Math PhD Interview

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
leviethai

Math PhD Interview

Post by leviethai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:01 am

I know math programs don't interview, but there are always exceptions. I got an interview invitation from Vanderbilt last week, and will go there next week.

Does anyone know any useful suggestion that I should prepare for? Do you have a friend that was interviewed by Vanderbilt, or other schools, as well? Is it gonna be casual, or very casual? How is it like?

I hope to receive some replies, because Vanderbilt is one of my favorite schools; I really want to make a good impression during the interview.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

ghjk

Re: Math PhD Interview

Post by ghjk » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:14 am

leviethai wrote:I know math programs don't interview, but there are always exceptions. I got an interview invitation from Vanderbilt last week, and will go there next week.

Does anyone know any useful suggestion that I should prepare for? Do you have a friend that was interviewed by Vanderbilt, or other schools, as well? Is it gonna be casual, or very casual? How is it like?

I hope to receive some replies, because Vanderbilt is one of my favorite schools; I really want to make a good impression during the interview.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!
Just be yourself! Btw, Fw1812 also received an invitation to interview there, so you guys should prepare together:) Would be really helpful to everyone if you can post your profile on the other thread.

leviethai

Post by leviethai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:13 pm

Thank you!

I just want to know if the interview is only for screening process or an actual interview where I have to solve Riemann Hypothesis in 2 hours (just kidding.)

I already posted my profile, hope that helps people.

Fw1812

Post by Fw1812 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Yep, wondering the same things.
Hopefully it's just to get to know us; I inquired a bit further and they seemed to imply that it's to determine which candidates they want to give a "topping up award," which I gather is a higher stipend, but I'm not sure. I sure hope it's not a rigorous, problem-solving interview.
Did you pick the professors you'd like to meet?

leviethai

Post by leviethai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:49 pm

I did pick about 3 professors. My rec knows one of the professors, so I would like to meet with him.

I also hope it's just a process that determines who gets more money, about which I'm not really worried. Hopefully, we are all accepted!

When will you go there?

Fw1812

Post by Fw1812 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:31 pm

leviethai wrote:I did pick about 3 professors. My rec knows one of the professors, so I would like to meet with him.

I also hope it's just a process that determines who gets more money, about which I'm not really worried. Hopefully, we are all accepted!

When will you go there?
Yeah same here.
I'm headed there the 7th. You?

leviethai

Post by leviethai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Same here as well. Pretty excited.