Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
eulerphi
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Postby eulerphi » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:54 pm

I've now heard a few people talking about not accepting an offer until closer to the 15th in the hopes of the school upping their offer. Is this something which actually occurs? Should I just wait or should I ask if there is any way to get more funding?

verysweetjuices
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Postby verysweetjuices » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm

Not in my experience.

magma
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:29 am

Re: Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Postby magma » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:32 pm

The only leverage I can see you having would be if you had another offer that you are considering taking if they do not raise their offer. I think emailing the school and asking if they could possibly give you a better financial offer would work just as well if not better for determining if you can get a better offer. Waiting until April 15th seems to me to have no difference from this method aside from harming individuals who are on the waitlist.

Voided
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Postby Voided » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm

magma wrote:The only leverage I can see you having would be if you had another offer that you are considering taking if they do not raise their offer. I think emailing the school and asking if they could possibly give you a better financial offer would work just as well if not better for determining if you can get a better offer. Waiting until April 15th seems to me to have no difference from this method aside from harming individuals who are on the waitlist.


I agree with this. If you wait until the 15th they will assume it is because you are waiting to get an offer from another place, not because you're holding out for more money.

eulerphi
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Waiting to Accept for higher funding

Postby eulerphi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses. I had never heard of this before either, but I suppose it would be worth emailing them.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests