Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

lothiriell wrote:I have a question about Chicago in general. How much money do you think is enough for comfortably living there? Lets say I pay $1000 for rent, heat and water included. I am not a party person so I won't be going out much and I want the best (but still affordable) internet that I can get.

Oh and what about the esports scene? I am a big fan of DOTA2 esports but I haven't seen a big lan happening in Chicago or the area. And I would looove to go to stuff like that.


The UChicago moto is, "Where fun comes to die". If you want to play Dota2, your best bet is to look around UIC since everyone at UIC seems to have a crap ton of free time.

Pricing wise, if you want to live individually then sure, $1000 is about what you'll need. With a roommate, you can split costs and end up paying 700-800 per person for a nice place. My friends split a $2500 per month apartment 8 ways in order to minimize the price. I would not recommend this.

Something I should probably tell you about UChicago is that its pretty close (a block) to the ghettos of Chicago. I wouldn't recommend using public transportation unless it stops on campus since there's a chance you'll get mugged. Quite a few people I know got mugged while walking back to their apartments at 7-8pm. One benefit of this is the high chance of cheap apartments.

At the end of the day, I'd be okay with getting mugged once throughout my graduate career if it meant getting a PhD from UChicago.

Andreas
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Andreas » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm

junglemath wrote:I was just notified of my acceptance to FSU. Thought I'd get rejected from everywhere. If I can get into a PhD program in math with my background, anyone can. Don't despair!

Did they offer you any funding?

junglemath
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby junglemath » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Andreas wrote:
junglemath wrote:I was just notified of my acceptance to FSU. Thought I'd get rejected from everywhere. If I can get into a PhD program in math with my background, anyone can. Don't despair!

Did they offer you any funding?


There are some details that I haven't yet gotten through, but it appears to be about $19k for the year and a subsidy towards health insurance. I would have TA duties of 20 hours a week.

jeffliao1
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby jeffliao1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Got admission to Virginia Tech on 2/15, but according to the applicants information here, it looks like only few people apply Virginia Tech and still no admission of this year on gradcafe either. Does anyone know anything about Virginia Tech?

goobie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby goobie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm

megansoros wrote:Has anyone heard back from CUNY graduate center? I haven't seen any results posted on gradcafe... Does anyone know when they will release decisions?


I got invited to their open house thing towards the end of January, but I assume everyone who applied got that? It said it was open to any prospective students on their website at least. Other than that, haven't heard anything.

qwerasdfzxcv
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby qwerasdfzxcv » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 pm

megansoros wrote:Has anyone heard back from CUNY graduate center? I haven't seen any results posted on gradcafe... Does anyone know when they will release decisions?

I received an email today saying I'm on the "short list" and that they'll be deciding acceptance / waitlist next week.

ShockerMath
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ShockerMath » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 pm

My Colorado State University application says that "Your department has recommended a decision to the Graduate School. You will receive a final decision within two weeks."... It's going to be a suspenseful two weeks...

terbo
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:36 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby terbo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 am

ShockerMath wrote:My Colorado State University application says that "Your department has recommended a decision to the Graduate School. You will receive a final decision within two weeks."... It's going to be a suspenseful two weeks...


i got that one too. don't think that's a good sign otherwise we would have gotten an acceptance email like those folks on grad cafe.

lothiriell
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:28 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby lothiriell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:32 am

djysyed wrote:
The UChicago moto is, "Where fun comes to die". If you want to play Dota2, your best bet is to look around UIC since everyone at UIC seems to have a crap ton of free time.


Ohhh I don't play, I just watch and follow the competitive scene (like watching football but better!). Ain't nobody got time for fun things ;_; Watching is something I can do while studying/after work. But watching a tournament live on lan once in 6 months would be great (and hopefully doable...).

djysyed wrote:At the end of the day, I'd be okay with getting mugged once throughout my graduate career if it meant getting a PhD from UChicago.


Haha I'll keep this in mind whenever I get mugged :mrgreen: Thank you!

zzhang222
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:07 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby zzhang222 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:48 am

lawliet1 wrote:Penn AMCS asked me whether I am still interested today.

So are you still interested :D ?

matroid
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby matroid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 am

I think the neighborhood around U Chicago is not quite as dangerous as the above poster suggests. He is probably referring to the region south of campus as a 'ghetto' within a block of campus. Campus ends at 60-61st street. There is an elevated train line (on 63rd street) that some students take to get to other parts of Chicago, but many might consider it unwise to walk down to 63rd street. Even gentrification is creeping south of campus here, on the block of 61st to 62nd.

Most students live north and east of campus in Hyde Park, extending a mile to the lake and a mile north through Kenwood (where, e.g. Obama's house is). This is a fairly upper income area, where lots of professionals and faculty also live. Public transportation (buses and the Metra electric line) does run through this region to downtown, and it is generally considered safe. Not to say that you can't get mugged in this area, but that is true for most any neighborhood in a large city in the US. There is a large buffer (Washington Park and the hospital) between campus and unsafe neighborhoods to the west. The university also has a very large security force which is visible on campus and in blocks nearby.

The math department is not near the south end of campus (which is separated from the rest of campus by a grassy expanse called the 'Midway', and is where undergrad dormitories and the law school are located). So, it would be inconvenient to live on the south end anyhow, and you generally would not have a reason to go to that part of campus.

lothiriell
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:28 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby lothiriell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

matroid wrote:I think the neighborhood around U Chicago is not quite as dangerous as the above poster suggests. He is probably referring to the region south of campus as a 'ghetto' within a block of campus. Campus ends at 60-61st street. There is an elevated train line (on 63rd street) that some students take to get to other parts of Chicago, but many might consider it unwise to walk down to 63rd street. Even gentrification is creeping south of campus here, on the block of 61st to 62nd.

Most students live north and east of campus in Hyde Park, extending a mile to the lake and a mile north through Kenwood (where, e.g. Obama's house is). This is a fairly upper income area, where lots of professionals and faculty also live. Public transportation (buses and the Metra electric line) does run through this region to downtown, and it is generally considered safe. Not to say that you can't get mugged in this area, but that is true for most any neighborhood in a large city in the US. There is a large buffer (Washington Park and the hospital) between campus and unsafe neighborhoods to the west. The university also has a very large security force which is visible on campus and in blocks nearby.

The math department is not near the south end of campus (which is separated from the rest of campus by a grassy expanse called the 'Midway', and is where undergrad dormitories and the law school are located). So, it would be inconvenient to live on the south end anyhow, and you generally would not have a reason to go to that part of campus.


That is... amazing info! Thank you <3
I am considering the grad housing option in Hyde Park (53rd/Kimbark is probably on top of my list), so if you know anything about it, shoot me a pm :)

lawliet1
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby lawliet1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:58 pm

zzhang222 wrote:
lawliet1 wrote:Penn AMCS asked me whether I am still interested today.

So are you still interested :D ?

Yes. It won't hurt to have another offer, and maybe I even get one more free trip :D

aaaaaaaah
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby aaaaaaaah » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 am

Does anyone know whether Stanford admission is finished or not? I'm not on the waitlist so I'll be rejected but I hope I get in there :roll:

asacgeom
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby asacgeom » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:13 am

I received an email last week from Wisconsin-Madison saying that I got on its short waitlist. Does anybody know how likely I can get admitted off the waitlist? On gradcafe, there are many applicants who got wailisted, so it doesn’t look ‘short’...
Btw I heard from Rutgers that I got waitlisted too (after email inquiry), but also heard that the chance is low.
Although I’m really happy to be on the waitlists, holding no offers yet drives me crazy :(

Lipso
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Lipso » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 am

Did Rutgers and NYU already give acceptances?

silentdepression
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby silentdepression » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Even I got waitlisted by Rutgers and as of now I have no offers...

According to Rutgers, probability of admittance and the timeline of it is hard to predict. I guess I'm pretty low. On the waitlist. It's sad that I only have Upenn and Utoronto left, and I don't think I'd get any.

blahquaker
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby blahquaker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

asacgeom wrote:I received an email last week from Wisconsin-Madison saying that I got on its short waitlist. Does anybody know how likely I can get admitted off the waitlist? On gradcafe, there are many applicants who got wailisted, so it doesn’t look ‘short’...

their website says they usually make 50-70 offers in order to fill 20-25 spots. I thought I remembered them having a pdf on their site with the actual numbers for recent years and it was closer to 100 offers for some years, but I can't find that pdf now.

Taylor
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Taylor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Has any of you ever tried to email Northwestern. Emailed John Francis, but never got any reply.

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Taylor wrote:Has any of you ever tried to email Northwestern. Emailed John Francis, but never got any reply.


Someone emailed the grad director Elton Hsu and apparently they just haven't made decisions for some people yet.

asacgeom
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby asacgeom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 am

blahquaker wrote:
asacgeom wrote:I received an email last week from Wisconsin-Madison saying that I got on its short waitlist. Does anybody know how likely I can get admitted off the waitlist? On gradcafe, there are many applicants who got wailisted, so it doesn’t look ‘short’...

their website says they usually make 50-70 offers in order to fill 20-25 spots. I thought I remembered them having a pdf on their site with the actual numbers for recent years and it was closer to 100 offers for some years, but I can't find that pdf now.


Thank you for replying! Then I can’t lose hope..!

Lipso
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Lipso » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:34 am

Did you guy have to email Rutgers to find out if you were waitlisted?

What of NYU?

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Has anybody heard back from Minnesota and Rice (pure)?

Sepens
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Sepens » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...

Singularity
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Singularity » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Sepens wrote:I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...

I was admitted to Caltech weeks ago. I don't think they mentioned interview. Mine is pure math and even the official funding letter was out some time last week.

Sepens
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Sepens » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Oops! Sorry I forgot to mention that I meant the CMS program.

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Rise » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Sepens wrote:I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...


Caltech is done. I remember seeing someone on Gradcafe say that a professor replied to their email saying that they will not make any more offers.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:13 am

Sepens wrote:I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...


For Pure Math? Also, does anyone know whether Minnesota interviews international applicants?

aaaaaaaah
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby aaaaaaaah » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 am

Junaid456 wrote:
Sepens wrote:I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...


For Pure Math? Also, does anyone know whether Minnesota interviews international applicants?


I'm an international student but I didn't get any news from Minnesota.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:19 am

aaaaaaaah wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:
Sepens wrote:I've had an interview with a professor from Minnesota. The professor said that the offers will be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

Has anyone heard from Caltech? It seems like they invited people to visit the campus for interviews, but I haven't been able to get confirmation? Has anyone else heard something about it?

Also still waiting on UT Austin here...


For Pure Math? Also, does anyone know whether Minnesota interviews international applicants?


I'm an international student but I didn't get any news from Minnesota.


Same here. I guess they haven't made any offers yet, but I'm not sure if they interview a large number of (short listed?) applicants.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:55 am

Plus, is there anyone still waiting to hear back from Utah? I was told that 'they're still deciding what to do with my application.' They've already sent acceptances, wait lists and rejections for a finite number of spots. I still haven't heard back, and I am not sure what to make of it.

yon3da
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby yon3da » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Junaid456 wrote:Has anybody heard back from Minnesota and Rice (pure)?


Minnesota just emailed out offers.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:41 pm

yon3da wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:Has anybody heard back from Minnesota and Rice (pure)?


Minnesota just emailed out offers.


Oh, I haven't heard anything. Not good news, I guess. I see only one entry on grad cafe, that too for applied math, though.

EGA
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby EGA » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
yon3da wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:Has anybody heard back from Minnesota and Rice (pure)?


Minnesota just emailed out offers.


Oh, I haven't heard anything. Not good news, I guess. I see only one entry on grad cafe, that too for applied math, though.


A friend and I both got into their pure math Phd an hour ago.

heshan666
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby heshan666 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Boyyy...I have received admission from the University of Florida ($21.2k TA + Health insurance & fee waiver). This is my second acceptance and I will definitely accept the offer. This is quite an achievement considering how low my test scores are, especially the MGRE. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from your desired universities.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:19 pm

EGA wrote:
A friend and I both got into their pure math Phd an hour ago.


Congratulations.

a6f9
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby a6f9 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:01 pm

For anyone here who applied to UBC, I heard that decisions are almost finished and letters will start coming out in roughly two weeks from now. Interviews are also apparently not made typically so don't worry too much if you haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: Just saw an acceptance on gradcafe so they're out sooner than I was told.
Last edited by a6f9 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andreas
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Andreas » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm

heshan666 wrote:Boyyy...I have received admission from the University of Florida ($21.2k TA + Health insurance & fee waiver). This is my second acceptance and I will definitely accept the offer. This is quite an achievement considering how low my test scores are, especially the MGRE. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from your desired universities.

Congrats! Could you please tell how and when you received the admission (via email or their website)?

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Rise » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm

How is the funding at UMN? I was very surprised that I did not receive an offer with everyone else earlier today.

heshan666
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby heshan666 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Andreas wrote:
heshan666 wrote:Boyyy...I have received admission from the University of Florida ($21.2k TA + Health insurance & fee waiver). This is my second acceptance and I will definitely accept the offer. This is quite an achievement considering how low my test scores are, especially the MGRE. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from your desired universities.

Congrats! Could you please tell how and when you received the admission (via email or their website)?


Thanks and good luck to you. I received the decision via email today.

ArtinWedderburn
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ArtinWedderburn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm

a6f9 wrote:For anyone here who applied to UBC, I heard that decisions are almost finished and letters will start coming out in roughly two weeks from now. Interviews are also apparently not made typically so don't worry too much if you haven't heard anything yet.

Edit: Just saw an acceptance on gradcafe so they're out sooner than I was told.


Thank you for your information!

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Seems like UIUC is sending out rejections before sending out their first round of offers.

Rise
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Rise » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:14 pm

djysyed wrote:Seems like UIUC is sending out rejections before sending out their first round of offers.


They've already sent their first round. Me and a few others in this thread got offers last week.

FreddieBiddleBooty
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby FreddieBiddleBooty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 pm

Rise wrote:
djysyed wrote:Seems like UIUC is sending out rejections before sending out their first round of offers.


They've already sent their first round. Me and a few others in this thread got offers last week.


I have emailed them last week and they said decisions should be finalized by end of the month.

junglemath
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby junglemath » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

heshan666 wrote:Boyyy...I have received admission from the University of Florida ($21.2k TA + Health insurance & fee waiver). This is my second acceptance and I will definitely accept the offer. This is quite an achievement considering how low my test scores are, especially the MGRE. good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from your desired universities.


Congrats! Where else were you accepted? I too applied to U Florida but haven't heard anything yet. Not sure if this is a good or bad sign. :?

Channing
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Channing » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Just got my first offer from PSU, what a relief...

Sepens
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Sepens » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Rise wrote:How is the funding at UMN? I was very surprised that I did not receive an offer with everyone else earlier today.


Only 19k a year

Jayden
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Jayden » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Channing wrote:Just got my first offer from PSU, what a relief...

Congrats! Have no offer that really want to attend by now. :|

TimP314
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby TimP314 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Channing wrote:Just got my first offer from PSU, what a relief...


Me too, congrats! Though I don't really know much about the department -- what would you be interested in working on there?

Channing
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:51 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Channing » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm

TimP314 wrote:
Channing wrote:Just got my first offer from PSU, what a relief...


Me too, congrats! Though I don't really know much about the department -- what would you be interested in working on there?

Congrats! My interests mainly focus on analysis, like functional analysis and operator algebra and a few professors in PSU work on areas like operator algebra, K-theory and noncommutative geometry. What about your interests? It seems that PSU is quite strong on dynamic system and topology though I don’t really know much about those.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cater99 and 8 guests