Low GPA, High GRE

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ademir50

Low GPA, High GRE

Post by ademir50 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:41 am

Hi all,

I know, its all part of a package but I have to find grad schools that pay attention to GRE Math more than GPA, especially uGPA. My uGPA was 2.64 and my current master's GPA is 3.00 because of the weird grading policy of my university (top 10 in eastern Europe and central Asia).

I am planning to get at least 800 (80%) from the next GRE Math. Is there any school that my profile wouldn't seem so weak to?

I'm interested in probability theory, combinatorics and statistics. I have a Bachelor's thesis, an independent study and a Master's thesis, last two are work in progress.

I'm open to any kind of suggestion.
Thanks

Duntch

Re: Low GPA, High GRE

Post by Duntch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Well, actually I would like to know how did you get into your MS program with a low GPA?

ademir50

Post by ademir50 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 am

Duntch wrote:Well, actually I would like to know how did you get into your MS program with a low GPA?
In my country, 2.64 is not very low GPA for Math departments if you are graduating from a good school. I applied to two schools, one of them was my home institution and I got two acceptances.

Galen

Post by Galen » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:49 am

Dear All,

I would like to ask for your advice, I am a bit insecure here. I would like to apply for a terminal master program in Mathematics or a Phd program. My problem is that although I love Mathematics very much, my GPA is 2.82 because I did my bachelor's degree beside a full-time job. I also have a master's degree in Macroeconomics so as research I have the bachelor and the master thesis. I am from Hungary so I plan to take the GRE General and the GRE subject tests in October. What do you think my chances are to get in to Math programs? Since we have just moved to Princeton I am considering the colleges/universities available in the area, like University of Pennsylvania, Rutgers University, New York University and Princeton University. Could you please give me some advice? I just do not want to throw money away. I study really hard for the upcoming exams and I am just wondering if I can take those exams with a pretty high score do I have a chance?

Thank you for your help!