Decision Predicament

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
studsmckenzie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Decision Predicament

Postby studsmckenzie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:05 pm

So a school that accepted me originally told me I had until April 17th to make a decision on my offer. Just this morning they emailed me saying the require a decision by the end of the day tomorrow.

Here's the thing: I am high on the wait-list at my top choice of school. This particular school has told me that I will likely have to wait until Saturday (April 15, the common deadline) to receive a decision.

So my predicament is this: If I wait until Saturday to hear back from my top choice, then I lose out on the other school's offer. This is okay if I get admitted to my top choice, but if I don't get admitted, then I'm screwed and potentially have nowhere to go. Otherwise if I accept the other school's offer tomorrow afternoon, and then get admitted to my top choice on Saturday, I have to back out of my accepted offer.

Does anyone have any advice?

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby mathdumb » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Is that a US school? I don't think it is legal to force a student to reply before 15 April.

Can you talk to that school to defer the deadline until 15 April?

studsmckenzie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby studsmckenzie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:38 pm

mathdumb wrote:Is that a US school? I don't think it is legal to force a student to reply before 15 April.

Can you talk to that school to defer the deadline until 15 April?


Yes these are US schools.

Upon reviewing the common agreement thing, it says that "earlier deadlines for acceptance of
such offers violate the intent of this Resolution," so I think you're right that can't force me to make a decision sooner than April 15.

I suppose I will try to contact them and see if I can give my decision later than tomorrow if necessary.

Pentaki
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby Pentaki » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm

Yeah, I have noticed some schools request that you decide by April 14th. My guess is they don't want to work over the weekend lol.

I would ask if you can decide on the 15th, and if they say no, bring up the agreement. Good luck!

MathCat
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby MathCat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:11 pm

If they do not let you extend, I think you should accept and rescind your acceptance (get a release from the school per April 15 agreement, though I dunno what happens since they don't seem to be honouring it) to go to the top choice school if you get an offer. Don't risk being left with nothing. In general I don't advocate accepting and rescinding, but if they force your hand, they deserve any inconvenience that may arise because of it...

qawsedrf123
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:54 am

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby qawsedrf123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Absolutely what everyone else said, accept the current offer.

"In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15."

http://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

studsmckenzie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby studsmckenzie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 am

Thank you everyone for your responses. It turns out I had nothing to worry about: I got an email last night from my top choice saying I will be receiving an offer today! :)

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Decision Predicament

Postby mathdumb » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

Congrats!




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests