GRE Subject Test 2016 dates

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
azizali

GRE Subject Test 2016 dates

Post by azizali » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello everyone,
Apologies if this is already answered somewhere, I am planning to take GRE Math this year 2016 for the first time and i have looked at the dates, unfortunately there is only one April 16th/18th exam. I have mailed ETS and the rep 'confirmed' that there is only one exam this year, hmmm...

Looking at this site, http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/centers_dates/ there was an october and sept exam in 2015. I was banking on taking these instead of the April one, so...
1. In everyone's experience, will there be a second and third exam (in Sept Oct) every year for Subject Tests?
2. How does anyone take a secondary Subject Test if all of them fall on the same date? The ETS rep told me i have to wait for the next test date which by what he said i assume to be next year!
-How did everyone else here have to contend taking two subject tests? i assume previously that there were multiple dates in the year (as opposed to 2016?)

Thanks everyone!

arima

Re: GRE Subject Test 2016 dates

Post by arima » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:55 pm

The site is giving 2015-2016 dates as an academic year not as a calendar year. In the academic year, there is the April 2016 exam. Then GRE will give the dates of the 2016-2017 academic year which will indicate the September and October 2016 subject test dates.

azizali

Post by azizali » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks arima, thats what i thought, apparently its impossible to change registered dates from one 'academic year' to the next.....
i guess ill just have to give ETS more money.....

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:34 pm

Did the ETS rep know by year you meant 2016, and not 2015-2016? There's just no way they're not doing any fall exams. People in their junior year are focusing on getting into an REU and learning math. Their senior year is when they focus on wrapping things up and reviewing everything to take the test.

If you look here: https://web.archive.org/web/20150308160 ... ters_dates you'll see they didn't have anything about Fall 2015 dates yet. It wasn't until early July (see https://web.archive.org/web/20150707013 ... ters_dates) that 15-16 dates were announced.

Keep in mind the ETS year runs from July-June. This affects, for example, the 5 year rule with score reporting. You need to have taken the GRE within 5 years of grad school applications. But if you take it (I'm just talking general GRE here) in, say, July 2016, it's actually valid until June 2022. Some schools may want more recent scores, but ETS' rule is based on their own year.

I recommend emailing back and asking for clarification.

azizali

Post by azizali » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:04 am

Maybe i worded my enquiry too ambiguously that the rep didnt understand that i wanted to take ANY exam this year for the coming 2017 year application, but i guess (high probability!) ill just take the exam again later in the year if i feel my april results arent up to mark.

I dont know what my prospects will be in 5 years, but hopefully it wont take me too long to be accepted by any program....

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:42 am

That's not what I meant. I started a Math PhD about 5 years ago, later decided to quit and change fields to CS. Had to take the general GRE again. Technically, because of ETS' calendar, I didn't have to, but they changed the scoring from /800 to /170, so I wanted some modern scores. I also retook the subject GRE, which was pretty silly, but whatever.

What I can say is many years ago I took it in Oct and Nov (or Sept and Oct? dunno), and last year I took it in April. April was by far the easiest version I saw, but then again, I spent a couple years in math grad school before the April test, so maybe it's not fair to say that. (Though I only prepared about 1 day for the test and hadn't done any math in a couple years.)