WHICH IS BETTER: UPenn AMCS master/UIUC applied math master/UIowa AMCS phd

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
TrefoilZh

WHICH IS BETTER: UPenn AMCS master/UIUC applied math master/UIowa AMCS phd

Post by TrefoilZh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 am

Hey, you guys! Please give me some suggestions about which one I should attend.

Basically, I've got the three. Master programs: One is from UPenn AMCS (Applied math and computational science) master without any financial aid and the other is from UIUC also unfunded. The doctoral one is from UIowa AMCS (the same), with 100% tuition covered and a TA with at least stipends $19,000 excluding summer vacation (I may get more stipends and I can expect my summer support also).

I don't know which one I should go to. Basically, I want to pursue a Ph.D. degree program and I've heard it's possible to switch to a Ph.D. degree program at UPenn AMCS (seems quite impossible for UIUC). That said, I've got the reply from the graduate chair at UPenn. He told me it's ''unusual" and the decision is never made before the middle of the 2nd year of a master. Also, some current students enrolled in UPenn AMCS program said many advisors lacks enough funding to give a switched student. I might apply again to a doctoral program if I go to UPenn. Is there anyone from UPenn AMCS could tell me the chance to switch to Ph.D.?

For UIowa AMCS program, the director is very kind and he himself is a quite famous in the research field of numerical analysis. That said, I'm a little bit concerned about the reputation of UIowa AMCS program. It ranks 18~23 giving by the National Research Council. Is it a wise choice if I first attend a master program then apply again for a better-ranked doctoral program (on the same level with UPenn AMCS, maybe applied math Ph.D. at UMich, UW?)

UIUC applied math is also a good one. But I don't have much investigation into it. It's a coursework-oriented one with an optional thesis.

Anyone is welcome! Please give me some advice or more info about these programs. Thanks a lot!

verysweetjuices

Re: WHICH IS BETTER: UPenn AMCS master/UIUC applied math master/UIowa AMCS phd

Post by verysweetjuices » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I'd go to Iowa if they're offering you cash and a PhD, tbh. A MSc from UIUC or Penn won't really mean anything. People also won't be looking at the fact that you went to Iowa - they'll be looking at the fact that you worked under whomever you worked under.

You could always try to reapply for another program and just leave your PhD for another one.

TrefoilZh

Post by TrefoilZh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:21 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:I'd go to Iowa if they're offering you cash and a PhD, tbh. A MSc from UIUC or Penn won't really mean anything. People also won't be looking at the fact that you went to Iowa - they'll be looking at the fact that you worked under whomever you worked under.

You could always try to reapply for another program and just leave your PhD for another one.
Thanks dude! Just wondering is it a more strong applicant profile if I attend UPenn or UIUC then get recommendations from professors there. Also, I heard students at UPenn AMCS program are tend to be more capable and competitive.

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:58 pm

TrefoilZh wrote:
verysweetjuices wrote:I'd go to Iowa if they're offering you cash and a PhD, tbh. A MSc from UIUC or Penn won't really mean anything. People also won't be looking at the fact that you went to Iowa - they'll be looking at the fact that you worked under whomever you worked under.

Thanks dude! Just wondering is it a more strong applicant profile if I attend UPenn or UIUC then get recommendations from professors there. Also, I heard students at UPenn AMCS program are tend to be more capable and competitive.
If that is true, do you really think you going to U Penn would change that? That would be like hearing that the life expectancy in Japan is over 80, and then moving there expecting to live over 80 because of it.

Go to Iowa. You already have an offer. Your MSc probably would not change much...