Official transcripts

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
kishady
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Official transcripts

Postby kishady » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:37 am

I hope this is not too off topic, but from what I understand universities don't require official transcripts to be sent at first, right? They only ask for them after admission. But what about Standford? They mention that two copies of the official transcript should be sent to the department. Does it mean, one has to do it before the deadline? Or also only once requested to do so? Are there any other universities that require official transcripts before the deadline?

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Could someone please show their transcript? My university does not make it so I would need to do it myself and it would be very helpful for me to know any legit formats for a transcript.

DDswife
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby DDswife » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:46 am

What do you mean? You can’t create your own transcript, as far as I know. Your university should provide you with something that certifies your grades and coursework

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 am

I mean that in some countries some universities dont give you anything like a transcript at all, they only give a diploma after completing the education. This means I have to make something like a transcript myself and then the university officials will sign it and put stamps. The same is with rec. letters as most of the profs are not willing to write anyhting but they can easily sign and send the letter after you write it for yourself.

lambert
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 am

Re: Official transcripts

Postby lambert » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

...what? What kind of university is this?

This sounds sketchy as hell, but before you do anything like this you probably need to check with each program you're applying to that they're OK with this. I'm pretty sure every program universally would reject any transcript or 'letter of recommendation' written and prepared by yourself.

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:30 am

Thats more a matter of the country than the university. So how they would know that I made docs myself since they would be oficially signed and all?

Tianma799
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Tianma799 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am

lambert wrote:...what? What kind of university is this?

This sounds sketchy as hell, but before you do anything like this you probably need to check with each program you're applying to that they're OK with this. I'm pretty sure every program universally would reject any transcript or 'letter of recommendation' written and prepared by yourself.


There's nothing sketchy here. What happened in where I studied before was that there would be someone signed the transcript, and before they signed it they would check the grade. The university just don't provide paper transcript, instead you need to know the format and print it yourself.

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

Yes, thats just what I meant!

Tianma799
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Tianma799 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am

Andreas wrote:Could someone please show their transcript? My university does not make it so I would need to do it myself and it would be very helpful for me to know any legit formats for a transcript.

Ask people who do the signature job, they should know the format.

lambert
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:41 am

Re: Official transcripts

Postby lambert » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:58 am

Tianma799 wrote:
lambert wrote:...what? What kind of university is this?

This sounds sketchy as hell, but before you do anything like this you probably need to check with each program you're applying to that they're OK with this. I'm pretty sure every program universally would reject any transcript or 'letter of recommendation' written and prepared by yourself.


There's nothing sketchy here. What happened in where I studied before was that there would be someone signed the transcript, and before they signed it they would check the grade. The university just don't provide paper transcript, instead you need to know the format and print it yourself.


The sketchy party mostly referred to writing your own letters of recommendation.

Tianma799
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Tianma799 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm

lambert wrote:
Tianma799 wrote:
lambert wrote:...what? What kind of university is this?

This sounds sketchy as hell, but before you do anything like this you probably need to check with each program you're applying to that they're OK with this. I'm pretty sure every program universally would reject any transcript or 'letter of recommendation' written and prepared by yourself.


There's nothing sketchy here. What happened in where I studied before was that there would be someone signed the transcript, and before they signed it they would check the grade. The university just don't provide paper transcript, instead you need to know the format and print it yourself.


The sketchy party mostly referred to writing your own letters of recommendation.


Sorry I skipped that part. About that, yes it is sketchy and was what happened in where I studied before (Bad four tier no name foreign college). So LORs are pretty much useless. I.guess that's why the bar of GRE subject is higher for international students.

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Yeah, thanks for answering, but I have already asked my office of studies and they just replied that they can only show how the diploma look alike and as for transcripts - they will sign it since everything is ok with the marks and the titles.
And as for rec. letters I see it more as a minus since I will need to write it myself and not to write too much. Anyway all of the profs will sign and the letters only if they are ok with them, they know me really good and we have great relationships i guess, but I think that this is just how things are done here - so that is why I dont think that it is sketchy.

Tianma799
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Tianma799 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 am

Andreas wrote:Yeah, thanks for answering, but I have already asked my office of studies and they just replied that they can only show how the diploma look alike and as for transcripts - they will sign it since everything is ok with the marks and the titles.
And as for rec. letters I see it more as a minus since I will need to write it myself and not to write too much. Anyway all of the profs will sign and the letters only if they are ok with them, they know me really good and we have great relationships i guess, but I think that this is just how things are done here - so that is why I dont think that it is sketchy.


If that's the case then it should be fine. I don't think there's any "format" for transcripts as long as you include all the necessary information like courses titles,number of credits of the courses, what grades you get, gpa, major gpa, length of degree, what you major in, etc. Anyway the admission committee get used to various kind of transcripts so that shouldn't be a problem.

Andreas
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Official transcripts

Postby Andreas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:26 am

Ok, thank you!




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests