What Area of Mathematics are you Interested in?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
djysyed

What Area of Mathematics are you Interested in?

Postby djysyed » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm sure many people are stressing out about admissions so I thought I would help release the tension by starting a discussion on which areas of mathematics each of us is pursuing for graduate school and what led us to make that decision. Many people on this forum have quite the background from graduate courses so don't let them scare you. To each their own

My current interests are in Homotopy Theory and Algebraic Geometry. Although I don't have much knowledge of Algebraic Geometry beyond the first few sections of Hartshorne, whatever little part of it I saw was very intriguing. I've seen the categorical aspect of Homotopy Theory but never saw the algebraic topology side so I hope to study that in the spring.

roboticbass

Re: What Area of Mathematics are you Interested in?

Postby roboticbass » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Yep, already stressing out and it's only November 5th. It's gonna be a loooong couple of months.

My current interests are in hyperbolic geometry and geometric analysis. I've done fairly extensive studies in different areas of hyperbolic geometry (axiomatic approach, Poincare models, 3-manifolds) and I'm just starting to get into geometric analysis with one of my professors. I'm taking a course in the spring on it, and the rest of my courseload is pretty light so I'll have some time to do outside research too.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”