Fall 2016 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
rpought

Re: Fall 2016 Application Sweat Thread

Post by rpought » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:20 am

KatrinaElizabeth wrote:
rpought wrote:I went to Davis as an undergrad. Rent was cheap there IF you knew what to look for. I lived in three places. First was $450/month. Second was $310/month. Third was $370/month. All were found through Craigslist.

Let me know if you have any questions about the town of Davis. It's a nice place.
Cool! That's actually very encouraging! I will be in touch!

Plus, I spent a summer studying math at Purdue, so let me know if you have any questions about the area!
The places weren't great but I had no problem.

I'm planning on accepting Purdue. It is a great fit. I'm a little worried about living in Indiana after living in California. California is so nice, haha.

veektorreeyah

Post by veektorreeyah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:03 pm

In response to other people wondering about UC schools and not getting paid until Nov 1, the same happened with me (I am also at a UC school). The school year lasts from October to June, but their pay schedule is a month later so you will get paid November to July.

Summer pay is on a different schedule. I worked July through September but got paid July and August. Other UC schools may be different though. October always seems to be left out on the pay schedule so you will need to plan ahead.

If you cannot wait out the month of October, especially after relocating, I suggest getting a small loan for that month. Make sure you fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible so you can go through the school's Financial Aid office. My FAFSA was filled out late so I couldn't use this option my first year. Another option is to go through a local bank and get a credit card with no interest for the first year or so, which is what I ended up doing. Second year I got a student loan for the month of October.

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm still really excited about UC Davis and am planning on going to their welcome days. It's one of my top two choices so far. But see, they reimburse us up to $500 for travel expenses for the spring welcome days for prospective grad students, and if I end up going there, they would only provide less than half that amount ($225) in order to 'move' there. :-/

zhangvict

Post by zhangvict » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Still nothing from Berkeley, even on Gradcafe since Feb 9. Starting to think they are really done with positive responses.

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:22 pm

zhangvict wrote:Still nothing from Berkeley, even on Gradcafe since Feb 9. Starting to think they are really done with positive responses.
I still have hope! Someone said they are still considering applicants. :-)

zhangvict

Post by zhangvict » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:38 pm

KatrinaElizabeth wrote: I still have hope! Someone said they are still considering applicants. :-)
Who and when?

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:42 pm

lonny_sti wrote:I've just called to the Berkeley math department. They are still working with applications, so we need to wait...
I was referring to this, from a week ago. I don't believe anyone reported anything since then, so maybe they're still working with the applications.

lonny_sti

Post by lonny_sti » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:31 pm

zhangvict wrote:
KatrinaElizabeth wrote: I still have hope! Someone said they are still considering applicants. :-)
Who and when?
I called to the Berkeley Math Department approximately a week ago; they said that they were working with the applications. I didn't hear back about my application since that time.

cohomology

Post by cohomology » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 pm

I received an email from Director of Graduate Studies at UIUC asking if I was still interested. He told me that my interests fit well with the strength of their department. He also told me to send my grades for fall 2015-16. My question is, should I give an explanation if my grades for that semester is low compared to all the other semesters? Also, is this just an inquiry mail or am I unofficially selected?

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:34 pm

Yeah Berkeley is still working on applications. The early offers was so that they could nab the cream of the crop so to speak. Not all of these early admits will necessarily accept the offer and plus Berkeley still haven't finished even filled up all of the open slots for admits yet(I contacted them). In previous years they even accepted students up until mid-late March, so don't lose hope.

zhangvict

Post by zhangvict » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:04 am

cohomology wrote:I received an email from Director of Graduate Studies at UIUC asking if I was still interested. He told me that my interests fit well with the strength of their department. He also told me to send my grades for fall 2015-16. My question is, should I give an explanation if my grades for that semester is low compared to all the other semesters? Also, is this just an inquiry mail or am I unofficially selected?
These are questions that you should ask faculty members at your institution, and maybe also ask faculty whom you trust to explain your grades if you decided it's necessary. About whether the inquiry means unofficial selection, I wonder if you could just ask the director for clarification, of course worded carefully and politely. Maybe faculty at your institution could suggest whether or not it is presumptuous.
mathmonkey wrote:Yeah Berkeley is still working on applications. The early offers was so that they could nab the cream of the crop so to speak. Not all of these early admits will necessarily accept the offer and plus Berkeley still haven't finished even filled up all of the open slots for admits yet(I contacted them). In previous years they even accepted students up until mid-late March, so don't lose hope.
Thanks for the further clarification. When did you contact them?

Exactimum

Post by Exactimum » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:12 am

Got an official admit from UCSD just now. No funding details to be found.

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:28 pm

@zhangvict I contacted them a week ago.

BreakingBad

Post by BreakingBad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:08 am

Exactimum wrote:Got an official admit from UCSD just now. No funding details to be found.
Congrats! Do you know if they are finished sending acceptances? I applied to the Statistics program and haven't heard back.

