The April 15th Deadline

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Junaid456

The April 15th Deadline

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 am

Hi,

Assume that I have accepted an offer from university X before the April 15th deadline. If university Y accepts me off the wait list after the April 15th deadline, is it possible for me to decline university X's initial offer after the deadline has passed?

math94

Re: The April 15th Deadline

Post by math94 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:31 am

How can you decline an offer that you already officially accepted and committed to?
Do you mean lying to them about accepting?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:35 am

math94 wrote:How can you decline an offer that you already officially accepted and committed to?
Do you mean lying to them about accepting?
That's my question. What can one do if the wait lists are processed after the April 15th deadline? Ideally, I, like everyone else, wouldn't want to pass on a offer just to see if I get off the wait list for another school. I know the chances of getting accepted off the wait list after the April 15th deadline are minimal, but I have seen (on grad cafe) students have gotten into good schools off the wait list after the April 15th deadline. Again, I'm not sure what's the policy/convention that's followed in such cases.

I'm worried as I already have been wait listed at one school (and admitted to another w/o funding for now). :/

math94

Post by math94 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:37 am

I wouldn't cause any problems to the institution which actually did things on time. If anything, tell the ones who wouldn't let you know as late as april 15th to hurry up.

Forte

Post by Forte » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 am

math94 wrote:I wouldn't cause any problems to the institution which actually did things on time. If anything, tell the ones who wouldn't let you know as late as april 15th to hurry up.
This sounds about right. You can't really lie to a university and accept then not go. It's wrong on so many levels and also ruins your reputation in the academic community.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 am

Right. That sounds fair.

ChlorophyII

Post by ChlorophyII » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am

I think everyone on this website knows something about game theory, and we all know what the extreme case is like. But, reality is reality, and every single action in this game takes time. So please do some favor to others, if you have already got your desired offer, especially one from a top-notch school. You are appreciated by a lot of people, due to the chain reaction. God only knows whether the ones you saved will be your future collaborators or not.
May everyone gets what s\he deserves.
:D

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 pm

ChlorophyII wrote:I think everyone on this website knows something about game theory, and we all know what the extreme case is like. But, reality is reality, and every single action in this game takes time. So please do some favor to others, if you have already got your desired offer, especially one from a top-notch school. You are appreciated by a lot of people, due to the chain reaction. God only knows whether the ones you saved will be your future collaborators or not.
May everyone gets what s\he deserves.
:D
True. I most definitely don't have my desired offer as of yet. Fingers crossed though.

ShockerMath

Post by ShockerMath » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm

I think the answer here comes down to if they offer you financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship). If your school abides by the Council of Graduate Schools, then there is a resolution about this April 15th deadline that should help (http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/fi ... ct2017.pdf).

In short, it says that in the case that you wish to retract your acceptance of an offer (perhaps to accept a better one at a different school) before April 15th, you would write a written resignation to the school you are retracting from (sent before April 15th). In the case that you wish to retract your acceptance of an offer after April 15th, you must first receive a written release from the school you are retracting from before you can accept the new offer.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:44 pm

ShockerMath wrote:I think the answer here comes down to if they offer you financial support (such as a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship). If your school abides by the Council of Graduate Schools, then there is a resolution about this April 15th deadline that should help (http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/fi ... ct2017.pdf).

In short, it says that in the case that you wish to retract your acceptance of an offer (perhaps to accept a better one at a different school) before April 15th, you would write a written resignation to the school you are retracting from (sent before April 15th). In the case that you wish to retract your acceptance of an offer after April 15th, you must first receive a written release from the school you are retracting from before you can accept the new offer.
Thank you for sharing the link.