Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
gmancino

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by gmancino » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Has anyone had any luck with contacting the applied math department at University of Colorado-Boulder? (i.e. for funding, visits, etc.)

Lipso

Post by Lipso » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:16 am

goobie wrote:Anybody heard anything from CUNY?

I'm guessing they've sent out offers by now (which doesn't bode well for me), but I haven't seen anything on here or gradcafe.

I got an offer from CUNY, after I emailed to ask.

Also the same for Stony Brook this week which leads me to believe I would have never got in had I not emailed expressing it was my top choice.

home1915

Post by home1915 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am

Lipso wrote:

I'm guessing they've sent out offers by now (which doesn't bode well for me), but I haven't seen anything on here or gradcafe.

Also the same for Stony Brook this week which leads me to believe I would have never got in had I not emailed expressing it was my top choice.
Congrats. So, you receive an official offer email from Cuny after inquiry, or just an informal notice by your replier? Do you have any notifications before you get the offer?

Lipso

Post by Lipso » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:52 am

home1915 wrote:
Lipso wrote:

Congrats. So, you receive an official offer email from Cuny after inquiry, or just an informal notice by your replier? Do you have any notifications before you get the offer?
So Stony Brook and CUNY are my top choices. I emailed the chair of the Graduate Center to ask about my application, we exchanged a few emails and I received an informal acceptance and official offer about 2-3 days later (this all happened last week). I knew him for a few years so maybe it was slightly different?

home1915

Post by home1915 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

So Stony Brook and CUNY are my top choices. I emailed the chair of the Graduate Center to ask about my application, we exchanged a few emails and I received an informal acceptance and official offer about 2-3 days later (this all happened last week). I knew him for a few years so maybe it was slightly different?
Thank you for your message. Then it may not be a good sign for me...

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

A couple of updates from my end for anyone waiting on replies...

Received a waitlist from University Washington yesterday (3/12). I was surprised to not have heard anything when they sent out earlier waitlists. I was notified that I was not at the top of the list, not at the bottom either, and they probably wouldn't be able to offer me anything until near the April 15th deadline if anything at all. It may be the case that they're working down the waitlist in terms of when they send out notifications.

Got an update from North Carolina/UNC Chapel Hill. Confirmed that they still have only sent out the first round of offers. However, they seemed less certain that they would be sending out more acceptances than when we talked about it a couple weeks ago.

Good luck everyone!

ROCKLEO

Post by ROCKLEO » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 am

Invited to an interview (Skype) via email from UPenn (Math PhD), I'm currently waitlisted!. Apparently they are getting ready to make more offers (possible). I'm not sure if I would accept a possible offer from UPenn since I have already a good offer from ALGANT with tuition waiver + Scholarship.

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:30 am

ROCKLEO wrote:Invited to an interview (Skype) via email from UPenn (Math PhD), I'm currently waitlisted!. Apparently they are getting ready to make more offers (possible). I'm not sure if I would accept a possible offer from UPenn since I have already a good offer from ALGANT with tuition waiver + Scholarship.
Did they tell you that you were on the waitlist before?

ROCKLEO

Post by ROCKLEO » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Taylor wrote:
ROCKLEO wrote:Invited to an interview (Skype) via email from UPenn (Math PhD), I'm currently waitlisted!. Apparently they are getting ready to make more offers (possible). I'm not sure if I would accept a possible offer from UPenn since I have already a good offer from ALGANT with tuition waiver + Scholarship.
Yes, they told me on 2/23 that I was waitlisted.

nothing

Post by nothing » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Just got an offer from CMU. I guess they are send out offers for international applicants.

megansoros

Post by megansoros » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 pm

nothing wrote:Just got an offer from CMU. I guess they are send out offers for international applicants.
Congratulations! Which school is your top choice?

Taylor

Post by Taylor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

ROCKLEO wrote:
Taylor wrote:
Yes, they told me on 2/23 that I was waitlisted.
I see, thanks!

nothing

Post by nothing » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:35 pm

megansoros wrote:
nothing wrote:Just got an offer from CMU. I guess they are send out offers for international applicants.
Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ucdavis are the 3 on top. I will go to their open house this month :D

megansoros

Post by megansoros » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:09 pm

nothing wrote:
megansoros wrote:
Minnesota, Wisconsin and Ucdavis are the 3 on top. I will go to their open house this month :D
Good job on your acceptances! All 3 are great options!

rangkloic

Post by rangkloic » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Finally got my first acceptance from Denver University!!!

Apparently I'm high on the waitlist at UCI, so I'll hold out a bit for that, but boy does it feel good to know that I'll actually be attending somewhere in the fall!!

