Profile Eval/Personal Statement Help

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ConcernedSenior18

Profile Eval/Personal Statement Help

Postby ConcernedSenior18 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:01 pm

Could someone take a look at my profile and let me know how it looks? I'm really worried about getting into a graduate program. Also, I could use some help with how to write a great personal statement. I'm struggling a little bit, but I want to make sure I have an amazing personal statement for my top choice.

Undergrad institution: Small liberal arts university in the northeast
Majors: Mathematics, Biomathematics (double major)
Minor: Philosophy
GPA: 3.88 overall, 3.94 in Mathematics major
Type of Student: Domestic white female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 167 (92%)
V: 160 (82%)
W: 4.0 (86%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 620 (42%) - only submitted where required

Program Applying: Pure Mathematics, particularly interested in coding theory and discrete mathematics

Research Experience: Summer REU at Princeton in computational biology, presented research in graph theory at multiple undergraduate conferences (all talks), currently working on a senior thesis in coding theory and will be presenting a poster at the end of January on some of the results
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Honors Program, Pi Mu Epsilon, expect to graduate summa cum laude, Dean's List Every Semester so far
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Mathematics tutor at my university since 2nd semester freshman year
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I'm close with all of my recommenders, and believe my letters will be strong. One of my recommenders has known me since first semester freshman year and has had me for 4 classes - Calc III and 3 upper-division (300 and 400 level) classes
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: N/A

Applying to Where:
Princeton University - Submitted, Pending 1/9/2018
NC State - Submitted, Pending 1/9/2018
Lehigh University - Submitted, Pending 1/9/2018
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Submitted, Pending 1/9/2018
University of Virginia
University of Kentucky
University of Nebraska at Lincoln - dream school
Binghamton
University of Delaware

UNL is my dream school, as I feel that their program is the perfect fit for me, and I have been to NCUWM and am going again so I know that I like the location. Their application is due soon and I want to make my personal statement as strong as possible for them especially. In my current statement, I talk about how going to the conference inspired me to believe in myself and pursue a graduate education in mathematics. Does anyone familiar with the school have any suggestions on what I should definitely mention in my personal statement?

Also, I'm really worried about not getting in anywhere. What do you think of my chances of getting accepted somewhere?

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”