Programs related to Game theory

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
wooooo

Programs related to Game theory

Post by wooooo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:51 am

Looking for specific programs/ unviersities with active research in game theory. Most of the institues have professors working in the Economics/ Comp Sci department, even though they have a PhD in Maths. Apart from LSE, I could not find any research group in maths dept working on game theory. Any suggestions?

arima

Re: Programs related to Game theory

Post by arima » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I don't think you will find many math department with a game theory group. People think of John Nash at Princeton Math department with his Nobel Prize in Economics due to his work in game theory. But mathematicians don't view Nash's game theory work as his major accomplishments as crazy as that may sound. Mathematicians are more impressed with his pioneering work in geometry and PDE's which he has won math awards for.

wooooo

Post by wooooo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes, I am aware of that. My interests are based more on the work of Llyod Shapely, Stochastic Games. There a few active Maths research groups in Tel Aviv and Hebrew University working on it.

mango

Post by mango » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:07 pm

If you want to do game theory why not apply to econ and computer science groups that do game theory. If you are worried about getting in to econ/cs programs try contacting the schools and see if you can do a PhD in the math department while being coadvised by someone working in game theory, or try to contact the professors doing game theoretic work you are interested in directly.