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 pm

rangkloic wrote:Finally got my first acceptance from Denver University!!!

Apparently I'm high on the waitlist at UCI, so I'll hold out a bit for that, but boy does it feel good to know that I'll actually be attending somewhere in the fall!!
Congratulations!!! :D

rebrobin

Post by rebrobin » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:13 pm

rangkloic wrote:Finally got my first acceptance from Denver University!!!

Congrats! I'll most likely be attending CU-Denver this fall; Denver looks like a pretty sweet city to live in!

Rise

Post by Rise » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:50 pm

nothing wrote:
megansoros wrote:
Wisconsin is looking like my best choice (most prestigious + decent stipend/cost ratio), so if you choose to go there and want to meet up, send me a PM. I'd love to connect, esp. if we're going to be classmates for the next few years :)

Post by 654165817 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Has anyone heard anything from University of Georgia? They said they'll send most of their offers in March, but I got nothing so far and it's already mid March, kinda worries me :? Also, I check their website and they have graduate student visit day this next Friday, has anyone got an invitation for that?

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:06 am

Got an email from a professor I talked to at JMM that I'm on the waitlist at UNC-Chapel Hill. If you don't intend to accept an offer they made, please decline -- it would be such a dream of mine to go there!

comeback

Post by comeback » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

Anyone knows what's going on with UC Davis pure math? I E-mailed them but got no reply.

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:03 pm

comeback wrote:Anyone knows what's going on with UC Davis pure math? I E-mailed them but got no reply.
You should have gotten a reply. Did you contact Sarah Driver, the graduate programs coordinator? I was rejected March 4, so I would say you are waitlisted (assuming your application is complete, etc.)

thesieve

Post by thesieve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Has anyone here recieved an offer/update from Wesleyan University?

junglemath

Post by junglemath » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't understand how so many schools still haven't made decisions when pretty much every school has an April 15 deadline for attendance confirmation.

password

Post by password » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:39 pm

If anyone is still waiting on UC Irvine, I suggest emailing prof Guidotti. He gave my query a quick response with a reasonably informative update on my application status.
Last edited by password on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Has anybody still not heard from Purdue (pure math)?

Grinver

Post by Grinver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:11 pm

thesieve wrote:Has anyone here recieved an offer/update from Wesleyan University?
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago, this is what they told me:

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. We received next year’s budget for our graduate program a few weeks ago, and after a careful review of the budget we have decided that we cannot admit any students in Fall 2018. However, we project that everything will return to normal the year after (i.e. Fall 2019) and we strongly encourage you to submit an application if you are still interested and available at that time."

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 pm

junglemath wrote:I don't understand how so many schools still haven't made decisions when pretty much every school has an April 15 deadline for attendance confirmation.
Schools can't admit more students until someone declines; but those admitted cannot decline until they hear back from all the schools they are interested in; which in turn won't happen until someone declines those schools; which in turn wont happen until they visit for open houses; which in turn...

egoyaq

Post by egoyaq » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Has anyone received an official acceptance from Brandeis? I was invited to their open house and will attend. Does this mean I will be admitted?

password

Post by password » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm

under_my_wng_yngGxy wrote:
junglemath wrote:I don't understand how so many schools still haven't made decisions when pretty much every school has an April 15 deadline for attendance confirmation.
Schools can't admit more students until someone declines; but those admitted cannot decline until they hear back from all the schools they are interested in; which in turn won't happen until someone declines those schools; which in turn wont happen until they visit for open houses; which in turn...
Second week of April should be interesting :)

Sepens

Post by Sepens » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Has anyone heard from Caltech for ACM? Surprised I haven't seen much about it on gradcafe.

thesieve

Post by thesieve » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Grinver wrote:
thesieve wrote:Has anyone here recieved an offer/update from Wesleyan University?
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago, this is what they told me:

"Thank you for your interest in our graduate program. We received next year’s budget for our graduate program a few weeks ago, and after a careful review of the budget we have decided that we cannot admit any students in Fall 2018. However, we project that everything will return to normal the year after (i.e. Fall 2019) and we strongly encourage you to submit an application if you are still interested and available at that time."
Wow, this is surprising. Especially since I emailed today asking my status, and was told that all of the applications are being looked at now, and I would recieve an email if my status changed. Wesleyan was my top choice :| ... Anyways, thanks a lot for the info!

xyzz

Post by xyzz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Has any international student been wait listed or rejected by UNC Chapel Hill so far?
I'm asking because I've emailed the DGS to inquire about my status and he wrote back that no offers have been made to international students yet. Not sure what that means.

