List of Universities that offer MS/MA in applied math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
qwerty.uiop

List of Universities that offer MS/MA in applied math

Post by qwerty.uiop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi! I pursued mechanical engineering in my undergraduate which wasn't my favourite. My university didn't really have an option to change majors. So anyway, I'm interested in applying for an MS in applied math. I haven't been able to give the GRE Subject test in mathematics this year.

(1) I'm trying to identify universities that offer MA/MS programs in applied mathematics, along with their rankings.
(2) Universities in (1) that do not require the MGRE subject test
(3) Universities in (2) that might be realistic for me given my undergraduate in mechanical engineering.

I've searched myself and came up with these universities. How would you rank them in order of difficulty in getting in and quality of the program? Also, which other University/program am I missing out on?

UofWash (doesn't mention MGRE, have emailed to ask if they recommend it)
JHU (doesn't mention MGRE, have emailed to ask if they recommend it)
UCDavis (needs MGRE)
UPenn (doesn't mention but recommends MGRE)
U of Minnesota (doesn't mention MGRE but says CS or Stats or Math UG background is preferred :(,
have emailed to ask if they recommend it )
U of Illinois at Chicago (doesn't mention MGRE, have emailed to ask if they recommend it)

One more very important question: I've read a bit on a few forums that in some universities the MA/MS program in applied math are absolute bullshit even if the PhD programs are very good. That's because they're totally self-paid which indirectly covers the costs for PhD students and secondly the faculty don't really devote a lot of time to the MS/MA students. How true is that?

djysyed

Re: List of Universities that offer MS/MA in applied math

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:04 am

I'm a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The Masters in Applied Math is tough because the PhD program is very strong. Any graduate class is beefed up to a level which challenges the top grad students in the PhD program.

qwerty.uiop

Post by qwerty.uiop » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm

djysyed wrote:I'm a student at the University of Illinois at Chicago. The Masters in Applied Math is tough because the PhD program is very strong. Any graduate class is beefed up to a level which challenges the top grad students in the PhD program.
Are you in the MS or PhD program?

Are students in the MS program from diverse backgrounds or they're mostly from math UGs?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Neither, I'm an undergrad who has taken a few graduate courses so I usually talk to the graduate students. Most of them were Math (applied focus) or Stats undergrads.

kazenobak

Post by kazenobak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:34 pm

i don't think get a MS in US is a good idea. It will take about ~60k $ for 2 years. You can take a gap year, try to get some research exp and a decent score on MGRE (75th+ percentile) and apply for the PhD

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 pm

kazenobak wrote:i don't think get a MS in US is a good idea. It will take about ~60k $ for 2 years. You can take a gap year, try to get some research exp and a decent score on MGRE (75th+ percentile) and apply for the PhD
Some schools give allow you to be a TA in addition to a tuition waiver. I know UIC gives about 24K per year to any graduate student in the Math, Statistics and Mathematical Computer Science departments.

kazenobak

Post by kazenobak » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Yes, but it is hard to get tuition benefit for MS degree. In most case, tuition benefit and TAship are given to PhD student