Application Fees?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jhgmath

Application Fees?

Post by jhgmath » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Sooo... I'm a poor lady. I have a full time job, but I pay my rent, my entire family's car insurance, and my parents' rent as well. I really don't have a lot of money to spare.

I am setting aside what I can for application fees this fall, along with the money spent on both GRE's (the fee reduction for those is only half, so that's still $104 and $75.) I want to fire off applications to about 6-8 schools. I obviously will find ones I click with well, but I would also really like to toss an applications at the cheaper ones. Ohio State's is $5, Carnegie Mellon is free, does anyone have any suggestions for low cost/free application fees?

This seems like a dumb thing to consider, but being broke suuuucks :cry:

mjc89

Re: Application Fees?

Post by mjc89 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm going to assume you're applying to pure math programs, though for my suggestion it doesn't really make much of a difference.

In general you probably shouldn't randomly apply to places based on their application fee. Take a look at the grad programs on this list: https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... s-rankings. The first thing you must do is research these departments and figure out which ones best match your interests. This should only take a few days. While you're doing this, you can easily check each program's application fee on the corresponding department's website.

Applying to places that you're not interested in anyway would be a waste of money. Try to narrow your choices down to a few you want to go to in an affordable range.

eulerphi

Post by eulerphi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:38 pm

Most programs have a process to waive the application fee if it would be a financial burden. I would take a look at schools you are interested in and see if they have an option like this. You could also reach out to department chairs and grad school deans. I would say this is a better option that just picking places to apply because they have a low fee.

mathisawesome

Post by mathisawesome » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Last I checked, Wesleyan was free. And Ohio State was $5. Please check again for yourself though. :D

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am

jhgmath wrote:Sooo... I'm a poor lady. I have a full time job, but I pay my rent, my entire family's car insurance, and my parents' rent as well. I really don't have a lot of money to spare.

I am setting aside what I can for application fees this fall, along with the money spent on both GRE's (the fee reduction for those is only half, so that's still $104 and $75.) I want to fire off applications to about 6-8 schools. I obviously will find ones I click with well, but I would also really like to toss an applications at the cheaper ones. Ohio State's is $5, Carnegie Mellon is free, does anyone have any suggestions for low cost/free application fees?

This seems like a dumb thing to consider, but being broke suuuucks :cry:
If you are applying to a math program, you may consider the following:
(1) ohio state univ ($5)
(2) univ of Florida ($31.75, less for domestic applicant. Should be $30 or so)
(3) Dartmouth ($25)
(4) carnegie mellon (free)
(5) univ of washington ($45)
(6) univ of pittsburgh ($50)