and a #100 graduate program. We first begin with an analysis of the curriculum at George Washington University, ranked #100ish by US News: http://bulletin.gwu.edu/arts-sciences/m ... oursestext

My first observation is that Graduate Real Analysis 1 and 2 are nothing more than the analysis aspect of metric spaces (as seen in Munkres' Topology) and an undergrad differential topology course (no sard's or deRahm stuff). There is a Measure Theory course which covers chapters 1, 2, 3.1, 3.2, 6.1, 6.2 in Folland. They seem to have some more analysis courses but still no advanced courses beyond standard first year stuff except Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems.

My second observation is that the Grad Algebra courses are just undergrad algebra courses at top 10 schools. No Commutative Algebra or Algebraic Geometry course is offered.

Third observation is that a typical undergrad point-set topology course is equivalent to their graduate point-set class. Algebraic Topology covers only half the material of first semester Algebraic Topology courses at Northwestern, Berkeley (other top 10 schools cover more). No further courses in Algebraic Topology. No graduate manifolds course. Couple courses in knot theory but that's it.

Now for UC Berkeley, as their standards are easiest from among the top 10:

Graduate Real Analysis 1 covers both Point-set topology and chapters 1,2 of folland. The second semester covers 3-6 extremely thoroughly. The later classes are all offered and are much more difficult than the first year analysis sequence.

Grad Algebra 1 covers all of George Washington's two semester course plus representation theory and category theory. The second semester goes into deeper category theory, homological algebra, and the first half of Eisenbud. Two very difficult courses in Algebraic Geometry, multiple other algebra courses are offered.

While GWU's Algebraic Topology course only covers chapter 1 and part of chapter 2, Berkeley's covers all of chapters 1-3 with some more discussion of manifolds and homological algebra. Algebraic Topology 2 is homotopy theory and more knot theory stuff. Multiple courses in manifolds and beyond.

In general, the problems sets are much more difficult at UC Berkeley than at GWU. Moreover, students at UC Berkeley have to pass a comprehensive exam on honors undergrad material and pass oral qualifying exams by the end of their second year.

etianss

Post by etianss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:06 am

djysyed wrote: Now for UC Berkeley, as their standards are easiest from among the top 10:

Graduate Real Analysis 1 covers both Point-set topology and chapters 1,2 of folland. The second semester covers 3-6 extremely thoroughly. The later classes are all offered and are much more difficult than the first year analysis sequence.

Grad Algebra 1 covers all of George Washington's two semester course plus representation theory and category theory. The second semester goes into deeper category theory, homological algebra, and the first half of Eisenbud. Two very difficult courses in Algebraic Geometry, multiple other algebra courses are offered.

While GWU's Algebraic Topology course only covers chapter 1 and part of chapter 2, Berkeley's covers all of chapters 1-3 with some more discussion of manifolds and homological algebra. Algebraic Topology 2 is homotopy theory and more knot theory stuff. Multiple courses in manifolds and beyond.

In general, the problems sets are much more difficult at UC Berkeley than at GWU. Moreover, students at UC Berkeley have to pass a comprehensive exam on honors undergrad material and pass oral qualifying exams by the end of their second year.
I'm assuming that you want to study math at that level of rigor. Do you ever doubt whether you could keep up with those courses and the insanely brilliant, hard-working classmates you'd have?

As for me, I worry about that sometimes... :)

Rise

Post by Rise » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:12 am

etianss wrote:
I'm assuming that you want to study math at that level of rigor. Do you ever doubt whether you could keep up with those courses and the insanely brilliant, hard-working classmates you'd have?

Don't let the imposter syndrome get you! If you're good enough to get in, you're good enough to graduate.

The schools are paying your tuition and giving you a stipend. It would be a total waste of money and make no sense on their part to admit someone that they thought couldn't complete the program.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 am

etianss wrote: I'm assuming that you want to study math at that level of rigor. Do you ever doubt whether you could keep up with those courses and the insanely brilliant, hard-working classmates you'd have?

Its not rigor, its depth and abstraction. In fact, its actually non-rigorous since a lot of basic proofs will be left for the student to read on his or her own time.

I absolutely doubt if I can keep up but that's the fun of it. Being selected is a pretty good indicator that you are capable of keeping up with insanely brilliant, hard-working classmates.

I wouldn't worry. Just as long as you keep pushing yourself, you'll notice tremendous growth in your ability after every year.

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 am

leholybernoulli wrote:Anyone heard from UT Tyler or University of Michigan-Dearborn?
Will be declining my offer from Tyler, hopefully that bodes well for you!!

ssule8

Post by ssule8 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Has anybody heard from Carnegie Mellon SUAMI or Worcester Polytechnic Institute's REU?

kaleighb

Post by kaleighb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Has anyone who applied for Clemson's pREU heard back yet? I'm a freshman, so I figure all of my other applications will probably be rejections, but I'm really hopeful about this one. I'm a little anxious because I really want it, so I was just wondering. Thanks!

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:43 pm

If anyone knows whether or not Oregon State has started notifying of acceptances, please let me know. I have an acceptance to Indiana's program but don't want to accept until I know whether or not I've been rejected to Oregon State.

etianss

Post by etianss » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm

kaleighb wrote:Has anyone who applied for Clemson's pREU heard back yet? I'm a freshman, so I figure all of my other applications will probably be rejections, but I'm really hopeful about this one. I'm a little anxious because I really want it, so I was just wondering. Thanks!
I don't know for sure, but I can say that the Clemson REU has all this year's participants listed on the website, and the pREU has none listed (while it has last year's listed), so.. I'm assuming that they're still looking? Best of luck :)

kaleighb

Post by kaleighb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm

etianss wrote:
kaleighb wrote:Has anyone who applied for Clemson's pREU heard back yet? I'm a freshman, so I figure all of my other applications will probably be rejections, but I'm really hopeful about this one. I'm a little anxious because I really want it, so I was just wondering. Thanks!
I don't know for sure, but I can say that the Clemson REU has all this year's participants listed on the website, and the pREU has none listed (while it has last year's listed), so.. I'm assuming that they're still looking? Best of luck :)
I noticed that too, so I guess there's still hope! Thank you :)

terrapot

Post by terrapot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 pm

ssule8 wrote:Has anybody heard from Carnegie Mellon SUAMI or Worcester Polytechnic Institute's REU?
I didn't apply to Carnegie this year but until you get a more suitable answer, last year I got the Carnegie acceptance in May.

Rara22

Post by Rara22 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:00 pm

terrapot wrote:
ssule8 wrote:Has anybody heard from Carnegie Mellon SUAMI or Worcester Polytechnic Institute's REU?
I didn't apply to Carnegie this year but until you get a more suitable answer, last year I got the Carnegie acceptance in May.
Holy crap. Do you know if you were a result of someone dropping out last second or was that an initial offer?

HJH009

Post by HJH009 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Anyone heard back from UChicago's shorlist? I have a deadline coming up to accept an offer so am hoping to hear back from them soon.

ya

Post by ya » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:32 am

Rara22 wrote:
terrapot wrote:
Holy crap. Do you know if you were a result of someone dropping out last second or was that an initial offer?
I also heard from CMU in May last year... Of course, declined because of another offer.

ALG1997

Post by ALG1997 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Since tomorrow is the common reply date, should I assume that I was declined from everywhere I didn't already hear back from? Quite disappointing not getting a single offer.

Rise

Post by Rise » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:34 pm

ALG1997 wrote:Since tomorrow is the common reply date, should I assume that I was declined from everywhere I didn't already hear back from? Quite disappointing not getting a single offer.
There might still be hope. Last year, I was admitted to programs two weeks after the common reply date.

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Has anyone heard back from PCMI?

Aladris

Post by Aladris » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Taylor wrote:Has anyone heard back from PCMI?
I got an e-mail from PCMI yesterday.

Wondering if anyone has heard back from UMichigan Dearborn's Analysis REU?

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Aladris wrote:

Are you accepted?

Aladris

Post by Aladris » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm

Taylor wrote:
Are you accepted?
Yes, I was accepted to the Undergraduate Summer School. The e-mail mentioned that there is a waiting list.

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Aladris wrote:
Taylor wrote:
Are you accepted?
Yes, I was accepted to the Undergraduate Summer School. The e-mail mentioned that there is a waiting list.
People who were waitlisted were emailed notifying them.

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am

Just got an offer from the Discrete Geometry group at Cornell SPUR/REU, really surprised that they'd consider me given my weak background.

etianss

Post by etianss » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:35 am

lapislazur wrote:Just got an offer from the Discrete Geometry group at Cornell SPUR/REU, really surprised that they'd consider me given my weak background.
Congrats!!

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am

lapislazur wrote:Just got an offer from the Discrete Geometry group at Cornell SPUR/REU, really surprised that they'd consider me given my weak background.
Congrats! I have a friend who will also be participating in a project there.

leholybernoulli

Post by leholybernoulli » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am

Aladris wrote:

I’ve contacted UMichigan Dearborn, they are still reviewing applications and should have final answers in about 1-2 weeks.

Aladris

Post by Aladris » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:17 pm

leholybernoulli wrote:
I’ve contacted UMichigan Dearborn, they are still reviewing applications and should have final answers in about 1-2 weeks.
:cry: Well at least there's still hope!

EGA

Post by EGA » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

djysyed wrote:
etianss wrote:
So I feel like you've looked into this more than I have: realistically, what path does one need to chart in grad school to become a research mathematician? Is it necessary to go to a school of this caliber? What's the difference between the #10 and the #100 school in terms of career prospects?

Something that I've been wondering recently.
My first observation is that Graduate Real Analysis 1 and 2 are nothing more than the analysis aspect of metric spaces (as seen in Munkres' Topology) and an undergrad differential topology course (no sard's or deRahm stuff). There is a Measure Theory course which covers chapters 1, 2, 3.1, 3.2, 6.1, 6.2 in Folland. They seem to have some more analysis courses but still no advanced courses beyond standard first year stuff except Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems.

My second observation is that the Grad Algebra courses are just undergrad algebra courses at top 10 schools. No Commutative Algebra or Algebraic Geometry course is offered.

Third observation is that a typical undergrad point-set topology course is equivalent to their graduate point-set class. Algebraic Topology covers only half the material of first semester Algebraic Topology courses at Northwestern, Berkeley (other top 10 schools cover more). No further courses in Algebraic Topology. No graduate manifolds course. Couple courses in knot theory but that's it.

Now for UC Berkeley, as their standards are easiest from among the top 10:

I disagree with this being the biggest difference (or even a big difference at all) between highly ranked schools and lower ranked schools. I personally come from a school unranked by the US News, yet after conversations with multiple students from top schools (Michigan, Stanford, etc...) I'm under the impression that my algebraic topology course was easily on par with their graduate course (we covered chapters 2 and 3 of Hatcher, higher homotopy groups, and the first chapter of Bott and Tu in a single semester), my algebraic geometry course covered the first five chapters of Liu's book, and my other coursework was at least comparable.

The biggest difference is research community. At my school, there are maybe three or four strong graduate students (who would only be average at an elite university) and a couple of them are leaving for better schools. Also, there are only four professors who work in pure math. At strong math departments (say roughly top 30) all of your peers will be excellent, your professors will be leaders in their fields, and there will be consistent talks from distinguished researchers from other schools. If you're trying to become a research mathematician, this type of environment is extremely conducive to producing interesting results as you're constantly exposed to the state of the art in a wide variety of mathematical disciplines.

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 pm

etianss wrote:
Congrats!!
OwlMath wrote:
Congrats! I have a friend who will also be participating in a project there.
Thanks guys! Very excited rn, we’ve been covering discrete geometry recently in the least expectable course I could think of (machine learning) and it’s super interesting, so I’m really looking forward to working on the theoretical part this summer.

Cartessia

Post by Cartessia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Texas A&M sent me a rejection email a few hours ago. Congrats to people who got in!

Has anyone heard from Auburn or Minn-Twin Cities yet?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm

I got the rejection from Baruch. Still yet to hear back from about 7 other REUs.

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Cartessia wrote:Texas A&M sent me a rejection email a few hours ago. Congrats to people who got in!

Has anyone heard from Auburn or Minn-Twin Cities yet?
Auburn has yet to send out anything.
After receiving another acceptance I sent an email to Auburn asking where they were in their process and they informed me they won’t start processing apps til next week.

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:12 pm

djysyed wrote:I got the rejection from Baruch. Still yet to hear back from about 7 other REUs.
How many did you apply to? I applied to 11 and got accepted to two and have either been rejected or haven’t been heard back from the rest.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm

OwlMath wrote: How many did you apply to? I applied to 11 and got accepted to two and have either been rejected or haven’t been heard back from the rest.
I honestly lost count. I applied to seven programs on mathprogram.org and about five others. My university informed me that they will have some sort of directed reading program modeled after UChicago's REU so hopefully I can get in lol.

peter

Post by peter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Just got an offer from Rochester, and I am stoked. Does anyone know if the math REU at Indiana is still accepting? It seems that they have sent the first round of offers out. Has anyone accepted an offer from Indiana?

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:47 pm

peter wrote:Just got an offer from Rochester, and I am stoked. Does anyone know if the math REU at Indiana is still accepting? It seems that they have sent the first round of offers out. Has anyone accepted an offer from Indiana?
I've accepted an offer from Indiana and from the looks of their past programs, they usually only accept one student per project, so I Imagine positions will fill quickly.

tothetop

Post by tothetop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Has anyone heard back from IUPUI, SUMSRI, or NIMBios? :|

peter

Post by peter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I have accepted the offer from RIT(For Ramsey Numbers). Has anyone else been accepted to Rochester? If so, in what project?

xml

Post by xml » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:14 pm

OwlMath wrote:
peter wrote:Just got an offer from Rochester, and I am stoked. Does anyone know if the math REU at Indiana is still accepting? It seems that they have sent the first round of offers out. Has anyone accepted an offer from Indiana?
I've accepted an offer from Indiana and from the looks of their past programs, they usually only accept one student per project, so I Imagine positions will fill quickly.
I just received an email offer from Indiana (surprised because I don't think I sent them my transcript), but I already committed to UT Tyler earlier today. If I didn't do that then I would've had 30 minutes to decide which one to attend :( . Which project from Indiana are you interested in?

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

xml wrote:
OwlMath wrote:
I just received an email offer from Indiana (surprised because I don't think I sent them my transcript), but I already committed to UT Tyler earlier today. If I didn't do that then I would've had 30 minutes to decide which one to attend :( . Which project from Indiana are you interested in?
As far as I know, I will be working on the project “Searching for Congruence Surfaces”.

ALG1997

Post by ALG1997 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 pm

tothetop wrote:Has anyone heard back from IUPUI, SUMSRI, or NIMBios? :|
MSRI sent out their first round of acceptances and the wait list last week. Source: my advisor at my home school is a director for the MSRI program.

tothetop

Post by tothetop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:23 pm

ALG1997 wrote:
MSRI sent out their first round of acceptances and the wait list last week. Source: my advisor at my home school is a director for the MSRI program.
Are you referring to the MSRI program in Berkeley or the summer program at Miami University? (both are called MSRI so i just want to clarify)

starlord37

Post by starlord37 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 pm

tothetop wrote:
ALG1997 wrote:
Are you referring to the MSRI program in Berkeley or the summer program at Miami University? (both are called MSRI so i just want to clarify)
He's talking about the MSRI-UP program in Berkeley, CA. SUMSRI sent out acceptances a day or two ago.

ALG1997

Post by ALG1997 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm

MSRI sent out their first round of acceptances and the wait list last week. Source: my advisor at my home school is a director for the MSRI program.[/quote]
Are you referring to the MSRI program in Berkeley or the summer program at Miami University? (both are called MSRI so i just want to clarify)[/quote]

My mistake. I was not aware of this.

ptnkt1215

Post by ptnkt1215 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Since most people have received the result, can you guys share some information in your profile so that we can learn from?

I'll start:

Year: Sophomore
Undergrad Institution: LAC
Major(s): Mathematics and Political Science
GPA: 3.7
Type of Student: Intl' Asian

Coursework: math modeling (linear algebra, multivariate calculus, graph theory and numerical methods), algorithm, statistics, econometrics and optimization methods
Research Experience: 3 months of research in empirical finance with a professor from my institution.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Silver at IMO, HM at interdisciplinary contest in modeling
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a quant researcher for an Australian fund and faculty assistant for my professor

Applied to 12, got accepted to 1 and I assume that I was rejected by the rest. I really want to find out what I was missing to prepare for grad application.

*Edit: Added coursework
Last edited by ptnkt1215 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:28 pm

As an IMO medalist, schools will want you to get straight A's in all your math classes and outshine the rest of your classmates. If you don't, then mathematicians may think that you're just good at solving contrived problems. Unfortunately, IMO medalists have it a little harder in that way.

ptnkt1215

Post by ptnkt1215 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:31 pm

djysyed wrote:As an IMO medalist, schools will want you to get straight A's in all your math classes and outshine the rest of your classmates. If you don't, then mathematicians may think that you're just good at solving contrived problems. Unfortunately, IMO medalists have it a little harder in that way.
Thanks for your insight, I guess that I have to buff up my score real hard then.

Rise

Post by Rise » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 am

ptnkt1215 wrote:Since most people have received the result, can you guys share some information in your profile so that we can learn from?

I'll start:

Research Experience: 3 months of research in empirical finance with a professor from my institution.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Silver at IMO, HM at interdisciplinary contest in modeling
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a quant researcher for an Australian fund and faculty assistant for my professor

Applied to 12, got accepted to 1 and I assume that I was rejected by the rest. I really want to find out what I was missing to prepare for grad application.
International students are almost always automatically rejected. REU’s are funded by the NSF and are supposed to serve only Americans. I assume you were admitted without funding, otherwise that would be a pretty flagrant misuse of the NSF Grant

ptnkt1215

Post by ptnkt1215 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:48 am

Rise wrote:
ptnkt1215 wrote:Since most people have received the result, can you guys share some information in your profile so that we can learn from?

I'll start:

International students are almost always automatically rejected. REU’s are funded by the NSF and are supposed to serve only Americans. I assume you were admitted without funding, otherwise that would be a pretty flagrant misuse of the NSF Grant
I'm an international student but I'm still studying at an American institution though. Bunch of my friends got admitted to REUs, one of them even got in SMALL in his first year. This is why I'm pretty bummed.

Rise

Post by Rise » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 am

ptnkt1215 wrote:
I'm an international student but I'm still studying at an American institution though. Bunch of my friends got admitted to REUs, one of them even got in SMALL in his first year. This is why I'm pretty bummed.
That isn't enough -- you have to have American citizenship to be eligible to be supported by the NSF. Were your friends domestic students?

I also understand that it might be disappointing to be discriminated against based on nationality, but it's the rules of the people who fund the programs :( . But I promise, grad school apps will be much more in your favor, since you have a really strong profile. Plenty of international students I know at my school that got barred from applying to REU's ended up at prestigious grad schools. To name a few: UC Berkeley, UCLA, NYU (Applied Math).

ElectronicGeek

Post by ElectronicGeek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am

I've received offers from the GVSU REU and the WPI Industrial REU. Does anyone have any advice which one I should accept? I'm interested in both pure and applied math, so I don't have too much of a preference either way.