Page 18 of 25

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:21 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
hooruru1995 wrote:The director of Graduate Studies from UIUC sent me an email notifying I am on the waitlist today. They ask me, if I am still interested, to send my response with area of ok nterests and/or a professor who I want to work with. To be honest, I do not have any specific area of interests. Because of my lack of exposure to any research experience. What would be the best response I can make with this?

Also, I got an email from IU Bloomington last week that I am on the list for considerations and they ask me if I am still interested. They said they will have more info about my offer this week. Is it safe to think I am (un)officially accpeted to here?


I am no expert, but I would just be honest and express interest in their program (assuming you actually are interested in their program). Do you have a broader area of interest in mathematics? You could mention why you'd like to study there and in what direction you might want to go in.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 pm
by hooruru1995
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
hooruru1995 wrote:The director of Graduate Studies from UIUC sent me an email notifying I am on the waitlist today. They ask me, if I am still interested, to send my response with area of ok nterests and/or a professor who I want to work with. To be honest, I do not have any specific area of interests. Because of my lack of exposure to any research experience. What would be the best response I can make with this?

Also, I got an email from IU Bloomington last week that I am on the list for considerations and they ask me if I am still interested. They said they will have more info about my offer this week. Is it safe to think I am (un)officially accpeted to here?


I am no expert, but I would just be honest and express interest in their program (assuming you actually are interested in their program). Do you have a broader area of interest in mathematics? You could mention why you'd like to study there and in what direction you might want to go in.


Thanks for your suggestion. At the moment when I applied, I was interested in analysis. But these days I am into homological algebra. However all of these are in a broad sense. I did not have any graduate courses in my undergrad years and comepletely relying on my own readings. So my choice of programs were mostly based on how large the faculty is. (# of professor and their research interests)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:44 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
hooruru1995 wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
hooruru1995 wrote:The director of Graduate Studies from UIUC sent me an email notifying I am on the waitlist today. They ask me, if I am still interested, to send my response with area of ok nterests and/or a professor who I want to work with. To be honest, I do not have any specific area of interests. Because of my lack of exposure to any research experience. What would be the best response I can make with this?

Also, I got an email from IU Bloomington last week that I am on the list for considerations and they ask me if I am still interested. They said they will have more info about my offer this week. Is it safe to think I am (un)officially accpeted to here?


I am no expert, but I would just be honest and express interest in their program (assuming you actually are interested in their program). Do you have a broader area of interest in mathematics? You could mention why you'd like to study there and in what direction you might want to go in.


Thanks for your suggestion. At the moment when I applied, I was interested in analysis. But these days I am into homological algebra. However all of these are in a broad sense. I did not have any graduate courses in my undergrad years and comepletely relying on my own readings. So my choice of programs were mostly based on how large the faculty is. (# of professor and their research interests)


To me, that seems like a reasonable reason!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:49 pm
by Musicbears
hooruru1995 wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
hooruru1995 wrote:The director of Graduate Studies from UIUC sent me an email notifying I am on the waitlist today. They ask me, if I am still interested, to send my response with area of ok nterests and/or a professor who I want to work with. To be honest, I do not have any specific area of interests. Because of my lack of exposure to any research experience. What would be the best response I can make with this?

Also, I got an email from IU Bloomington last week that I am on the list for considerations and they ask me if I am still interested. They said they will have more info about my offer this week. Is it safe to think I am (un)officially accpeted to here?


I am no expert, but I would just be honest and express interest in their program (assuming you actually are interested in their program). Do you have a broader area of interest in mathematics? You could mention why you'd like to study there and in what direction you might want to go in.


Thanks for your suggestion. At the moment when I applied, I was interested in analysis. But these days I am into homological algebra. However all of these are in a broad sense. I did not have any graduate courses in my undergrad years and comepletely relying on my own readings. So my choice of programs were mostly based on how large the faculty is. (# of professor and their research interests)


I did the exact same thing as you. Honestly my application essay was pretty generic and I didn't really list any specific research interests or professors I wanted to work with. Surprised I got into any schools at all.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:08 am
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Those who got waitlisted to UIUC, did we all get the same Email?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:49 am
by Peregrine
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Those who got waitlisted to UIUC, did we all get the same Email?

I'm fairly certain we did.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:13 pm
by megansoros
Has anyone heard back from University of Washington for pure math? I did not see any results on gradcafe yet.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:25 pm
by ArtinWedderburn
megansoros wrote:Has anyone heard back from University of Washington for pure math? I did not see any results on gradcafe yet.


I emailed their graduate director and was told the results are typically sent out during the first week of March.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:35 pm
by megansoros
ArtinWedderburn wrote:
megansoros wrote:Has anyone heard back from University of Washington for pure math? I did not see any results on gradcafe yet.


I emailed their graduate director and was told the results are typically sent out during the first week of March.


Thanks for sharing the info!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:40 pm
by Rise
I was rejected from UCLA just now. This is probably the most disappointment I will feel since I really love the school and the city. Good luck to those who choose to go, if you're a big movie fan like me, you will love Los Angeles. Nothing's more fun than running into random celebrities that you've seen on TV.

Now, how do I tell my mom...

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:52 pm
by Musicbears
Rise wrote:I was rejected from UCLA just now. This is probably the most disappointment I will feel since I really love the school and the city. Good luck to those who choose to go, if you're a big movie fan like me, you will love Los Angeles. Nothing's more fun than running into random celebrities that you've seen on TV.

Now, how do I tell my mom...


It's ok there's nothing more disappointing than the celebrities we have now. You'll be fine. Goodluck on wherever you end up !

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:57 pm
by djysyed
Rise wrote:Now, how do I tell my mom...


Rise: "Mom!"
Rise's mom: "Yes dear"
Rise: "Would you be upset if I told you that I smoke weed?"
Rise's mom: "What?!? You smoke weed? Get down here this instant!"
*Rise descends down the stairs*
Rise: "Nope, I was just curious. But I did get rejected from UCLA though."

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:09 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Rise: Okay see ya mom gonna go smoke some weed!

*ascends up stairs.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 pm
by EGA
Rise wrote:I was rejected from UCLA just now. This is probably the most disappointment I will feel since I really love the school and the city. Good luck to those who choose to go, if you're a big movie fan like me, you will love Los Angeles. Nothing's more fun than running into random celebrities that you've seen on TV.

Now, how do I tell my mom...


I understand the feeling (minus the having to tell mom part). Just got rejected from Michigan.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:44 pm
by Rise
Thanks for the support guys, but my parents are Californians. They would be disappointed if I wasn't a pothead.

EGA wrote:
Rise wrote:I was rejected from UCLA just now. This is probably the most disappointment I will feel since I really love the school and the city. Good luck to those who choose to go, if you're a big movie fan like me, you will love Los Angeles. Nothing's more fun than running into random celebrities that you've seen on TV.

Now, how do I tell my mom...


I understand the feeling (minus the having to tell mom part). Just got rejected from Michigan.


I did just now too. And Stanford too. I'm very disappointed about UCLA and Michigan, and since I can assume Duke/Caltech are also done, this wraps up the application cycle for me. While I did not get into any of my Reach+ schools, I am still very happy about Wisconsin. At the very least, I can also take some solace in the fact that I was able to honestly assess my profile and categorize my schools accurately by Dream/Reach/Match/Safety. Unless, of course, I get rejected from all of my Safety schools in which case I'll delete this post and pretend I never said anything.

I will wait to see Boston University and UW's offer (implicitly assuming here that I'm a shoo-in), and choose between them, UCSD, and Wisconsin.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 pm
by lambert
Was gonna say, if I were Rise's mom I would be cool with him smoking pot and not getting into UCLA. If anything, getting into UCLA would probably mean more weed (stay in LA for the celebrities... huh :wink: )

Did everyone get waitlisted by UIUC? Except for those who got admitted obviously. I only see like 1 rejection on gradcafe and yesterday there was a huge wave of waitlist. If it really is that long I fear we're looking at a soft rejection letter. (pre-rejection?)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:43 pm
by password
lambert wrote:Did everyone get waitlisted by UIUC? Except for those who got admitted obviously. I only see like 1 rejection on gradcafe and yesterday there was a huge wave of waitlist. If it really is that long I fear we're looking at a soft rejection letter. (pre-rejection?)


Well, it's not a rejection for those near the very top of the waitlist, who actually stand a real chance of getting admitted if enrollment is lower than expected. But for the vast majority of those who were waitlisted it seems that this is not the case and we are essentially rejected. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing who is in which category lol.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:56 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
password wrote:
lambert wrote:Did everyone get waitlisted by UIUC? Except for those who got admitted obviously. I only see like 1 rejection on gradcafe and yesterday there was a huge wave of waitlist. If it really is that long I fear we're looking at a soft rejection letter. (pre-rejection?)


Well, it's not a rejection for those near the very top of the waitlist, who actually stand a real chance of getting admitted if enrollment is lower than expected. But for the vast majority of those who were waitlisted it seems that this is not the case and we are essentially rejected. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing who is in which category lol.


I emailed and asked how the waitlist works so that I could get a little more traction on what I should do since I have another offer. Hope that was a smart decision.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 pm
by djysyed
I just withdrew my application because I want to learn a lot more math before walking into graduate school. Good luck to the rest of you!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 pm
by Jayden
djysyed wrote:I just withdrew my application because I want to learn a lot more math before walking into graduate school. Good luck to the rest of you!

Good luck for your applications next year!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:56 pm
by RoutingCube
I got waitlisted at UIUC as well. I haven't seen anyone get outright rejected yet. I decided to withdraw my application because of the other offers I've received, but I hope you all get in!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:00 am
by junglemath
djysyed wrote:I just withdrew my application because I want to learn a lot more math before walking into graduate school. Good luck to the rest of you!


Good idea. This is what I have been doing for the last three years since graduating. I'm still not ready, but I got a funded offer from at least one school, so off I go.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:09 am
by umichzzy
djysyed wrote:I just withdrew my application because I want to learn a lot more math before walking into graduate school. Good luck to the rest of you!


Good luck with your next year application!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 am
by backsmile
Anyone waiting the decision of UCSD? My application is still under review.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:53 am
by password
backsmile wrote:Anyone waiting the decision of UCSD? My application is still under review.


Yep, I am in the same situation.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:04 am
by Musicbears
backsmile wrote:Anyone waiting the decision of UCSD? My application is still under review.


I'm withdrawing so good luck !

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 am
by Jayden
I have got admitted into Purdue this morning but the stipend is less than any offer in the forum, about 15.3k/yr. Dose anyone know that if this is enough to support myself of living and studying at West Lafayette? This is my top choice so I am really excited on this offer.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:24 am
by nothing
Congrats ! They have a great program in PDEs and Microlocal Analysis.
Indiana is cheap so it will be enough. But I don't think you will be able to have any saving money. I sent them an email yesterday and they told me my application is still under review by the committee. I think I will probably get rejected.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 am
by Jayden
nothing wrote:Congrats ! They have a great program in PDEs and Microlocal Analysis.
Indiana is cheap so it will be enough. But I don't think you will be able to have any saving money. I sent them an email yesterday and they told me my application is still under review by the committee. I think I will probably get rejected.

Thanks for replying. You can wait and I wish you get their offer. Good luck for that!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 am
by junglemath
I have one funded offer so far, and they want a decision from me by April 15. I am still waiting on decisions from seven more schools. Do you think they will all come in within the next month so that I can make a decision?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am
by Junaid456
junglemath wrote:I have one funded offer so far, and they want a decision from me by April 15. I am still waiting on decisions from seven more schools. Do you think they will all come in within the next month so that I can make a decision?


You can politely inquire about the status of your application. Some schools were kind enough to inform me that, while my application hasn't been officially rejected, I haven't been offered a spot in the first round.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm
by Jello333
zzhang222 wrote:
kayiilu wrote:
zzhang222 wrote:Duke has sent out all the offers and there will not be a next round according to a professor there :(


Is that for both pure math and applied math or for pure math?


For both. He said they would only take 30 students this year.



I applied to Pure Math in Duke but I haven't heard back from then. No update on the website OneLink either.

Could someone try to explain this for me? Thank you in advance.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:49 pm
by Jello333
curvature-form wrote:I was just rejected from Duke after I asked about the status of my decision via email. No real surprise there.


Who did you e-mail to ask?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm
by angryapple
Has anyone heard from Auburn or Wake Forest?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm
by backsmile
password wrote:
backsmile wrote:Anyone waiting the decision of UCSD? My application is still under review.


Yep, I am in the same situation.


I asked the grad admission and was replied an email saying that I was on a waitlist, and the final decision will be made within a week.

So if anyone received offer from UCSD and have better options, please declined it as fast as you can. It will be very helpful for people like me who are still waiting for decision :)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Jello333 wrote:
curvature-form wrote:I was just rejected from Duke after I asked about the status of my decision via email. No real surprise there.


