Is MS in Maths at NYU Courant worth it ?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
machinescholar

Is MS in Maths at NYU Courant worth it ?

Post by machinescholar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate if someone may give me advices on my situation. I am currently a CS major and about to graduate in the upcoming May. For my final year thesis, I have been doing tone of research related to Probability Theory and truly enjoy it. In fact, I like it so much that I am seriously considering doing Phd in Mathematics after graduation. However, because of my CS curriculum, I have taken only Calculus Sequence, Linear Algebra, ODE, Real Analysis I. Most people I talk to think that I am underqualified for Phd in math.

So one option to fix this problem is to apply for a good Masters in Math program to fulfill the prerequisites. I heard that NYU Courant has a good MS in pure Maths programme which it is easy to get in. However, the tuition fee is very expensive and someone else in this 4rum mentioned it was not worth for them as BS Math majors.

Though, would it be beneficial to someone in my situation ?

Thank you for any feedback !

INDEACA

Re: Is MS in Maths at NYU Courant worth it ?

Post by INDEACA » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:15 pm

To be honest, I believe you are qualified for most of the Ph.D. program based on the courses you have learned. However, taking a M.S. in courant should also be a wise choice if you want to go the top departments.
Good luck.

mango

Re: Is MS in Maths at NYU Courant worth it ?

Post by mango » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Frankly I agree that you are underqualified at this point, at least at Group 1 schools, and beyond that, you probably have not taken enough math to possibly know if you really want to do a PhD. You should have at least taken some abstract algebra before going in to a math PhD program, and you probably want exposure to other topics as well. Have you thought about pursuing a PhD in Statistics or in Applied Math? It seems to me that your background is more suited to that and it will allow you to keep working in probability if you so desire.