Subject Gre score for Masters

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Anonymousaf

Subject Gre score for Masters

Post by Anonymousaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am

I took the Mathematics Subject GRE Test recently and scored 790(77 percentile). Is this score really bad?? I aim to apply for Masters Programs in US and Europe in good universities like Georgia Tech, Penn state, Minnesota. The reason I am asking this question is that I do not have a bachelor degree in Mathematics but in a different field. Do they consider that??

korobeiniki

Re: Subject Gre score for Masters

Post by korobeiniki » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 am

That score is fine for pretty much any program other than maybe a PhD in the top 5-10 schools (and even then, lots of people have been accepted there with worse scores). Majoring in mathematics vs other subjects does matter, but what's more important is what kind of math classes you took. Surely masters programs have more relaxed standards than PhD programs, but you shouldn't view the program as another bachelor opportunity. It is probably better if you majored in a related field like physics or engineering or something along those lines.

Anonymousaf

Re: Subject Gre score for Masters

Post by Anonymousaf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 pm

Thank You for your reply. I have a minor in mathematics and so I have taken most pure math courses that are must for a grad school applicant like calculus, real analysis, linear algebra, abstract algebra, topology etc. I do not view masters as another bachelors, my aim is to eventually do a PhD in pure math. I just wanted to know if that Subject GRE score will be a hindrance to my admit.