Rise

Post by Rise » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Just got rejected from Boston University. That’s very shocking, I thought I was a shoo-in :cry:

keith

Post by keith » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Has anyone heard back from Northwestern recently?

pamkoo

Post by pamkoo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:48 pm

Is there any update for CUNY? Still haven’t heard back...

password

Post by password » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Rise wrote:Just got rejected from Boston University. That’s very shocking, I thought I was a shoo-in :cry:
Is this type of post necessary? You have acceptances to three great schools. If I were you I would stop sweating and log off this website forever lol

curvature-form

Post by curvature-form » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Sepens wrote:Has anyone heard from Caltech for ACM? Surprised I haven't seen much about it on gradcafe.
I have recently been admitted to Caltech's ACM program. From what I gathered from the professors I talked to, Caltech has already sent out all of their offers for all of the programs in the CMS department (ACM,CS,CDS,CMS). This year there were only 4 offers of admission made for the ACM program.

Rise

Post by Rise » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm

password wrote:
Rise wrote:Just got rejected from Boston University. That’s very shocking, I thought I was a shoo-in :cry:
Is this type of post necessary? You have acceptances to three great schools. If I were you I would stop sweating and log off this website forever lol
It's not do or die but I still am invested in the success of the rest of my applications, especially considering how much work and money I put into each of them.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 pm

password wrote:
Give a man a mountain of gold and he will desire a second.

silentdepression

Post by silentdepression » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:47 am

Did any of you hear back anything from Rutgers ?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:49 pm

djysyed wrote:
password wrote:
Give a man a mountain of gold and he will desire a second.
Give him/her a break. Maybe Boston was a top choice for him/her!

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:17 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Give him/her a break. Maybe Boston was a top choice for him/her!
But this is evidently not the case.

Sepens

Post by Sepens » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:09 pm

curvature-form wrote:
Sepens wrote:Has anyone heard from Caltech for ACM? Surprised I haven't seen much about it on gradcafe.
I have recently been admitted to Caltech's ACM program. From what I gathered from the professors I talked to, Caltech has already sent out all of their offers for all of the programs in the CMS department (ACM,CS,CDS,CMS). This year there were only 4 offers of admission made for the ACM program.
Congratulations! Thanks for the information, just surprised that I never saw anything in gradcafe and it is good to know.

egoyaq

Post by egoyaq » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Give him/her a break. Maybe Boston was a top choice for him/her!
But this is evidently not the case.
Why is that evidently not the case? Regardless of the case Rise is allowed to be disappointed by a rejection just like any of us. We all just want to get into a nice university to do some good mathematics. We should not fight each other.

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:23 pm

egoyaq wrote: Why is that evidently not the case?
It seems pretty clear that his top choices correspond to the most prestigious schools. I don't think I am saying anything he wouldn't say himself...
egoyaq wrote:Regardless of the case Rise is allowed to be disappointed by a rejection just like any of us.
I think it was the way he expressed his disappointment that some people took issue with.
egoyaq wrote: We all just want to get into a nice university to do some good mathematics.
I believe this is called a "non sequitur".

comeback

Post by comeback » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I E-mailed studentservices@math.ucdavis.edu. I guess wrong address then. I E-mailed her just now. Thank you so much for the info!

comeback wrote:Anyone knows what's going on with UC Davis pure math? I E-mailed them but got no reply.
You should have gotten a reply. Did you contact Sarah Driver, the graduate programs coordinator? I was rejected March 4, so I would say you are waitlisted (assuming your application is complete, etc.)

comeback

Post by comeback » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Well, true. But there are still a lot of students holding on to three or five or more offers. Hopefully they will decide soon.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:05 am

It seems pretty clear that his top choices correspond to the most prestigious schools. I don't think I am saying anything he wouldn't say himself...
egoyaq wrote:Regardless of the case Rise is allowed to be disappointed by a rejection just like any of us.
I think it was the way he expressed his disappointment that some people took issue with.
egoyaq wrote: We all just want to get into a nice university to do some good mathematics.
Your three points are very weak.

In any case, it's just a damn internet thread.

egoyaq

Post by egoyaq » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am

While prestige is likely a factor it may not be the only or most important factor in his choosing his top choices. There may be a mathematician at Boston University whom he would like as an advisor. He may like the campus and location of Boston University. I do not presume to know the factors he finds important or his top choices.

It is not a non sequitur because it was not meant to be an argument at all. It was just meant to be a positive sentiment to try and diffuse an unnecessarily tense and combative atmosphere.