Princeton Review 4th Edition - Cracking GRE Math Sbj Test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Legendre

Princeton Review 4th Edition - Cracking GRE Math Sbj Test

Post by Legendre » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 am

http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Mathemat ... 675&sr=1-3

I own the 3rd edition. Don't mind spending money on the 4th edition if there are any new materials. But I can't find ANY information on Princeton Review's site or Amazon or anywhere else about what has changed in the 4th edition. I hope they added stuff for Geometry, Algorithm, Numerical Analysis and a new paper. (but knowing PR, it'll probably never happen lol)

Anyone happen to know? :P

zombie

Re: Princeton Review 4th Edition - Cracking GRE Math Sbj Test

Post by zombie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am

I stopped at Barnes and Noble and cross referenced edition 3 with 4. There are added sections on Graph Theory (about a page) and Algorithms (about half a page). Plus all of those errors we spotted in edition 3 have been corrected. Unfortunately, the practice test is exactly the same, so I don't recommend buying edition 4 for those who have read edition 3. In retrospect, I should've read edition 3 less and a book like Stewart's Calculus text more! Anyways, taking the exam in April?

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:48 am

zombie wrote:I stopped at Barnes and Noble and cross referenced edition 3 with 4. There are added sections on Graph Theory (about a page) and Algorithms (about half a page). Plus all of those errors we spotted in edition 3 have been corrected. Unfortunately, the practice test is exactly the same, so I don't recommend buying edition 4 for those who have read edition 3. In retrospect, I should've read edition 3 less and a book like Stewart's Calculus text more! Anyways, taking the exam in April?
No wonder I couldn't find the list of changes anywhere: if they posted it, no one would buy the 4th edition. :D

I am suppose to take the exam in April but might be pushing it back (again) to Oct. :lol: British degree + non-mathematics background (mathematical economics major) = long way to go to tackle the subject test in mathematics. :(

One problem with reading text is that they are so unbounded in scope while a book like Princeton Review nicely bound the syllabus for us. (unfortunately, PR doesn't seem to be doing it very well) The lack of third party preparation publications is quite perplexing in my case because I am not familiar with the US maths major syllabus. In contrast, the GRE General test has plenty of nice third party books.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:25 am

The 4th edition is 464 pages.
The 3rd and 2nd edition are both 438 pages.

Did they just reorganize the book to squeeze 26 extra pages out of it? Sorry, I live in some backwater asian country and so its hard for me to find a 4th edition copy to compare with!