Should I apply to the Top 10, based on just my Subject GRE score?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
fierydemon

Should I apply to the Top 10, based on just my Subject GRE score?

Postby fierydemon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi there!
I am an Indian student enrolled in the PhD program in Mathematics at Central Michigan University (a relatively unknown program). I have a weak background in my undergrad. I did Mechanical Engineering (at BITS Pilani, for people who know about Indian colleges), and had a low CGPA (6.7/10) with bad grades in Math subjects.

My profile:

1. Dean's Research Assistantship. This is the most prestigious fellowship given to any incoming student at Central Michigan University.
2. Nominated by the Department to attend a workshop on Tropical Geometry at MSRI, Berkeley.
3. Pursued Mechanical Engineering at BITS Pilani, India, and then switched to Mathematics.
4. Only candidate to clear the Algebra qualifying exam. I got around 90%. The passing mark was 70%
5. GRE: 336/340. Subject GRE: 97 percentile.
6. Math blog: cozilikethinking.wordpress.com
7. Singapore Math Olympiad: Bronze
8. GPA: 3.85/4
9. Selected for the Master's program at Chennai Mathematical Institute. Interview calls from TIFR Bombay and Bangalore. Selected for the program at Bangalore. I also attended the VSRP program at TIFR Bombay.
10. NET rank: 28
11. Six month internship with Prof Kapil Hari Paranjape on Differential Geometry.
12. Awarded the Keppel Magus Scholarship to complete high school in Singapore. Only student selected from Kolkata.

The thing that has changed in the recent past is that I got my Subject GRE score today: 97 percentile (900).
I had a fallout with one of the professors who had initially told me he would write me a strong reco. Now I'm taking recos from other professors, and I think they will be good, but generic.

I've done some original research in Algebraic Geometry as part of my Masters' thesis. We have proved the result we wanted. However, I will not be able to submit the preprint with my application as my thesis advisor does not want me to.

Should I apply to MIT, Stanford, Berkeley or Chicago? Does just my Subject GRE score warrant that. How about Cornell, Wisconsin-Madison or University of Michigan? Does the blog help in any way?

GT

Re: Should I apply to the Top 10, based on just my Subject GRE score?

Postby GT » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 pm

Your GRE and MGRE scores are very very strong!
How many math courses did you take?? or names of those courses?

korobeiniki

Postby korobeiniki » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:25 am

Answering directly to the title of the thread, just a subject GRE score is not going to open the doors to top universities. It is my impression that it is used as a filter and is not by any means a substantial factor in their decision. By that I mean that GRE scores do not matter, as long as they are "high enough" (i.e. somewhere in the 80s range would be my guess for top programs).

So it all largely depends on the other aspects of your application (letters of recommendation, grades in advanced classes, overall academic standing and aptitude for research / graduate study). That being said, I also think that people with very high scores (say 95+) are also more likely to have a strong application overall.

fierydemon

Postby fierydemon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:53 am

GT wrote:Your GRE and MGRE scores are very very strong!
How many math courses did you take?? or names of those courses?

Courses: Complex Analysis- A, real analysis- A-, Rings and Fields- A-, Linear Algebra-A, Representation Theory-A-, Algebraic Topology- A-, Lectures on Algebraic Geometry- A

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”