Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:33 pm

I have seen several posts in this forum and also in Gradcafe regarding interviews conducted UPenn. I would be grateful if someone can elaborate the nature of those interviews, whether it was to check your fluency in English or to have an idea about your mathematical knowledge. :)

zl0001
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby zl0001 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:20 pm

It seems that UVA starts to reject people from their waitlist. I implore the ones, who received its offer but did not intend to go, to decline the offer ASAP. I really wish to go to UVA. Thank you!

Voided
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Voided » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:16 pm

zl0001 wrote:It seems that UVA starts to reject people from their waitlist. I implore the ones, who received its offer but did not intend to go, to decline the offer ASAP. I really wish to go to UVA. Thank you!


I'm in the same boat. The waiting is driving me up the wall.

Voided
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Voided » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:29 pm

zl0001 wrote:I just got waitlisted by UVA as well. Anybody knows the general possibility of getting off the waitlist or the number of people a school usually puts on its list? From the posts on gradcafe in the past, I'm terribly afraid that I will eventually receive a rejection in Apr...


I don't know about the probability of getting in off the waitlist but when I recently emailed to ask about my status the reply included "For some perspective, I can say that we’ve moved on to a second round the past two years of graduate admissions". So I'm quietly hopeful.

zl0001
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby zl0001 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Voided wrote:
zl0001 wrote:I just got waitlisted by UVA as well. Anybody knows the general possibility of getting off the waitlist or the number of people a school usually puts on its list? From the posts on gradcafe in the past, I'm terribly afraid that I will eventually receive a rejection in Apr...


I don't know about the probability of getting in off the waitlist but when I recently emailed to ask about my status the reply included "For some perspective, I can say that we’ve moved on to a second round the past two years of graduate admissions". So I'm quietly hopeful.


Thank you. Your information makes me more hopeful. Despite my earnest wish to get off waitlist, best luck to both of us. :D

k99731
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby k99731 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:47 am

For UCLA, anyone knows how to ask about my status? I have sent a few emails to gradapps@math.ucla.edu but never got a reply.

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

k99731 wrote:For UCLA, anyone knows how to ask about my status? I have sent a few emails to gradapps@math.ucla.edu but never got a reply.

You need to ask the grad director, however, the one I got was saying their "application process was completed." (= rejected)

k99731
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby k99731 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 am

mathdumb wrote:
k99731 wrote:For UCLA, anyone knows how to ask about my status? I have sent a few emails to gradapps@math.ucla.edu but never got a reply.

You need to ask the grad director, however, the one I got was saying their "application process was completed." (= rejected)

Thanks. Since I haven't heard anything from them, I won't be surprised if they have already rejected me. BTW, I just emailed the graduate vice chair, since I can't find the graduate director.

Umm never mind received the rejection.

zihuatanejo
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby zihuatanejo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:02 am

Has anyone waitlisted for Cornell CAM heard from the admissions committee? Also, what are the chances of being accepted from the waitlist?

hans_k_
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby hans_k_ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:18 pm

I have a question. Once you accept an offer from a university, you have to pay a deposit to matriculate. But is it binding? If I get off a waitlist from some school after April 15, can I withdraw from the first uni?

not_an_engineer
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby not_an_engineer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm

Anyone else still waiting to hear from UIC? I emailed them 3 weeks ago to ask about my status, but got no response.

studsmckenzie
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby studsmckenzie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 pm

not_an_engineer wrote:Anyone else still waiting to hear from UIC? I emailed them 3 weeks ago to ask about my status, but got no response.


I'm in the exact same boat here. I emailed them a month ago and never got a response.

magma
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:29 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby magma » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:12 am

If anyone currently has an offer from Boston College but doesn't plan on attending, please let them know as soon as possible! I'm currently on the waitlist, and it is 100% the place I'd like to be.

ead13
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby ead13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:48 am

Has anyone heard from Arizona State's pure math PhD program? I heard that they gave first round offers pretty late last year but I am just wondering whether or not they have already started.

mathstudent123
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathstudent123 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm

hans_k_ wrote:I have a question. Once you accept an offer from a university, you have to pay a deposit to matriculate. But is it binding? If I get off a waitlist from some school after April 15, can I withdraw from the first uni?