Exactimum

Post by Exactimum » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:27 pm

BreakingBad wrote:
Exactimum wrote:Got an official admit from UCSD just now. No funding details to be found.
Congrats! Do you know if they are finished sending acceptances? I applied to the Statistics program and haven't heard back.
I think the statistics program will be announcing admissions early to mid march. They certainly aren't done sending acceptances. I was applying for their computational program which is decided separately.

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Just got an acceptance for UCSD pure math program.

lonny_sti

Post by lonny_sti » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:19 pm

mathmonkey wrote:Just got an acceptance for UCSD pure math program.
Congrats!

mathymathy

Post by mathymathy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Anybody applied to Columbia APAM?

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:09 am

Waitlisted at Berkeley! Definitely my top choice, so if anyone is leaning toward other top schools, consider declining. :-)

rjrjrj

Post by rjrjrj » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:46 pm

Got into LSU Pure Math PhD but wait listed for funding :( Please decline if you guys have received better offers as this is my top choice. Thanks :?:

lobsterroll

Post by lobsterroll » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 am

anwins wrote:
KatrinaElizabeth wrote:
anwins wrote:Stanford has sent out offers about one month ago, and its open house day is one week before Berkeley's.
How large is their incoming class size each year? Is it just coincidence that only two posted acceptances?
About 15-20, less than half the size of Berkeley's (everything like number of faculty members is about half the size of Berkeley's)

Do you know how many they accepted this year? I am on the waitlist and I want to know what my chance is to get in. Thx.

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Stony Brook yet?

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:28 pm

mathmonkey wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Stony Brook yet?
The lady to contact has been out of the office through today. I think she returns tomorrow.

roxanne

Post by roxanne » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:54 am

I still heard nothing from Penn state, stony brook and U arizona. Is it possible that they are still reviewing? Will they give out more admissions in April or May? I am an international student.

leviethai

Post by leviethai » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:09 am

roxanne wrote:I still heard nothing from Penn state, stony brook and U arizona. Is it possible that they are still reviewing? Will they give out more admissions in April or May? I am an international student.
I'm sorry to say this, but I got accepted to Penn State and visited there two weeks ago. I talked with the director, and she said the department already sent out more offers than they could accept. Therefore, it's very unlikely to make more offers at this time.

perelman56

Post by perelman56 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:25 pm

Is there anyone who got accepted from Utah and Purdue and not planning to attend ? Could you please decline the offer asap if you are not planning to attend. These are my top choices. Thanks in advance.

Abeliangrape

Post by Abeliangrape » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:46 pm

If anyone has been admitted to Nebraska and does not plan to attend, I would greatly appreciate it if you declined your offer. Thanks!

gfisbe

Post by gfisbe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:12 pm

As long as we're doing this, I'd be extremely grateful if anyone declines an offer from MIT. I'll even get you something nice if you do.

And if you know anyone who's not planning to go to MIT but you want to go to some other great schools whose offers I'd love to decline, tell your friend to decline and I'll get you both something nice.

tdaniel

Post by tdaniel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:21 pm

I haven't heard anything back from Tennessee-Knoxville, Boston University, George Mason, Georgia State, or Kentucky-Lexington. Has anyone heard anything about these programs? Boston and Kentucky have a couple of acceptances on TGC, but nothing more.

Falco006

Post by Falco006 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 pm

gfisbe wrote:As long as we're doing this, I'd be extremely grateful if anyone declines an offer from MIT. I'll even get you something nice if you do.

And if you know anyone who's not planning to go to MIT but you want to go to some other great schools whose offers I'd love to decline, tell your friend to decline and I'll get you both something nice.
gfisbe, mind posting your profile on the Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results page? thanks

BreakingBad

Post by BreakingBad » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:19 pm

Still waiting to hear from Boston and Indiana. Losing hope for this year. :(

latsyrc1123

Post by latsyrc1123 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Are people still waiting to hear back from UCSD? Also, do you guys think Berkeley is done with all the acceptances and waitlists?

gfisbe

Post by gfisbe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:56 am

Falco006 wrote:
gfisbe wrote:As long as we're doing this, I'd be extremely grateful if anyone declines an offer from MIT. I'll even get you something nice if you do.

gfisbe, mind posting your profile on the Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results page? thanks
Just added it.

latsyrc1123

Post by latsyrc1123 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 am

latsyrc1123 wrote:Are people still waiting to hear back from UCSD? Also, do you guys think Berkeley is done with all the acceptances and waitlists?
Oops, I posted that a bit too early. Just got admitted to UCSD. No info on funding though.

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:26 pm

If anyone is interested, there are FB groups for prospective math grad students entering 2016 for different schools. I joined one and then started a couple more for the schools I was accepted into (Rutgers, Boulder, and Davis). Some schools like Purdue, OSU and University of Washington have them for 2015, but no one has started new ones for those yet, so feel free to. I think it's a good way to meet other prospectives, coordinate travel for welcome weekends and eventual housing and such. Just passing along info---hope this is helpful!

p-adic

Post by p-adic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:02 pm

Sometimes schools doing this stuff also send out a list of visiting students and what school they go to (or at least they sent that to us when I was a PhD student, not sure if they sent that much info to all the prospective students). So you could potentially reach out to other students visiting from your school (or nearby schools) to coordinate travel.

When I started my PhD program, they sent out some stuff about quals etc. to the incoming students, so you might be able to find people to room with that way too.

SoulOnIce

Post by SoulOnIce » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Some Umaryland rejections today. Literally been checking my status all day and still "under departmental review". A waitlist to come in, perhaps?

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:00 pm

I think that NYU has already waitlisted people for pure math based on the new gradcafe post.

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:44 pm

mathmonkey wrote:I think that NYU has already waitlisted people for pure math based on the new gradcafe post.

Ya, bummer. :-/
Did you hear back from Berkeley yet?

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Unfortunately, I got rejected from Berkeley.

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:51 pm

mathmonkey wrote:Unfortunately, I got rejected from Berkeley.

Ahh, sorry. I saw they sent out some of those today. I still have to update my profile to reflect my rejection from UCSD. :-/

mathmonkey

Post by mathmonkey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Hopefully you get accepted off the waitlist at Berkeley. Then that rejection from UCSD won't sting as much. :wink:

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:24 pm

mathmonkey wrote:Hopefully you get accepted off the waitlist at Berkeley. Then that rejection from UCSD won't sting as much. :wink:
Yes, I really hope so! Thank you!

nielsabel

Post by nielsabel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 am

KatrinaElizabeth wrote:If anyone is interested, there are FB groups for prospective math grad students entering 2016 for different schools. I joined one and then started a couple more for the schools I was accepted into (Rutgers, Boulder, and Davis). Some schools like Purdue, OSU and University of Washington have them for 2015, but no one has started new ones for those yet, so feel free to. I think it's a good way to meet other prospectives, coordinate travel for welcome weekends and eventual housing and such. Just passing along info---hope this is helpful!
Could you please show me the link?

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:16 am

nielsabel wrote:
KatrinaElizabeth wrote:If anyone is interested, there are FB groups for prospective math grad students entering 2016 for different schools. I joined one and then started a couple more for the schools I was accepted into (Rutgers, Boulder, and Davis). Some schools like Purdue, OSU and University of Washington have them for 2015, but no one has started new ones for those yet, so feel free to. I think it's a good way to meet other prospectives, coordinate travel for welcome weekends and eventual housing and such. Just passing along info---hope this is helpful!
Could you please show me the link?
For which school? In general, try typing:
"(School name) Prospective Math Grad Students 2016"
and then search for groups or pages. This works for most of the schools I mentioned above.

nielsabel

Post by nielsabel » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:24 am

@ KatrinaElizabeth: Thank you very much. I got some admissions from Rutgers, Indiana U, Notre Dame, Utah, ... Currently, I am considering between IU and Rutgers. Which one do you choose?

KatrinaElizabeth

Post by KatrinaElizabeth » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:43 am

nielsabel wrote:@ KatrinaElizabeth: Thank you very much. I got some admissions from Rutgers, Indiana U, Notre Dame, Utah, ... Currently, I am considering between IU and Rutgers. Which one do you choose?
I added you to the group! I'm deciding between Rutgers, Davis, and Berkeley (if I get off the waitlist). Washington would be cool too, but I'd have to visit the area to know.

BreakingBad

Post by BreakingBad » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:57 pm

Any statistics applicants here? There hasn't been much discussion on GradCafe compared to previous years for some reason.

I haven't heard back from a lot of schools. Not feeling good.

BreakingBad

Post by BreakingBad » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:00 pm

nielsabel wrote:@ KatrinaElizabeth: Thank you very much. I got some admissions from Rutgers, Indiana U, Notre Dame, Utah, ... Currently, I am considering between IU and Rutgers. Which one do you choose?
I'm doing a masters at Rutgers right now and have taken several graduate math courses. I can say the quality of instruction and research is top notch. The department is huge, leaving you many options for advisors.

Rent is a bit steep here in Jersey though (if you're planning on living alone). You may want to find roommates.

crashtest

Post by crashtest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:20 pm

BreakingBad wrote:Any statistics applicants here? There hasn't been much discussion on GradCafe compared to previous years for some reason.

I haven't heard back from a lot of schools. Not feeling good.

Which schools are you still waiting for? I've heard from all of mine, I had an early acceptance, two early rejections and then silence for a month. All of the sudden everything else came in a wave over the last two weeks.