Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
petrokov

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by petrokov » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:59 pm

For those of us dealing with Canadian schools, there's a little bit more time. I'm considering an offer that I think I'm ready to accept, though, and it feels good to be done with five months of constant anxiety.

DullPG

Post by DullPG » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Well, the wait is over, I finally got my rejection from NYU :lol: (accepted to unfunded master's).

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks to everyone who kept up with the thread and for updating on important info! Hope you all have a great time at your new universities :-)

backsmile

Post by backsmile » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:00 am

I only got admitted from graduate school but have not heard from the department(UC Davis applied math). No funding information is included. However this is my only place to go so I already accepted the admission offer. Does that mean I will have no funding guaranteed? I am so worried now...

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 am

backsmile wrote:I only got admitted from graduate school but have not heard from the department(UC Davis applied math). No funding information is included. However this is my only place to go so I already accepted the admission offer. Does that mean I will have no funding guaranteed? I am so worried now...
Have you tried contacting them? Unfortunately, that does sound like there is no funding guaranteed. Ofcourse, they could still potentially offer you funding but if you accepted the offer before any funding information was given, they're not obligated to give you finding.

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 am

Screeching into the finish line, but I did it! I'm going to grad school! My applicant profile is updated if anyone wants to check out the drama of my last two weeks. In summary: I'm kind of a mediocre student by the numbers which landed me with one acceptance and three waitlists, got an NSF fellowship, accepted off all three waitlists plus an additional acceptence and an un-rejection. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit five programs over eight days. I'm going to Rice! Very grateful to have ended up in this position, even if it was hectic towards the end. This last semester isn't going to look good grades-wise and although I'm not proud of that, it isn't critical. I'm going to grad school!

Good luck to all those headed to school and all who are still in the process!

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 am

6sand7s wrote:Screeching into the finish line, but I did it! I'm going to grad school! My applicant profile is updated if anyone wants to check out the drama of my last two weeks. In summary: I'm kind of a mediocre student by the numbers which landed me with one acceptance and three waitlists, got an NSF fellowship, accepted off all three waitlists plus an additional acceptence and an un-rejection. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit five programs over eight days. I'm going to Rice! Very grateful to have ended up in this position, even if it was hectic towards the end. This last semester isn't going to look good grades-wise and although I'm not proud of that, it isn't critical. I'm going to grad school!

May I ask why you picked rice over maryland? Was it for academic reasons or the environment, or something else ?

home1915

Post by home1915 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Anyone have any info about the decision of UIC?

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Musicbears wrote:
6sand7s wrote:Screeching into the finish line, but I did it! I'm going to grad school! My applicant profile is updated if anyone wants to check out the drama of my last two weeks. In summary: I'm kind of a mediocre student by the numbers which landed me with one acceptance and three waitlists, got an NSF fellowship, accepted off all three waitlists plus an additional acceptence and an un-rejection. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit five programs over eight days. I'm going to Rice! Very grateful to have ended up in this position, even if it was hectic towards the end. This last semester isn't going to look good grades-wise and although I'm not proud of that, it isn't critical. I'm going to grad school!

May I ask why you picked rice over maryland? Was it for academic reasons or the environment, or something else ?
Sure! The short version is: I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it. I'll ramble a bit. It was especially interesting because UMD was my top pick initially. It's certainly a great option academically speaking. They were also very kind, offered me an additional fellowship, and the grad students were happy to be there. There are plenty of faculty there in areas I'm interested in, but none that I really connected with academically or socially, although in the long term I'm sure I would have found someone I would work well with. I liked the grad students just fine--at some other schools I just didn't fit in with the students. Probably the only big drawback was that the first-year students all share a single office that they aptly call "the zoo." The upperclassmen have a similar arrangement. I wasn't a huge fan of the surrounding area and the cost of living is about 1.3x the city I live in now (but to be fair I live in a very affordable city). It's enough that even with NSF I feel like I can't justify being in a city I don't really like unless I have significant academic reasons to be there.

On the other hand, I really loved Rice. The faculty are great and there are a couple I connected with and would be happy to work with, including one who I was sort of implicitly matchmade with by the other faculty during my visit. I actually applied to Rice because I used some of his work in my own research and we got along just fine. The cost of living is surprisingly low. The biggest difference--between Rice and all of the other schools I was accepted to--is that it's a small private institution. I went to a big state school for undergrad for financial reasons, but I always thought I'd fit better within a smaller, liberal arts type environment. Rice has that. The dean of graduate studies is very involved and even took me on a walk during my visit, the faculty are similarly interested in the students, and the students are a close-knit group (about 30 of them total). I've found I thrive both academically and mental-health-wise in small communities like that, so for my education and happiness it was a pretty clear choice. In retrospect, I think I applied to too many big programs. My preference for a smaller school wasn't really a connection I made until after I finished applications, but it made the final choice easy.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:19 am

DullPG wrote:Well, the wait is over, I finally got my rejection from NYU :lol: (accepted to unfunded master's).
How long did they give you to decide?

DullPG

Post by DullPG » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:22 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
DullPG wrote:Well, the wait is over, I finally got my rejection from NYU :lol: (accepted to unfunded master's).
Until May 17th.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm

DullPG wrote:
ahhhhmeh wrote:
Until May 17th.
Thanks! I ask because I’m waiting on NYU and another school has given me 15 days to decide! Not sure if NYU is gonna get back to me in time ☹️

JL_MATH

Post by JL_MATH » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:49 am

backsmile wrote:I only got admitted from graduate school but have not heard from the department(UC Davis applied math). No funding information is included. However this is my only place to go so I already accepted the admission offer. Does that mean I will have no funding guaranteed? I am so worried now...
On the other hand, I haven't heard anything from UC Davis. At this point I don't care at all anymore but just wondering if I should withdraw my application :? .

JL_MATH

Post by JL_MATH » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:47 am

djysyed wrote:
mooooo wrote: How is UIC for combinatorics?
We have one strong person in combinatorics, Dhruv Mubayi. I've spoken to him a few times and he almost persuaded me to take graph theory instead of measure theory. Outside of him, the stats and probability professors do some basic work with combinatorics. According to the graduate students Andrew Suk is a titan in combinatorics.
Yes, I have heard that Dhruv Mubayi (The DGS) is a strong one.

Andrew Suk had moved to UCSD recently. UCSD is strong in combinatorics while UIC is strong in Alg Geometry (Hope my understanding is correct).

JL_MATH

Post by JL_MATH » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:42 am

6sand7s wrote:
Musicbears wrote:

Sure! The short version is: I liked it just fine, but I didn't love it. I'll ramble a bit. It was especially interesting because UMD was my top pick initially. It's certainly a great option academically speaking. They were also very kind, offered me an additional fellowship, and the grad students were happy to be there. There are plenty of faculty there in areas I'm interested in, but none that I really connected with academically or socially, although in the long term I'm sure I would have found someone I would work well with. I liked the grad students just fine--at some other schools I just didn't fit in with the students. Probably the only big drawback was that the first-year students all share a single office that they aptly call "the zoo." The upperclassmen have a similar arrangement. I wasn't a huge fan of the surrounding area and the cost of living is about 1.3x the city I live in now (but to be fair I live in a very affordable city). It's enough that even with NSF I feel like I can't justify being in a city I don't really like unless I have significant academic reasons to be there.

On the other hand, I really loved Rice. The faculty are great and there are a couple I connected with and would be happy to work with, including one who I was sort of implicitly matchmade with by the other faculty during my visit. I actually applied to Rice because I used some of his work in my own research and we got along just fine. The cost of living is surprisingly low. The biggest difference--between Rice and all of the other schools I was accepted to--is that it's a small private institution. I went to a big state school for undergrad for financial reasons, but I always thought I'd fit better within a smaller, liberal arts type environment. Rice has that. The dean of graduate studies is very involved and even took me on a walk during my visit, the faculty are similarly interested in the students, and the students are a close-knit group (about 30 of them total). I've found I thrive both academically and mental-health-wise in small communities like that, so for my education and happiness it was a pretty clear choice. In retrospect, I think I applied to too many big programs. My preference for a smaller school wasn't really a connection I made until after I finished applications, but it made the final choice easy.
On the other hand, I came from a small department in a no name small town so I really want to try to live in a big city and get involved in a bigger department, and I got into such a place. Congratulations to both of us :D

Rise

Post by Rise » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm

Got admitted into UMN Twin Cities, and rejected from Rutgers.

Late decisions so it didnt affect me much but if anyone here is still waiting, don’t lose all hope!

keith

Post by keith » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Rise wrote:Got admitted into UMN Twin Cities, and rejected from Rutgers.

Late decisions so it didnt affect me much but if anyone here is still waiting, don’t lose all hope!
Do they still make offers after the 15th?

Rise

Post by Rise » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:33 pm

keith wrote:

I got it yesterday, so I guess so. :| They’re certainly not rolling out the welcome mat though, as I’ve received no other information about informal campus visits or even the number theory group there.

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Rise wrote:
keith wrote:

I got it yesterday, so I guess so. :| They’re certainly not rolling out the welcome mat though, as I’ve received no other information about informal campus visits or even the number theory group there.
What was the funding on them?

Rise

Post by Rise » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Musicbears wrote: What was the funding on them?
The letter told me to contact the graduate director for more information on funding, so that's confusing. Either I was given an unfunded offer, or that the chances of someone taking an offer at this point is so low they didn't want to draft the funding letter. It's more likely to be an unfunded offer.

johnjohngong

Post by johnjohngong » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Rise wrote:
Musicbears wrote: What was the funding on them?
The letter told me to contact the graduate director for more information on funding, so that's confusing. Either I was given an unfunded offer, or that the chances of someone taking an offer at this point is so low they didn't want to draft the funding letter. It's more likely to be an unfunded offer.
I think the offers at least from decent programs are surely funded, no matter when the decision is made. If not, they can just reject you at this point. By the way, is there some evident correlation about funding amount and offer receiving time? I doubt it.