I don't think it's binding, but it is frowned upon to do this. If you haven't heard from a school by April 15th, it is unlikely that you will get admitted.

hans_k_
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby hans_k_ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 pm

mathstudent123 wrote:
hans_k_ wrote:I have a question. Once you accept an offer from a university, you have to pay a deposit to matriculate. But is it binding? If I get off a waitlist from some school after April 15, can I withdraw from the first uni?


I don't think it's binding, but it is frowned upon to do this. If you haven't heard from a school by April 15th, it is unlikely that you will get admitted.


haha what if I told you the application deadline was in March. assuming too much

AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Have any of you been waitlisted by UPenn ? If someone knows about their waitlist and chances of getting accepted of waitlist please share it with us. :)

kieroda
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby kieroda » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

I emailed UPenn two weeks ago and they simply responded that a decision has not yet been made on my file, but they do expect to make more offers. I haven't seen anyone post a rejection, so there isn't really a way to even guess at waitlist position. I don't have much hope really.

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am

I am wondering if anybody got off from waitlist for GA Tech.

spablo
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby spablo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:43 am

mathdumb wrote:I am wondering if anybody got off from waitlist for GA Tech.


I got an email this morning saying that a decision has been made and that I'll be able to view the decision THIS EVENING. I'm like... can I just see it now? :oops:

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 am

spablo wrote:
mathdumb wrote:I am wondering if anybody got off from waitlist for GA Tech.


I got an email this morning saying that a decision has been made and that I'll be able to view the decision THIS EVENING. I'm like... can I just see it now? :oops:

I suppose a rejection as there is no individual offer email. :(

AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:09 pm

kieroda wrote:I emailed UPenn two weeks ago and they simply responded that a decision has not yet been made on my file, but they do expect to make more offers. I haven't seen anyone post a rejection, so there isn't really a way to even guess at waitlist position. I don't have much hope really.


Thank you very much for the information :) :)

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 pm

alright a typical rejection by ga tech :(

spablo
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby spablo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:54 pm

mathdumb wrote:alright a typical rejection by ga tech :(


Yeppp. In a way I was slightly relieved, because the school I visited (and most likely will attend) seemed like a great fit for me, and I didn't want to feel conflicted. :oops:

AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi all  I have an important question.

I got accepted to a reasonably good mathematics program. I think it matches my research interests and I was and still am happy to be there. But then I was wait-listed by my top choice. Now, the first university is hoping to have my decision ASAP.(It is definitely fair from their perspective as they certainly don’t want to be screwed by a last minute declination.)

But it looks like I’m going to stay in the wait-list of the second program for few more days. So will it be okay for me to explain the actual situation for the first university and ask for few more days to make my decision. If I mentioned the program which wait-listed me in my explanation, will it be a some sort of offense to them? I declined couple of other offers but I certainly cannot decline the offer of the 1st program without getting off from the wait-list of the 2nd program. :\

I’d be grateful to have someone’s opinion regarding this situation. Thank you very much

spablo
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby spablo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

AR wrote:Hi all  I have an important question.


So I was in a similar situation, except it's not as extreme because I'm not officially waitlisted for the top program I am waiting for (I just haven't been rejected), and the program I have been accepted to didn't necessarily say that it's urgent to accept ASAP.

When I was on the visit to the program I was accepted to, I discussed with the grad coordinator that my partner lives in the city of the other program that I am waiting on, and for that reason I will probably wait to accept just in case I get an offer (unlikely).

I think they will understand that you want to wait and see if you will get a better offer. Just explain to the coordinator that there's a higher likelihood of acceptance, but that there's one program that you want to get a definitive answer from before you make your final decision. You're free to hold your offer until the 15th anyways, regardless of your decision. In your case, you have a reason not to accept until you hear back from the other school.

AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:04 am

spablo wrote:
AR wrote:Hi all  I have an important question.


So I was in a similar situation, except it's not as extreme because I'm not officially waitlisted for the top program I am waiting for (I just haven't been rejected), and the program I have been accepted to didn't necessarily say that it's urgent to accept ASAP.

When I was on the visit to the program I was accepted to, I discussed with the grad coordinator that my partner lives in the city of the other program that I am waiting on, and for that reason I will probably wait to accept just in case I get an offer (unlikely).

I think they will understand that you want to wait and see if you will get a better offer. Just explain to the coordinator that there's a higher likelihood of acceptance, but that there's one program that you want to get a definitive answer from before you make your final decision. You're free to hold your offer until the 15th anyways, regardless of your decision. In your case, you have a reason not to accept until you hear back from the other school.


Thanks a lot Spablo. Much appreciated :) :)
I guess that's the the best thing to do. I hope they will understand the situation.

spablo
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby spablo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Anyone think it's safe to assume that UT Austin won't be sending out anymore offers this week? It seems that they're one of those programs that doesn't send out rejections... I really didn't expect an offer, but it would have been nice if they told me that I have no chance when I checked in in March!
Last edited by spablo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pentaki
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Pentaki » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 pm

spablo wrote:Anyone think it's safe to assume that UT Austin won't be sending out anymore offers this week? It seems that they're one of those programs that don't send out rejections... I really didn't expect an offer, but it would have been nice if they told me that I have no chance when I checked in in March!


They might send out more, but there really is no way to tell. I'm not hopeful. I wish they would just use a waitlist... It's better for everyone.

Not just them, I think Maryland (pure math) does something similar

spablo
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby spablo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Pentaki wrote:
They might send out more, but there really is no way to tell. I'm not hopeful. I wish they would just use a waitlist... It's better for everyone.


I agree. I am very happy with the program I am (almost certainly) attending, but for personal reasons and the fact that UTA was my dream school, I wanted to wait until the deadline just in case. I feel bad for making the other program wait until the last minute :roll:, but luckily for them, it's highly unlikely that I will get an offer from UTA!

yw197
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:00 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby yw197 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 am

spablo wrote:Anyone think it's safe to assume that UT Austin won't be sending out anymore offers this week? It seems that they're one of those programs that doesn't send out rejections... I really didn't expect an offer, but it would have been nice if they told me that I have no chance when I checked in in March!


I just declined the offer from UTA. Good luck!

rpd
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby rpd » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:48 am

Any news from UIUC? They promised to make some offers by April 10... Has anyone got one?

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:52 am

Does anyone know whether Canadian schools sent out rejection? All of them are still pending.

Voided
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Voided » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:02 pm

So I finally got offers at the start of this week from Iowa and Oregon. Have declined Iowa and will probably go to Oregon. Pretty excited and I feel like I can breathe again.

k99731
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby k99731 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

Has anyone heard from Cornell recently? I just want to receive a generic rejection...


Well then I got the rejection.
Last edited by k99731 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

wooooo
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby wooooo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:49 am

mathdumb wrote:Does anyone know whether Canadian schools sent out rejection? All of them are still pending.


I'm in the same boat as you. I know that UBC and Toronto have already sent out their first round of acceptances and I guess they will only send more offers if they have space left. No clue about Mcgill.

zl0001
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:05 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby zl0001 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Jeez...Davis, Pittsburgh, Uflorida, Northeastern. still four schools that I have applied to seem unable to make/announce their decision until the very last minute.

AR
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:38 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby AR » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 am

In the waitlist of UPenn for about 3 weeks now. I sincerely hope they will give a definite answer soon , as today is the deadline for many other programs. It is my top choice but sometimes I feel a direct rejection is better than being waitlisted because is with the uniform deadline it is so hard to cope with this uncertainty. :(

rpd
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby rpd » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am

To those who have been accepted to UIUC off the waitlist (if there are any on this forum): I wonder what are your areas of interest? And congratulations of course! :)

verysweetjuices
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby verysweetjuices » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

mathdumb wrote:Does anyone know whether Canadian schools sent out rejection? All of them are still pending.



I just declined Toronto, so if you applied there, you might get a notice. Good luck!

User avatar
ghostfish
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby ghostfish » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Still waiting on Northwestern... The suspense is killing me!

Voided
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Voided » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 am

So, anyone else attending U Oregon? Hit me up!

mathdumb
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby mathdumb » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Anyone attending MSU? Let's say a hi.

zihuatanejo
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby zihuatanejo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:15 pm

Hey! Anyone here joining the CSE program at Georgia Tech? Do let me know! :)

BlaireOllie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 am

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby BlaireOllie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 am

Voided wrote:
zl0001 wrote:It seems that UVA starts to reject people from their waitlist. I implore the ones, who received its offer but did not intend to go, to decline the offer ASAP. I really wish to go to UVA. Thank you!


I'm in the same boat. The waiting is driving me up the wall.


Same here man.

Turing101
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Re: Fall 2017 Sweat Thread

Postby Turing101 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:43 am

Hi everyone, where are the 2018 applicants?




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests