State University of New York at Geneseo (Liberal Arts, State School)Major(s):
Bachelor of Science in MathematicsMinor(s):
3.12/4Type of Student:
(Domestic White Male)
(Didn't study at all for any of these, so I'm pretty happy with these results!
)GRE Revised General Test:Q:
3.5 (42%) GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:M:
560 (26%) 10/29/16 (Senior)M:
470 (08%) 9/17/16 (Senior)M:
470 (08%) 9/19/15 (Junior)Program Applying:
Mixed areas that involve computation in any sense, like PDE's, Computability Theory, Modeling, etc.
All Mathematics PhD programs (except Carnegie Mellon, a Machine Learning PhD program)Research Experience:
Physics research at my school, which includes the overseeing and supervision of the research of five other undergraduates.Honors/Awards:
Mathematics department memorial scholarship recipient, Dean's List one semester.Pertinent Activities or Jobs:
Math learning center tutor, general physics lab instructor (involves independently running a section of physics lab, including making and grading quizzes and tests)Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help:
Programming and Data Science Club of Geneseo VP, Treasurer, and Co-Founder.
I have also completed 16 upper level undergraduate mathematics courses with a collective GPA of 3.44, with 3 more planned for the spring.
I scored 1/120 on the Putnam exam as a sophomore.
Finally, as an interesting point, I submitted my subject scores to every school I'm applying to, whether pure or applied. I also didn't have my fall grades on my transcript, because I had some major things happen outside of my classes, and didn't want schools to see the awful grades.Notes
I've marked schools in the SUNY (State University of New York) system accordingly.
I've also marked which department I'm applying to (if applicable)
I hope that my profile becomes an inspiration for other awful-looking applicants, so that they know that there is hope for them
It seems like it is the case that even if you suck and have a terrible GPA and test scores, there will be places that will at least consider you, and (like Clemson for me) may even be places that love you from the get-go!
These schools are roughly ordered by preference, and I will keep the list updated as regularly as possible.
These results were updated by me on: 4/15/2017Applying To:Reach:Duke University
- Rejected (poked with an email 2/22, rejected on 2/23, official result on website on 3/13)University of Notre Dame
(Pure Math) - Rejected (poked with an email 2/6, 2/27, rejected 3/3)Johns Hopkins University
(Applied Math) - Rejected (poked with an email 2/22, rejected 3/9)Stony Brook University (SUNY)
(Applied Math) - Rejected (email on 2/21, accepted to unfunded Master's)Carnegie Mellon University
(Machine Learning) - Rejected (email on 2/20)University of Oregon
- Rejected (poked with an email 2/6, rejected later on 2/6)University of Washington
(Applied Math) - Rejected (Accepted to unfunded online Master's, email on 1/25)University of Rochester
- Rejected (poked with an email 2/6, 3/3, rejected 3/7)Less-of-a-Reach:Claremont University
- Rejected (poked with an email 2/6, admitted to Master's on 2/8, no tuition waiver but a $10,000 fellowship)Clemson University
- Accepted (With likely funding on 2/5, offered $17,000 TA-ship on 2/8, visited on 2/28-3/1, offer accepted 4/14) ATTENDIN
GRensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Accepted (poked with an email 2/6, 3/3, waitlisted 3/6, poked again and sort-of-kind-of unofficially accepted 3/21, actually accepted 3/24 (no funding yet), visited 3/29-3/30, and offer declined, still with no funding, on 4/13)University of Buffalo (SUNY)
- Rejected (poked with an email 2/6, rejected by email 2/28)Worcester Polytechnic Institute
(Applied Math) - Accepted (poked with an email 2/6, 3/3, asked to visit (but no acceptance yet) on 3/21, visited 3/28-3/29, accepted with $18K TA-ship on 4/4, offer declined 4/10)Binghamton University (SUNY)
- Accepted (with no funding, 1/25, declined 2/8)Clarkson University
- Accepted (poked with an email 2/6, accepted on 2/22 with partial tuition assistance of $8,070, but no tuition waiver, on 3/13 on waitlist for full TA-ship, offer declined 3/27)