What to do in between undergrad / grad

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
jenoh91

What to do in between undergrad / grad

Postby jenoh91 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Hello!

I will spare you my life details and just get to the point.

I graduated with a B.S. in math in 2015 and went on to become a math teacher through Teach for America. I wanted to apply to grad school even before TFA. Honestly, the reason why I did TFA was because I thought I would have time to study for GRE + the subject GRE after work since I thought that being a teacher was easy. (well... it's not.)

Long story short, I have one more year of TFA and I was wondering if any of y'all had any advice on how I can go about doing some math research on the side while finishing up TFA. I don't mind if it's not paid. I just really want to do research to help boost my application before I start applying.

Of even if you have any other advice on what I can do to help boost my application.

For your reference, I live in Dallas (not too far from SMU).

ANY advice is welcome! Thanks!

kevincty5

Re: What to do in between undergrad / grad

Postby kevincty5 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 am

Hi. I actually have a similar experience with you. I graduated with a B.Sc. in math in 2015 from HK and now I'm going to continue my MPhil study starting from this Sept in HK. In the middle time after I graduated, I worked as a part-time RA in my university and got several math tutoring jobs from outside for my daily income. Also I took the both GRE exams to enhance my profile of application although it's not a must in the requirement. One thing is good to do is to find your potential advisors and discuss your research interest with them. Wish this may help you!

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”