Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ArtinWedderburn
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ArtinWedderburn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

lambert wrote:
ArtinWedderburn wrote:
EGA wrote:UIUC just asked for my fall grades (which I forgot to include in my application :lol:). That can't be a bad sign though, right?



It at least shows that the school is still interested in you otherwise they wouldn’t bother notifying you.

Unlike me, no school contacts me and no school wants me :lol:



Is there a reason you're being so pessimistic all the time?

Heck you already were admitted at a good place, got an interview somewhere else and UIUC contacted you as well, so your statement is just plain false dude lol.

Not to mention you seem to have a strong profile (good grades in advanced courses) and an 85% on the mGRE, which for some reason you think is horrible lmao. Obviously you'll get in some good places but you think you will be rejected everywhere. I don't know if you're doing this on purpose or really don't have a clue but you're making everyone else look bad


I apologize if my post has made people feel bad, and certainly that's not my intention. I don't feel optimistic because last year a friend of mine with much better background than me was rejected almost everywhere except his home institution. In addition, many of the schools I have applied to have released some offers but I have received none of them... Even though, I am not the only one who is under stressed in this forum and I am truly sorry if my post has potentially discouraged others.
Last edited by ArtinWedderburn on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:07 am

Poked a professor from UCLA regarding admissions. He said, "If you haven’t heard anything yet, I’m afraid it doesn’t bode well, unfortunately. You may contact the grad vice-chair Prof. Hitrik, and ask."

home1915
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby home1915 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 am

djysyed wrote:Poked a professor from UCLA regarding admissions. He said, "If you haven’t heard anything yet, I’m afraid it doesn’t bode well, unfortunately. You may contact the grad vice-chair Prof. Hitrik, and ask."

I just wonder why all the offers from Gradcafe are from domestic students, does anybody know any international students who got admitted to UCLA?

Probably
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:23 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Probably » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 am

home1915 wrote:I just wonder why all the offers from Gradcafe are from domestic students, does anybody know any international students who got admitted to UCLA?


I am international, got admitted on 18th of Jan

home1915
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby home1915 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 am

Probably wrote:
home1915 wrote:I just wonder why all the offers from Gradcafe are from domestic students, does anybody know any international students who got admitted to UCLA?


I am international, got admitted on 18th of Jan

Congrats!! Then, it really doesn't bode well. Hope we still have second round. :?

heshan666
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby heshan666 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:06 am

Hi everyone,

Seems like University of Georgia is about to send their decisions :o .I'm an international student with a MGRE score of 590 (rest of my application is good). Feeling really nervous.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:54 am

News for applicants which applied to Rutgers: Rutgers is going to send out letter in Monday.
I've also applied to Rutgers. But there is information that Rutgers pays serious attention to MGRE.
I guess I'll be rejected.

egoyaq
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby egoyaq » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 am

Only one person on gradcafe said that they got into UT Austin already. Is he/she just a special admit or has anyone else gotten a response from UT Austin?

SMJKRT115
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby SMJKRT115 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 am

egoyaq wrote:Only one person on gradcafe said that they got into UT Austin already. Is he/she just a special admit or has anyone else gotten a response from UT Austin?

I got admitted a few days ago by UT Austin as well.

Junaid456
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Junaid456 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 am

As per grad cafe, someone was admitted to the University of Utah on 2/2.Has anyone else heard back?

egoyaq
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby egoyaq » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 am

SMJKRT115 wrote:
egoyaq wrote:Only one person on gradcafe said that they got into UT Austin already. Is he/she just a special admit or has anyone else gotten a response from UT Austin?

I got admitted a few days ago by UT Austin as well.


Thanks for responding. Can I ask what the financial package they offered you was?

SMJKRT115
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby SMJKRT115 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:20 am

egoyaq wrote:
SMJKRT115 wrote:
egoyaq wrote:Only one person on gradcafe said that they got into UT Austin already. Is he/she just a special admit or has anyone else gotten a response from UT Austin?

I got admitted a few days ago by UT Austin as well.


Thanks for responding. Can I ask what the financial package they offered you was?

27k minus around 1.2k in fees.

umichzzy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby umichzzy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

It seems most school gonna send out their admission in next two weeks

keith
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby keith » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:46 am

rfz wrote:News for applicants which applied to Rutgers: Rutgers is going to send out letter in Monday.
I've also applied to Rutgers. But there is information that Rutgers pays serious attention to MGRE.
I guess I'll be rejected.


How do you know that?

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Got rejection from Northwestern. However, I expected it.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:08 pm

keith wrote:
rfz wrote:News for applicants which applied to Rutgers: Rutgers is going to send out letter in Monday.
I've also applied to Rutgers. But there is information that Rutgers pays serious attention to MGRE.
I guess I'll be rejected.


How do you know that?

From graduate director

curvature-form
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby curvature-form » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 pm

I just realized one of my professors didn't submit my letter of recommendation to Brown hahaha... :mrgreen:

I guess I'm not going there :roll:

ACleverMan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ACleverMan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:37 pm

Anyone know what is happening with CMU? There is only one acceptance on grad cafe for there.

umichzzy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby umichzzy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:56 pm

ACleverMan wrote:Anyone know what is happening with CMU? There is only one acceptance on grad cafe for there.


Just got an invitation for interview this Friday from CMU.

yon3da
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby yon3da » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm

rfz wrote:Got rejection from Northwestern. However, I expected it.


I'm sorry :(
Can I ask how you were notified? I'm also waiting to hear back

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Heard from UCLA that if you haven't heard back yet, then your chances are fairly slim. I'm surprised I haven't been rejected from NU yet. Most people who were rejected have much better profile than mine.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:48 pm

djysyed wrote:Heard from UCLA that if you haven't heard back yet, then your chances are fairly slim. I'm surprised I haven't been rejected from NU yet. Most people who were rejected have much better profile than mine.

How do you know that?

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm

yon3da wrote:
rfz wrote:Got rejection from Northwestern. However, I expected it.


I'm sorry :(
Can I ask how you were notified? I'm also waiting to hear back

I have got an email.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 pm

One of my friends is asking: did anyone get letter from Caltech?

curvature-form
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby curvature-form » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:54 pm

rfz wrote:One of my friends is asking: did anyone get letter from Caltech?


I haven't gotten anything yet. Did your friend get a letter from Caltech?

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm

curvature-form wrote:
rfz wrote:One of my friends is asking: did anyone get letter from Caltech?


I haven't gotten anything yet. Did your friend get a letter from Caltech?

No

sananelan
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:11 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby sananelan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:00 pm

Hey rfz,

How did you learn your status for UC Berkeley? There isn't any rejection post in gradcafe for Berkeley.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:05 pm

sananelan wrote:Hey rfz,

How did you learn your status for UC Berkeley? There isn't any rejection post in gradcafe for Berkeley.
as i said aboce i have got an email and check my account

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:21 pm

rfz wrote:
djysyed wrote:Heard from UCLA that if you haven't heard back yet, then your chances are fairly slim. I'm surprised I haven't been rejected from NU yet. Most people who were rejected have much better profile than mine.

How do you know that?


Woops, just noticed I posted this above as well. Emailed a professor asking about admissions

pamkoo
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby pamkoo » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:29 pm

rfz wrote:One of my friends is asking: did anyone get letter from Caltech?

My friend got in Caltech on Feb.10th last year. Maybe next week there might be some news.
When did you get email from Berkeley? My Berkeley status says nothing, not sure if I still have a little chance.

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Just saw this rejection in my inbox...

"I'm the director of graduate studies at JHU. Prof. Riehl passed along your email to me. I'm very sorry to let you know that we will not be able to accept your application to our graduate program. (We've sent our first round of acceptances, and are in the middle of processing rejections, which is why you haven't seen anything in the system yet.) We liked your application, but this was an unusually competitive year -- better applications than usual, and at the same time fewer openings."

4th year undergrad...here I come lol

FreddieBiddleBooty
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby FreddieBiddleBooty » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I have gotten a fellowship consideration from U of Tennessee Knoxville. Has anyone gotten such an email? I have not gotten an acceptance yet, but I assume this is implied by the fellowship consideration...

ShockerMath
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ShockerMath » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:09 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:I have gotten a fellowship consideration from U of Tennessee Knoxville. Has anyone gotten such an email? I have not gotten an acceptance yet, but I assume this is implied by the fellowship consideration...


Yup! Me too. Sounds like they will make that fellowship nomination decision next week. It is possible this implies admission, but nothing is guaranteed :shock:

Andreas
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Andreas » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:34 pm

ShockerMath wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:I have gotten a fellowship consideration from U of Tennessee Knoxville. Has anyone gotten such an email? I have not gotten an acceptance yet, but I assume this is implied by the fellowship consideration...


Yup! Me too. Sounds like they will make that fellowship nomination decision next week. It is possible this implies admission, but nothing is guaranteed :shock:


Could please say when youve got those letters?

ShockerMath
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ShockerMath » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Andreas wrote:
ShockerMath wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:I have gotten a fellowship consideration from U of Tennessee Knoxville. Has anyone gotten such an email? I have not gotten an acceptance yet, but I assume this is implied by the fellowship consideration...


Yup! Me too. Sounds like they will make that fellowship nomination decision next week. It is possible this implies admission, but nothing is guaranteed :shock:


Could please say when youve got those letters?


I received an email on the afternoon of 02/02

FreddieBiddleBooty
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby FreddieBiddleBooty » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Andreas wrote:
ShockerMath wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:I have gotten a fellowship consideration from U of Tennessee Knoxville. Has anyone gotten such an email? I have not gotten an acceptance yet, but I assume this is implied by the fellowship consideration...


Yup! Me too. Sounds like they will make that fellowship nomination decision next week. It is possible this implies admission, but nothing is guaranteed :shock:


Could please say when youve got those letters?


2/2 after 6-ish. Was via email from math grad coordinator. Updated 2018 profile...

Singularity
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Singularity » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I got into Cornell and I don't know when that even happened. I received no email. Today I signed into the website and saw the decision letter. But no funding posted yet.

Singularity
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:00 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Singularity » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:07 pm

Singularity wrote:I got into Cornell and I don't know when that even happened. I received no email. Today I signed into the website and saw the decision letter. But no funding posted yet.

nevermind, it is in my junk folder

asacgeom
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby asacgeom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:28 am

Did Rutgers sent out their acceptances? Two people reported on gradcafe that they were notified by emails, but I received nothing.

rfz
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:29 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby rfz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:00 am

asacgeom wrote:Did Rutgers sent out their acceptances? Two people reported on gradcafe that they were notified by emails, but I received nothing.

The graduate director said that Rutgers will send out letters tomorrow. You should wait only one day and you'll get :)

asacgeom
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby asacgeom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am

rfz wrote:
asacgeom wrote:Did Rutgers sent out their acceptances? Two people reported on gradcafe that they were notified by emails, but I received nothing.

The graduate director said that Rutgers will send out letters tomorrow. You should wait only one day and you'll get :)


Oh thanks ! Hope good news for you as well :)

thecaffeinemachine
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby thecaffeinemachine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:59 am

Any news about Toronto?

Taylor
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 am

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby Taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:45 am

Anyone still waiting for Northwestern? Some people posted their rejections on gradcafe. It is driving me crazy. they did not reject some people until 4.16 according to the records from previous years.

texasmath
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:13 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby texasmath » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:14 am

Taylor wrote:Anyone still waiting for Northwestern? Some people posted their rejections on gradcafe. It is driving me crazy. they did not reject some people until 4.16 according to the records from previous years.


Yep, still waiting...

egoyaq
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby egoyaq » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm

I didn't get an email notification but my decision for Columbia was posted on the website. You should check if you're still waiting.

yon3da
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby yon3da » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm

egoyaq wrote:I didn't get an email notification but my decision for Columbia was posted on the website. You should check if you're still waiting.



Wooo! First flat-out rejection :D lol

ACleverMan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ACleverMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Got rejected by Harvard. Sad start.

silentdepression
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby silentdepression » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Hey, have you guys heard back from Rutgers?

ACleverMan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby ACleverMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 pm

silentdepression wrote:Hey, have you guys heard back from Rutgers?


Not yet

djysyed
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:59 pm

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Postby djysyed » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Rejected from Harvard and Columbia in the morning. Love how this application season is going so far lol.

UIUC will be sending out first round acceptances for a few more weeks. Still haven't heard back from Northwestern.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests