Submitting a low subject test GRE score to schools where it is "optional, but recommended"?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
omhk

Submitting a low subject test GRE score to schools where it is "optional, but recommended"?

Post by omhk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:39 am

I only took it this October. Definitely should have allotted myself more study time and taken it more seriously. I scored in the 46th percentile (domestic student, if that matters).

I'm applying to applied math programs, and almost all (90%) of the schools say that the subject test is "optional, but recommended." My highest reach school, Stanford's ICME, says "It is highly recommended, although not required, for Ph.D. applicants to take the GRE Subject Test in Math, Physics, or computer science."

My application is fairly strong, I think. I have a great GPA, good general GRE scores, solid research experience in the subfield I'm interested in studying. Two of my reference letters are from well-known profs in my field and the third is my undergrad academic advisor. I'm pretty sure my score detracts from my application entirely, but I'm not sure what the admissions committees will infer if I leave the score off.

Thoughts?

MathCat

Re: Submitting a low subject test GRE score to schools where it is "optional, but recommended"?

Post by MathCat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I would not submit it, personally. I think it can only hurt you.

verysweetjuices

Re: Submitting a low subject test GRE score to schools where it is "optional, but recommended"?

Post by verysweetjuices » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:40 am

I don't know much about the GRE scores but I don't see how submitting the score can detract from an otherwise good application. From what I understand, the GRE scores aren't really the focal point of any application. If it's that bad, they can just ignore the score and look at the rest of the application.