Page 24 of 25

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:40 pm
by nothing
Jayden wrote:I have some puzzles. I am wondering how will the committee tackle with an offer of fellowship after being rejected. The admission definitely will be gave to the waitlisted applicants. Will the fellowship be gave to the first-round-offer guys replacing his relatively low TAship? I am a little concerned about the money since my TAship is substantially less than the fellowship in the same department.


Usually, they give the fellowship to domestic students.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 pm
by Jayden
nothing wrote:
Jayden wrote:I have some puzzles. I am wondering how will the committee tackle with an offer of fellowship after being rejected. The admission definitely will be gave to the waitlisted applicants. Will the fellowship be gave to the first-round-offer guys replacing his relatively low TAship? I am a little concerned about the money since my TAship is substantially less than the fellowship in the same department.


Usually, they give the fellowship to domestic students.

I understand the case. But there is always exception. Some friends of mine (at my home country) got fellowship in the other schools. So I just asked.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:13 pm
by junglemath
Jayden wrote:I have some puzzles. I am wondering how will the committee tackle with an offer of fellowship after being rejected. The admission definitely will be gave to the waitlisted applicants. Will the fellowship be gave to the first-round-offer guys replacing his relatively low TAship? I am a little concerned about the money since my TAship is substantially less than the fellowship in the same department.


Your entire post reads like a puzzle. A puzzle from which I cannot figure out what it is you are saying.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:17 pm
by Jayden
junglemath wrote:
Your entire post reads like a puzzle. A puzzle from which I cannot figure out what it is you are saying.

Sorry for that. I was not meant to make you fell puzzle. And I had no offensive!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
Jayden wrote:
junglemath wrote:
Your entire post reads like a puzzle. A puzzle from which I cannot figure out what it is you are saying.

Sorry for that. I was not meant to make you fell puzzle. And I had no offensive!


Lol.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:27 pm
by kieroda
Jayden wrote:I have some puzzles. I am wondering how will the committee tackle with an offer of fellowship after being rejected. The admission definitely will be gave to the waitlisted applicants. Will the fellowship be gave to the first-round-offer guys replacing his relatively low TAship? I am a little concerned about the money since my TAship is substantially less than the fellowship in the same department.


I assume that you are wondering whether you have a chance of getting a fellowship if applicants who were awarded fellowships decline their offers. I don't think anyone here can answer that, if you want to know you will have to just ask the department.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:33 pm
by Jayden
kieroda wrote:I assume that you are wondering whether you have a chance of getting a fellowship if applicants who were awarded fellowships decline their offers. I don't think anyone here can answer that, if you want to know you will have to just ask the department.

Exactly that was what I wanted to express. Shame on my written English. :oops:

Thank you for your suggestions. You are very nice. Best wishes for your applications.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 am
by junglemath
kieroda wrote:
Jayden wrote:I have some puzzles. I am wondering how will the committee tackle with an offer of fellowship after being rejected. The admission definitely will be gave to the waitlisted applicants. Will the fellowship be gave to the first-round-offer guys replacing his relatively low TAship? I am a little concerned about the money since my TAship is substantially less than the fellowship in the same department.


I assume that you are wondering whether you have a chance of getting a fellowship if applicants who were awarded fellowships decline their offers. I don't think anyone here can answer that, if you want to know you will have to just ask the department.


I would assume that fellowship offers aren't automatically offered to the next person in line the way TA offers are, both for domestic and internationals.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 pm
by mathisawesome
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Has anyone heard about their waitlist status from UIUC?


No. Weirdly, they never acknowledged the receipt of my email that said I'd like to stay on the wait list. All other schools replied back. But then UIUC has a long wait list so it might not be practical to reply.

Anyway, has anybody heard back from UC Riverside? Have they made any offers yet?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:02 pm
by FreddieBiddleBooty
mathisawesome wrote:
FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Has anyone heard about their waitlist status from UIUC?


No. Weirdly, they never acknowledged the receipt of my email that said I'd like to stay on the wait list. All other schools replied back. But then UIUC has a long wait list so it might not be practical to reply.

Anyway, has anybody heard back from UC Riverside? Have they made any offers yet?


Thanks. I asked about my position, but apparently they don't really order the list. So I'm not sure how they decide which waitlisted student gets in after a withdraw. It's pointless to ask them.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:15 pm
by Musicbears
I got an email from Berkley saying that only 1/4 of their first round offers have responded. I kindly ask that people respond as soon as they decide they have a better match than Berkley , thanks !!! Goodluck to everyone else still waiting to hear back from places, may we all make it out of this in one piece.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 pm
by mooooo
Is it normal for fellowships to require that their fellows take courses over the summer? Seems really surprising to me. Especially when the only relevant courses offered would be independent reading courses.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:57 am
by Probably
I poked NYU yesterday and received the following:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are still in the process of reviewing applications. We received a significant number of applications this semester, and are still in the process of reviewing all of them. We are unable to send out decisions before we finish the reviewing process, and therefore, are unable to provide you with any additional information. We would like to sincerely apologize for the delay, but it is in the interest of all applicants that each application receive an equal and thorough review before we make a decision on it. Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by NYU GSAS. Once again, we apologize for the delay and the inconvenience; decisions will be sent out as soon as the reviewing process is completed."

Are they under an obligation to give me a decision before April 15th? Or am I just obligated to respond to any offers by then? (International student here so none of my advisors are much help with this)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:18 pm
by Musicbears
Probably wrote:I poked NYU yesterday and received the following:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are still in the process of reviewing applications. We received a significant number of applications this semester, and are still in the process of reviewing all of them. We are unable to send out decisions before we finish the reviewing process, and therefore, are unable to provide you with any additional information. We would like to sincerely apologize for the delay, but it is in the interest of all applicants that each application receive an equal and thorough review before we make a decision on it. Once a decision has been made, you will be notified by NYU GSAS. Once again, we apologize for the delay and the inconvenience; decisions will be sent out as soon as the reviewing process is completed."

Are they under an obligation to give me a decision before April 15th? Or am I just obligated to respond to any offers by then? (International student here so none of my advisors are much help with this)


The April 15th deadline just means that schools are not allowed to demand that you respond before April 15th.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:36 pm
by MathCat
mooooo wrote:Is it normal for fellowships to require that their fellows take courses over the summer? Seems really surprising to me. Especially when the only relevant courses offered would be independent reading courses.


I would check what they mean by this. I'm required to be enrolled in courses in the summer, but it is essentially just requiring me to read with my advisor, which I would be doing anyway. (There aren't any graduate level classes offered on the summer, except for reading courses.)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:24 am
by petrokov
Does anyone know how strongly money should be considered for offers? I've received a PhD offer at South Carolina that would allow me to live comfortably and travel to events all around North America to meet mathematicians. I've also received a Master's offer from Simon Fraser that is funded, but that would just give me enough to scrape by in Vancouver. I qualitatively prefer Simon Fraser as a school, because there are more professors in discrete math, and there are also a few professors whose specific interests line up very closely with mine. I also would prefer life in Vancouver to life in South Carolina. However, at Simon Fraser, I would not be able to travel at all, and I would only be able to meet mathematicians at the university. If my goal is to become a professor at a decent university, which offer would prepare me better for my future?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:33 pm
by password
petrokov wrote:However, at Simon Fraser, I would not be able to travel at all, and I would only be able to meet mathematicians at the university. If my goal is to become a professor at a decent university, which offer would prepare me better for my future?


Money is a concern, especially insofar as it will affect your academic performance. To your point about travel, though, some schools have extra funds for their students to travel to conferences and other events, so you might want to look into that at Simon Fraser. Just poking around, I don't see anything from the math department, but you could ask them.

Also, the good thing about a Master's is that if you find it too stifling, you can apply to get your PhD elsewhere. Travel may be less important in your first couple of years anyway, idk.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:36 pm
by MathCat
petrokov wrote:Does anyone know how strongly money should be considered for offers? I've received a PhD offer at South Carolina that would allow me to live comfortably and travel to events all around North America to meet mathematicians. I've also received a Master's offer from Simon Fraser that is funded, but that would just give me enough to scrape by in Vancouver. I qualitatively prefer Simon Fraser as a school, because there are more professors in discrete math, and there are also a few professors whose specific interests line up very closely with mine. I also would prefer life in Vancouver to life in South Carolina. However, at Simon Fraser, I would not be able to travel at all, and I would only be able to meet mathematicians at the university. If my goal is to become a professor at a decent university, which offer would prepare me better for my future?


Usually, when graduate students travel to conferences and workshops and such, they get reimbursed for their travel costs (by the organizers of the event). Many departments also have funds specifically for this. The downside to this system is that you have to have the money to buy the plane ticket in the first place, and manage to wait for reimbursement (which is typically not fast, e.g. at least a month in my experience). However, many departments also have loans available for graduate students. I wouldn't let this be your only reason not to go to Simon Fraser. Even if you couldn't travel much during your masters, the most important time to be networking at conferences is when you are an advanced PhD student. You would have plenty of time to do that later.

Also, keep in mind that UBC hosts many conferences and workshops, which you likely wouldn't have any trouble attending.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 am
by petrokov
MathCat wrote:Usually, when graduate students travel to conferences and workshops and such, they get reimbursed for their travel costs (by the organizers of the event). Many departments also have funds specifically for this. The downside to this system is that you have to have the money to buy the plane ticket in the first place, and manage to wait for reimbursement (which is typically not fast, e.g. at least a month in my experience). However, many departments also have loans available for graduate students. I wouldn't let this be your only reason not to go to Simon Fraser. Even if you couldn't travel much during your masters, the most important time to be networking at conferences is when you are an advanced PhD student. You would have plenty of time to do that later.

Also, keep in mind that UBC hosts many conferences and workshops, which you likely wouldn't have any trouble attending.


I really appreciate your telling me this. I've been working as a high school math teacher for two years (bad life decisions :P ), so I thankfully have some money saved, so I'll be able to buy plane tickets and such as long as I'm reimbursed within a reasonable amount of time.

While my offer at SFU is funded, my tuition is not covered, so I would need to pay somewhere around $7000 CAD per year for tuition out of my funding. Do you know if Canadian universities usually cover tuition for PhD students? If so, then I would be much more comfortable if I decided to stay at SFU for my PhD, and I would be much more able to network without worrying about when or if my expenses will be covered.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 am
by Taylor
Anyone still on the wait list of Northwestern? Poked them and they replied that there is still no further information. How come still no further information when 4.15 is around the corner? :( :( :( :(

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:33 am
by Musicbears
Taylor wrote:Anyone still on the wait list of Northwestern? Poked them and they replied that there is still no further information. How come still no further information when 4.15 is around the corner? :( :( :( :(


Probably because not all first round offers have responded yet...I'm going to reject them today. Goodluck! ( sorry about the delay, I was waiting to hear back from other places before making this decision)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:47 pm
by MathCat
petrokov wrote:
MathCat wrote:Usually, when graduate students travel to conferences and workshops and such, they get reimbursed for their travel costs (by the organizers of the event). Many departments also have funds specifically for this. The downside to this system is that you have to have the money to buy the plane ticket in the first place, and manage to wait for reimbursement (which is typically not fast, e.g. at least a month in my experience). However, many departments also have loans available for graduate students. I wouldn't let this be your only reason not to go to Simon Fraser. Even if you couldn't travel much during your masters, the most important time to be networking at conferences is when you are an advanced PhD student. You would have plenty of time to do that later.

Also, keep in mind that UBC hosts many conferences and workshops, which you likely wouldn't have any trouble attending.


I really appreciate your telling me this. I've been working as a high school math teacher for two years (bad life decisions :P ), so I thankfully have some money saved, so I'll be able to buy plane tickets and such as long as I'm reimbursed within a reasonable amount of time.

While my offer at SFU is funded, my tuition is not covered, so I would need to pay somewhere around $7000 CAD per year for tuition out of my funding. Do you know if Canadian universities usually cover tuition for PhD students? If so, then I would be much more comfortable if I decided to stay at SFU for my PhD, and I would be much more able to network without worrying about when or if my expenses will be covered.


You should check with SFU in particular with regards to tuition coverage. IIRC, some of my Canadian offers covered tuition and some did not - but they worked out to fairly similar amounts after tuition was paid, mostly. I think the funding is generally a bit higher for PhD students over Masters students, but I wouldn't count on the tuition being waived at the PhD level either. Would you be international? I know that these policies can really suck for international students, since the tuition fees are higher but the funding usually isn't. Otherwise, there may be additional sources of funding you could apply for, e.g. NSERC CGS-D. (Though I know some schools (e.g. U of T) don't increase your funding if you receive one - you just don't have to TA anymore, but still get paid pathetically little given the cost of living in Toronto.)

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 am
by Musicbears
Which school is more academically well rounded, Berkeley or UCLA? I'm not talking about prestige or connections. I mean which school has a broader range of subjects?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am
by djysyed

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:26 am
by Musicbears
djysyed wrote:https://www.quora.com/Will-UCLA-match-Berkeley-in-terms-of-prestige-academics-and-rankings-someday


That is for undergrad, doesnt say anything about how broad each schools graduate math program is.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 am
by Taylor
Musicbears wrote:
Taylor wrote:Anyone still on the wait list of Northwestern? Poked them and they replied that there is still no further information. How come still no further information when 4.15 is around the corner? :( :( :( :(


Probably because not all first round offers have responded yet...I'm going to reject them today. Goodluck! ( sorry about the delay, I was waiting to hear back from other places before making this decision)


Thank you very much for answering. So are you accepted by Northwestern and going to turn them down?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am
by Musicbears
Taylor wrote:
Musicbears wrote:
Taylor wrote:Anyone still on the wait list of Northwestern? Poked them and they replied that there is still no further information. How come still no further information when 4.15 is around the corner? :( :( :( :(


Probably because not all first round offers have responded yet...I'm going to reject them today. Goodluck! ( sorry about the delay, I was waiting to hear back from other places before making this decision)


Thank you very much for answering. So are you accepted by Northwestern and going to turn them down?


Yes, they have a more narrow program. I honestly don't know what I want to study so I want to attend a school with a broader range of options.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:12 pm
by qin2718
Please decline Boston College if you do not plan to go there

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:24 pm
by Rise
I have decided to accept UCSD's offer. It was a hard choice since I loved everything about Madison. However, the extra money from stipend+fellowship and rent-controlled housing (offsets living costs) was simply too good of an offer to pass up.

I'll be around to message if anyone in the area wants to connect :) Other than that, I'll be inactive here until next year when I'll pop back to try to help next year's incoming class.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm
by mooooo
djysyed wrote:
blackmaverick176 wrote:It looks like UIC is starting to send out offers.


Congrats! They have quite a few strong Algebraic Geometers so I'm sure UIC is a place of interest. Feel free to pm me with any questions you have about the place :lol:


How is UIC for combinatorics?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 am
by jeffliao1
mooooo wrote:
djysyed wrote:
blackmaverick176 wrote:It looks like UIC is starting to send out offers.


Congrats! They have quite a few strong Algebraic Geometers so I'm sure UIC is a place of interest. Feel free to pm me with any questions you have about the place :lol:


How is UIC for combinatorics?


What kind of combinatorics are you interested in? I also want to do research in combinatorics, more specifically algebraic and enumerative, but I didn't apply UIC. UIC doesn't look like a good match according to my interest.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:27 am
by djysyed
mooooo wrote:How is UIC for combinatorics?


We have one strong person in combinatorics, Dhruv Mubayi. I've spoken to him a few times and he almost persuaded me to take graph theory instead of measure theory. Outside of him, the stats and probability professors do some basic work with combinatorics. According to the graduate students Andrew Suk is a titan in combinatorics.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:47 am
by Rise
djysyed wrote:
mooooo wrote:How is UIC for combinatorics?


We have one strong person in combinatorics, Dhruv Mubayi. I've spoken to him a few times and he almost persuaded me to take graph theory instead of measure theory. Outside of him, the stats and probability professors do some basic work with combinatorics. According to the graduate students Andrew Suk is a titan in combinatorics.


Pause...Andrew Suk is definitely combinatorics at UCSD. I met him while I was at visitor's day

(Just google'd it, he's there now :P )

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 am
by pyfgcr
Rise wrote:
djysyed wrote:
mooooo wrote:How is UIC for combinatorics?


We have one strong person in combinatorics, Dhruv Mubayi. I've spoken to him a few times and he almost persuaded me to take graph theory instead of measure theory. Outside of him, the stats and probability professors do some basic work with combinatorics. According to the graduate students Andrew Suk is a titan in combinatorics.


Pause...Andrew Suk is definitely combinatorics at UCSD. I met him while I was at visitor's day

(Just google'd it, he's there now :P )


Yep, solved a big problem a couple years ago and quickly got poached away.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:21 am
by djysyed
Wow, they still haven't removed his name card from his old office door. A few other combinatorists that completely slipped my mind are Gyorgy Turan and Lev Reyzin. If you are interested in seeing where their students end up after graduating: https://www.math.uic.edu/graduate/grad_people/alumni

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 pm
by regularitylemma
This thread has been fun to panic lurk on over the last few months. After a lot of contemplation I'm finally headed to UIUC. If anyone else headed that way would like to connect feel free to message me, I'll be sporadically checking this account for a few more weeks at least.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:08 pm
by 6sand7s
I'm doing a last-minute visit tomorrow and I still don't know where I'm going! Almost to the April 15 deadline!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27 pm
by Musicbears
6sand7s wrote:I'm doing a last-minute visit tomorrow and I still don't know where I'm going! Almost to the April 15 deadline!


Where are you visiting? Did you get more offers after the NSF fellowship? Congrats!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:33 am
by junglemath
6sand7s wrote:I'm doing a last-minute visit tomorrow and I still don't know where I'm going! Almost to the April 15 deadline!


I just got back from one visit, and I just received an email from a different school asking if I'm still interested. How am I supposed to choose between a great school that I just visited and possibly a better school that I won't have time to visit before the deadline?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm
by Peregrine
Rejected off the waitlist at UIUC via email.

If you're holding on to an offer from Nebraska-Lincoln or UNC-Chapel Hill and you're not going, please please please decline it.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm
by 6sand7s
Musicbears wrote:
6sand7s wrote:I'm doing a last-minute visit tomorrow and I still don't know where I'm going! Almost to the April 15 deadline!


Where are you visiting? Did you get more offers after the NSF fellowship? Congrats!


Thank you! I got five offers following the NSF fellowship, including one un-rejection from a school high on my list. It's been crazy! I'll update my applicant profile with details once everything is settled. (I mentioned in my last update on my applicant profile that my info is identifiable so I don't want to publish anything out of respect for the programs I'm talking with right now!) I got an extension on the April 15 deadline from my current favorite so I can make a visit to one last school before hopefully making my final decision early next week.

junglemath wrote:I just got back from one visit, and I just received an email from a different school asking if I'm still interested. How am I supposed to choose between a great school that I just visited and possibly a better school that I won't have time to visit before the deadline?


Right now, ask the former school for a couple extra days to finish your visits! Some programs may not let you, but it's worth a try. There are people on the other end of this process and they tend to be nice. In fact, it says a lot about how much a program values you. One of my schools' refusal to give me a few extra days to finish visits is probably going to be why I don't go there...

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 pm
by Musicbears
6sand7s wrote:
Musicbears wrote:
6sand7s wrote:I'm doing a last-minute visit tomorrow and I still don't know where I'm going! Almost to the April 15 deadline!


Where are you visiting? Did you get more offers after the NSF fellowship? Congrats!


Thank you! I got five offers following the NSF fellowship, including one un-rejection from a school high on my list. It's been crazy! I'll update my applicant profile with details once everything is settled. (I mentioned in my last update on my applicant profile that my info is identifiable so I don't want to publish anything out of respect for the programs I'm talking with right now!) I got an extension on the April 15 deadline from my current favorite so I can make a visit to one last school before hopefully making my final decision early next week.

junglemath wrote:I just got back from one visit, and I just received an email from a different school asking if I'm still interested. How am I supposed to choose between a great school that I just visited and possibly a better school that I won't have time to visit before the deadline?


Right now, ask the former school for a couple extra days to finish your visits! Some programs may not let you, but it's worth a try. There are people on the other end of this process and they tend to be nice. In fact, it says a lot about how much a program values you. One of my schools' refusal to give me a few extra days to finish visits is probably going to be why I don't go there...


One of my tops extended my deadline to April 27th since they gave me such a late notice. I think the extra time is for me to have time to decide but I'll probably still make my decision by the end of the week after coming back from my last visit on the 15th.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:56 pm
by keith
One of my tops extended my deadline to April 27th since they gave me such a late notice. I think the extra time is for me to have time to decide but I'll probably still make my decision by the end of the week after coming back from my last visit on the 15th.[/quote][/quote]

If you get only one extension, how about other schools? You still need to make decisions before the 15th right?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:00 am
by Musicbears
keith wrote:One of my tops extended my deadline to April 27th since they gave me such a late notice. I think the extra time is for me to have time to decide but I'll probably still make my decision by the end of the week after coming back from my last visit on the 15th.
[/quote]

If you get only one extension, how about other schools? You still need to make decisions before the 15th right?[/quote]

Yea I'll make my decision by the 15th. I think they were just giving me time to visit.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:53 am
by arguary
If I was accepted off of a waitlist, is it acceptable to decline the offer at this point? I had said earlier that I thought it was my top choice, but now I’m not as sure...

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 am
by 6sand7s
arguary wrote:If I was accepted off of a waitlist, is it acceptable to decline the offer at this point? I had said earlier that I thought it was my top choice, but now I’m not as sure...


It's certainly acceptable. However, you should see if you can make time to visit. My preferences changed a lot based on my visits this week.

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 pm
by mathematics

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 pm
by junglemath
I just accepted FSU's offer. Still can't believe I'm going to be a math graduate student!

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 am
by 2018Throwaway
junglemath wrote:I just accepted FSU's offer. Still can't believe I'm going to be a math graduate student!

Me too! What concentration?

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 am
by lambert


lol. I don't think everyone is finished though, some schools have later deadlines and people are still waiting for those. But yeah, suffice to say, for most of us the ride ends here. Was fun y'all