Applying for an MS in Applied Mathematics without having a Bachelors degree in Math. Thoughts?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
miracle-

Applying for an MS in Applied Mathematics without having a Bachelors degree in Math. Thoughts?

Post by miracle- » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Last edited by miracle- on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoodarock

Re: Applying for an MS in Applied Mathematics without having a Bachelors degree in Math. Thoughts?

Post by hoodarock » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Me too I'm from Egypt and have a B.sc in Mechanical engineer and taking the gre subject maths next October so .. and i need a funded scholarship for M.sc in applied maths

verysweetjuices

Re: Applying for an MS in Applied Mathematics without having a Bachelors degree in Math. Thoughts?

Post by verysweetjuices » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:05 pm

post is removed
Last edited by verysweetjuices on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baskinrobbins

Post by baskinrobbins » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:30 pm

verysweetjuices wrote:Why do people ask questions like this? No you don't stand a chance if you want to study math at the graduate level but do not have an undergraduate math background.
Whoaaa, someone needs to calm down. Why do people ask questions like this? I don't know...maybe they ask in case someone else has had a similar experience and has had success. Never hurts to ask questions. There is no need for you to have such a rude response, check yo self.

My question for you miracle- and hoodarock is a slight maybe that you could do graduate level in applied math, but I do not know at what level since it depends on various factors. I do know some students in my program who came from engineering and computer science backgrounds and have been successful.

Many universities will publish what coursework they desire their incoming students to have experience with. If you are interested in applied mathematics I would say that you definitely need a strong background in Real Analysis (perhaps some experience with complex), Numerical Analysis, Linear Algebra. Some other schools look for their students to have Topology, Algebra, and so on, it varies by school. My recommendation would be to look up the programs you are interested in, maybe even contact them, to see if you meet their requirements. If you don't, you may want to take a year or so to study those subjects and apply again when you feel like you meet their requirements.

Other options would be to apply to engineering or computer science programs that collaborate with other departments on campus. I know some students at my university and other universities that have done this, they will have two advisors - one in their program, one in the mathematics department. Again, you'll have to look up the universities you are interested in to see if they do this, maybe even contact some graduate students and get their opinion on it.

Littlebunny

Post by Littlebunny » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:28 am

Hi! Most colleges require calculus and linear algebra courses. If you have those you shouldn't have a problem while applying. I did the same actually, had an undergrad in Electrical Engineering and now am studying Applied Math at a decent college in US.