Is it harder for master students to be admitted to a PhD program?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ArtinWedderburn

Is it harder for master students to be admitted to a PhD program?

Post by ArtinWedderburn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:52 pm

I am curious if I go to a master program and apply to PhD programs two years later, will admission committees set some higher standards for me (compared to undergraduate applicants)? Or do they view every applicant equally, regardless of the amount of time the applicant spends on math?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Re: Is it harder for master students to be admitted to a PhD program?

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 pm

ArtinWedderburn wrote:I am curious if I go to a master program and apply to PhD programs two years later, will admission committees set some higher standards for me (compared to undergraduate applicants)? Or do they view every applicant equally, regardless of the amount of time the applicant spends on math?
Well I'm a master's student currently so I guess I'll find out soon enough :lol:

I have heard that it looks good to PhD programs if you have master's, but I'm not really sure. You could search the web for more info.

In my personal opinion, it was a very good decision for me. I now have way more mathematical maturity and experience, and I have significantly narrowed my research interests. So when I applied for PhD programs they were all based on the people I wanted to work with and not so much the rankings (although that played a role too).
Last edited by FreddieBiddleBooty on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nothing

Re: Is it harder for master students to be admitted to a PhD program?

Post by nothing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

I think it really depends on your letters and personal connections