Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
enork

Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Post by enork » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:58 am

Since only profiles are allowed in the official profile thread and I didn't see a thread like this already in existence, here's a place to discuss profiles from that thread.

enork

Re: Discussion: 2010 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Post by enork » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:06 am

@ggamsoon: Unfortunately your TOEFL score might be a problem for getting admitted to US programs. I think a lot of schools have minimum requirements somewhere around 100, although it probably varies from program to program. For example I looked on the website for U Chicago and their minimum is 90. They might still consider you, but that would probably hurt your chances. If you're really set on studying in the US you might have to take some time working on that score. There may be exceptions and you should do some more research into it. Also I'm not an international student so maybe someone with more direct experience can give some advice here.

hmmmmm

Post by hmmmmm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:02 am

@enork:

It is not 90, it's 104. (and at least 26 in EACH component). It seems to be a strict requirement, so ggamsoon probably has no chance for Chicago. :(

Also I heard that state schools look more at your English ability as you have to teach, so the chance for schools like penn state might also be affected.

ebaronov

Post by ebaronov » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:25 am

@ggamsoon
I think you have you Q and V score mixed up. :D :D

It is true that some schools require above 100 on the toefl, but there are some that require only 80 and some that don't have a strict toefl requirement at all.
Also I think if your score is a little bit off they can still admit you but have you retake the test. A friend of mine was worried about the ridiculous UCLA speaking requirement. Their overall requirement is 84 or something but they want you to score 24 on the speaking section (for you lucky ones that don't have to take the toefl, the speaking section is the HARDEST one). He emailed them and they told him that they will consider him but they will make him retake the test.
I think you should've emailed the schools and ask if they will consider you with your toefl score. It is a little late for that now, so all you can do is wait. I wish you good luck and if you don't get in anywhere this year, take some extensive english classes. You may waste a year but it won't be a total waste since you will need to be fluent in English when you start gradschool and with a better toefl score you can get into a much better school.

ebaronov

Post by ebaronov » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:37 am

hmmmmm wrote:@enork:

It is not 90, it's 104. (and at least 26 in EACH component). It seems to be a strict requirement, so ggamsoon probably has no chance for Chicago. :(

Also I heard that state schools look more at your English ability as you have to teach, so the chance for schools like penn state might also be affected.
Are you sure about that. I remember when I was worried about my toefl score I was checking each school website for their exact requirements and I remember I was confused about Chicago. I think they have 2 different requirements and the 104 doesn't apply for math. Yet again, I'm not sure.

I don't think the state schools have higher toefl requirement. Teaching assistantship is the main source of funding for grad students in math at any university. So they expect you to teach everywhere. Foreign students are supposed to pass some test before they start teaching.

hmmmmm

Post by hmmmmm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 am

ebaronov wrote:
Are you sure about that. I remember when I was worried about my toefl score I was checking each school website for their exact requirements and I remember I was confused about Chicago. I think they have 2 different requirements and the 104 doesn't apply for math. Yet again, I'm not sure.

I don't think the state schools have higher toefl requirement. Teaching assistantship is the main source of funding for grad students in math at any university. So they expect you to teach everywhere. Foreign students are supposed to pass some test before they start teaching.
Oops my bad, you are right it's 90.

For state schools, I only heard this from my professor - that relatively speaking they may weigh your English ability a bit more. Whether it's true I'm not sure.

pbharathwaj

Post by pbharathwaj » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:52 am

Hey,
for UCLA, although its mentioned that u need a score of atleast 24 in the TOEFL speaking section, the math dept of UCLA checks whether a person has the overall required score. I had gotten 23 in the speaking section and got this clarified with the math dept there.

muckthatguy

Post by muckthatguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:42 pm

What do you guys think? I feel that I aimed about 'right'. I'd say Virginia Tech is a bit of a reach, but I'd be happy to go to any of the schools I listed. :)

razor

Post by razor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:59 pm

grr why are there replies in the profile thread which are not supposed to be there?

ana3a

Post by ana3a » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

seriously, after everyone's effort to make it a clean thread ...
someone delete the damn things