Not heard back yet....

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dmi192
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:24 am

Not heard back yet....

Postby dmi192 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:28 am

I applied to a few PhD programs in applied mathematics, but I have not heard back from them yet.
I checked the Gradcafe and there are people who applied to the same programs and have been admitted/rejected.

Should I contact the schools? What is going on if you have not heard back?

nomnoms
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby nomnoms » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm in the same situation, particularly for NYU and Columbia. I would assume we're either wait-listed or that the rejections are being sent out in batches.

airrows
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby airrows » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am

nomnoms wrote:I'm in the same situation, particularly for NYU and Columbia. I would assume we're either wait-listed or that the rejections are being sent out in batches.



I'm also waiting on NYU this is frusturating, I just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!

KatrinaElizabeth
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby KatrinaElizabeth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:25 pm

airrows wrote:
nomnoms wrote:I'm in the same situation, particularly for NYU and Columbia. I would assume we're either wait-listed or that the rejections are being sent out in batches.



I'm also waiting on NYU this is frusturating, I just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!



I wrote to NYU earlier this month to inquire. They responded with:

Dear Katrina,

Thank you for your email and interest in the program.

We are in the process of reviewing applications. Due to the large number of applications the program receives, it takes some time to review each file to make a final decision. We understand that you may have deadlines fast approaching and are eager to receive your decision from NYU; however, we will be unable to guarantee a date on when you will receive that decision. Once a decision has been made, you will notified by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Best regards,
NYU Administrator

nomnoms
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby nomnoms » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:02 pm

KatrinaElizabeth wrote:
airrows wrote:
nomnoms wrote:I'm in the same situation, particularly for NYU and Columbia. I would assume we're either wait-listed or that the rejections are being sent out in batches.



I'm also waiting on NYU this is frusturating, I just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!



I wrote to NYU earlier this month to inquire. They responded with:

Dear Katrina,

Thank you for your email and interest in the program.

We are in the process of reviewing applications. Due to the large number of applications the program receives, it takes some time to review each file to make a final decision. We understand that you may have deadlines fast approaching and are eager to receive your decision from NYU; however, we will be unable to guarantee a date on when you will receive that decision. Once a decision has been made, you will notified by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Best regards,
NYU Administrator


At least you got a response! I was interviewed twice by a prospective advisor at NYU who said he'd let me know in a week or 2 about the results. I emailed him after 2 weeks politely asking what the status of my application was and he didn't respond! It's been a little over 3 weeks now so I'm not very hopeful.

airrows
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby airrows » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:26 pm

KatrinaElizabeth wrote:
airrows wrote:
nomnoms wrote:I'm in the same situation, particularly for NYU and Columbia. I would assume we're either wait-listed or that the rejections are being sent out in batches.



I'm also waiting on NYU this is frusturating, I just want to know if I got in or not so I can plan accordingly!



I wrote to NYU earlier this month to inquire. They responded with:

Dear Katrina,

Thank you for your email and interest in the program.

We are in the process of reviewing applications. Due to the large number of applications the program receives, it takes some time to review each file to make a final decision. We understand that you may have deadlines fast approaching and are eager to receive your decision from NYU; however, we will be unable to guarantee a date on when you will receive that decision. Once a decision has been made, you will notified by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Best regards,
NYU Administrator



They said the same thing to me. They are no help at all!

mathmonkey
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby mathmonkey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Gradcafe seems to indicate that for the pure math phd as NYU some people have already been waitlisted. So it seems unlikely that they are sending out more offers. More than likely is that they're just waiting for confirmation from current admits before they send out mass rejections.

KatrinaElizabeth
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby KatrinaElizabeth » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:33 pm

mathmonkey wrote:Gradcafe seems to indicate that for the pure math phd as NYU some people have already been waitlisted. So it seems unlikely that they are sending out more offers. More than likely is that they're just waiting for confirmation from current admits before they send out mass rejections.


GradCafe only indicates a single waitlisted person at NYU, and doesn't specify pure vs applied.

mathmonkey
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:14 pm

Re: Not heard back yet....

Postby mathmonkey » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 pm

Woops. Sorry about that. Didn't notice that earlier.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests