What Schools Should I Apply To

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Mr Prof

What Schools Should I Apply To

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 am

These are the schools I have decided to apply to:

Over reach: princeton, washington univ, ucla, ohio state univ
reach: texas at austin, georgia tech, penn state, pittsburgh, dartmouth
safety: stony brook, notre dame,univ of florida, texas a & m, michigan state

QUESTIONS
Am I too ambitious to apply to these schools given my profile?
Can anyone suggest to me the ideal schools for me given my profile?

MY PROFILE

Type of student: International Applicant (from West Africa)
Major: Mathematics
GPA: 4.4/5 (3.63/4 ?)

Quant: 162
Verbal: 145 (messed it up)
AWA: 4.0

Math Subject Test: 570 (didn't impress myself )

TOEFL: Not Yet Available

Program Applying: Pure Math (PhD), Applied Math (PhD)
Note: I recently decided to also consider applied math because my subject test score is low and some applied math courses do not require the score.

Note:
(1)I am not thinking of taking any of the tests again
(2)I am not sure any of the profs who will be writing my recommendation letter is well known in their fields. However, I know one of them got his PhD from an elite school (one of the top 10 schools in the world).
(3) Although I have a research paper, I am yet to publish it.

I will really appreciate an honest response. Thanks.

aa777

Re: What Schools Should I Apply To

Post by aa777 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 am

Hi, I would suggest you look for more safety schools. Your subject score isn't great and the general GRE is also average. In my opinion, you would be wasting your money by applying to the over reach schools (that's what I think). If money is not an issue, there's no harm in applying.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:37 am

aa777 wrote:Hi, I would suggest you look for more safety schools. Your subject score isn't great and the general GRE is also average. In my opinion, you would be wasting your money by applying to the over reach schools (that's what I think). If money is not an issue, there's no harm in applying.
Hi. I'm more or less in the same boat as the OP. Here's the post I posted: "http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4244"

Suggestions for safety schools?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 am

aa777 wrote:Hi, I would suggest you look for more safety schools. Your subject score isn't great and the general GRE is also average. In my opinion, you would be wasting your money by applying to the over reach schools (that's what I think). If money is not an issue, there's no harm in applying.
Based on what the OP has stated about their profile, I agree with this. However, OP never mentioned which courses he or she has taken so it is hard to determine. I know some students who have taken some graduate courses but performed subpar on the GRE. These students have a shot at top 20 schools however.

nothing

Post by nothing » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 am

Princeton, ut austin, ucla, psu and ohio state are all strict about the subject test ( for international students). However, it depends a lot on your personal connections. To know whether your recommender is wellknown or not, look at their collaborators and the journals on which they published papers. The best journals are annals, inventiones, journal of ams, acta mathematica ( be careful as there are a lot of journals with similar names) , a journal of IHES. I defined "best" as any publication on one of these journal almost guarantee a job in academia. You can find a list on austm. Although it's not very accurate but all of the A* journals there are high quality ones.