Who did you e-mail to ask?


I also emailed Duke for my admissions status a few weeks ago and they said they have made all offers and don't have a waitlist. I think it's kind of rude to leave the rejected students in the dark. They could at least update the app profiles.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Has anyone heard from Ohio State about another possible round of offers?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:39 pm
by q8099086
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Has anyone heard from Ohio State about another possible round of offers?

Ohio State replied today as follows:
Thank you for your continued interest in our graduate program. Our admission committee has not yet made an official admission decision for your application, however, at this point we have already extended a majority of the admission offers that will be made, so the chance of receiving an admission is very low. I am sorry for the unfortunate news.

This is like an unoffical rejection.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
q8099086 wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Has anyone heard from Ohio State about another possible round of offers?

Ohio State replied today as follows:
Thank you for your continued interest in our graduate program. Our admission committee has not yet made an official admission decision for your application, however, at this point we have already extended a majority of the admission offers that will be made, so the chance of receiving an admission is very low. I am sorry for the unfortunate news.

This is like an unoffical rejection.


Ah that's disappointing... Hope they tell us soon. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:43 pm
by Jello333
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
Jello333 wrote:
curvature-form wrote:I was just rejected from Duke after I asked about the status of my decision via email. No real surprise there.


Who did you e-mail to ask?


I also emailed Duke for my admissions status a few weeks ago and they said they have made all offers and don't have a waitlist. I think it's kind of rude to leave the rejected students in the dark. They could at least update the app profiles.


Could you share with me the e-mail address you emailed so I can ask and get it out of the way? Thank you.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
I cannot remember his name and the email is deleted. I looked up grad director or something similar on their website.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 pm
by Sepens
Hey everyone. Is there a protocol or any ethics behind contacting schools about increasing their funding/stipend offers to match other schools?

Is this something that people commonly do? Or maybe it often doesn't cause any changes so there is no point. Just wondering.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 pm
by Channing
Jayden wrote:I have got admitted into Purdue this morning but the stipend is less than any offer in the forum, about 15.3k/yr. Dose anyone know that if this is enough to support myself of living and studying at West Lafayette? This is my top choice so I am really excited on this offer.

Congratulations on your acceptance to Purdue :D

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 pm
by MathCat
Sepens wrote:Hey everyone. Is there a protocol or any ethics behind contacting schools about increasing their funding/stipend offers to match other schools?

Is this something that people commonly do? Or maybe it often doesn't cause any changes so there is no point. Just wondering.


I can't say if it's common or not, but I did it when I was applying (I'm already attending now). I would say only ask if you'll attend if they do oblige you - don't try to go back and forth between two schools trying to make them compete. IMO the funding level should only come into it as far as whether it is sufficient for your needs or not. If sufficient, you should go to the school that seems to be the best fit.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm
by Rise
Sepens wrote:Hey everyone. Is there a protocol or any ethics behind contacting schools about increasing their funding/stipend offers to match other schools?

Is this something that people commonly do? Or maybe it often doesn't cause any changes so there is no point. Just wondering.


If you ask politely and respectfully, it’s not unethical at all, in my opinion. You wrote your entire app and spent months fighting for the schools, now let the schools pay you back and fight for you 8).

At the very worst, they’ll say No. But if you don’t ever ask, the answer’s always no.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:56 am
by password
backsmile wrote:
password wrote:
backsmile wrote:Anyone waiting the decision of UCSD? My application is still under review.


Yep, I am in the same situation.


I asked the grad admission and was replied an email saying that I was on a waitlist, and the final decision will be made within a week.


Got it, thanks. Good luck to you!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 am
by Junaid456
In case anyone is still waiting to hear back from Utah, I got the following response from a professor:

There still isn't much news on our end. I don't expect that we'll have any information until about 10 days from now. I hope that doesn't inconvenience you too much!


This is very weird. They have accepted, rejected and wait listed applicants in the last month, and I don't know why they haven't decided anything on my application as of yet. I guess I'll ask him politely.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:41 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Has anyone heard any news from Boulder? I see some applied math acceptances but not many pure.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm
by Junaid456
Just got rejected from U Washington. Good luck to everyone else.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:59 pm
by password
So.. anyone else still waiting to hear from UCI? I've seen waitlists, acceptances, and rejections on here and gradcafe but haven't received anything.