Improving profile while applying to MS/MA programs in Math?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
qwerty.uiop

Improving profile while applying to MS/MA programs in Math?

Post by qwerty.uiop » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all,

So I'm a mechanical engineering graduate, pondering over pursuing a masters degree in mathematics. I left my job after spending 10 months over there, because of existentialism and remembering my love for math. I'm trying to figure out how much value my current credentials can provide towards applications in math programs , and what else I need to do to fill in the remaining gap.

My undergrad profile reads somewhat like this: (top engineering college in my country in Asia)
1. 9/10 (70%) and 8/10 grades(30%) in all math and IEOR courses. I have a few courses where I got 10/10, but they were mechanical courses, which definitely involved some decent amount of higher level math.
2. Outstanding research profile, with (a) patent in one biomedical project (b) 10/10 grade and highest level institute research award in my 1 year undergrad thesis. The thesis is equivalent to 12 courses, hence 10/10 in credits equivalent to 12 courses
3. good extra curricular experience as well but not mentioning it since it might not be relevant.

Now, I have 6 months before the next fall applications.I need to understand these things:
(a) I understand that my undergrad profile is not exactly a major in math. But how do people get into Math MA/MS programs from non math majors? If I were to explain the amount of heavy math I dealt with in my undergrad and my performance in them, is that a good enough to convince of my aptitude in math?
(b) Secondly, how can I utilize the next 6 months to strengthen my profile and display mathematical rigor which represents my competency for the program? Should I take some well known tests? which are they? Is doing some research in math department of my institute a good idea?

Thank you !

jli220

Re: Improving profile while applying to MS/MA programs in Math?

Post by jli220 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Have you tried the math GRE? If you are not a math major then this should be necessary(but not sufficient) to prove your math ability.

qwerty.uiop

Re: Improving profile while applying to MS/MA programs in Math?

Post by qwerty.uiop » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 am

When I browsed through the universities' FAQ section, they have instructed that the Maths GRE score is necessary for PhD applications but not for the MA applications.

But what you're saying is that while applying for the MA program without a formal background in maths, the Maths GRE will help my application, and in that way becomes necessary for me. That's what you're saying right? What else do you think can improve my app?
jli220 wrote:Have you tried the math GRE? If you are not a math major then this should be necessary(but not sufficient) to prove your math ability.