To report 70% subject test score or not

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
airy

To report 70% subject test score or not

Postby airy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 am

Hello everyone,

the results of the September Mathematics subject test GRE are out, and unfortunately I did a lot worse than I had hoped for; I was exactly in the 70% percentile. I am also interested in Statistics/Biostatistics departments. I guess this score already rules out, say Stanford. But there are many Statistics departments which only suggest (or "highly recommend") also taking the GRE subject test.

Do you think I should report my score to them or not?

p-adic

Re: To report 70% subject test score or not

Postby p-adic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:47 pm

70% is solid. I got into a top 30 school with a 68% or 66% or something like that (can't remember the exact number). This was for Math, where the competition is stiffer.

Catria

Postby Catria » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:55 pm

airy wrote:Hello everyone,

the results of the September Mathematics subject test GRE are out, and unfortunately I did a lot worse than I had hoped for; I was exactly in the 70% percentile. I am also interested in Statistics/Biostatistics departments. I guess this score already rules out, say Stanford. But there are many Statistics departments which only suggest (or "highly recommend") also taking the GRE subject test.

Do you think I should report my score to them or not?

No, a 70th percentile doesn't rule out Stanford statistics or biostatistics.

airy

Postby airy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:48 am

Ah thanks to both of you, I am glad it is not as bad of a score as I initially thought! On the other hand, when a program says it is highly recommended or only recommended or even optional to take the subject test (and not required), should I still go ahead and report it?

Mathwhiz25

Postby Mathwhiz25 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 am

I would go ahead and report the score. The 70th percentile is really good for many statistics programs. I would have said to shoot for the 80th percentile if you were going to study pure mathematics.

airy

Postby airy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 am

Ok, thanks! I set my ballpark estimate based on Stanford's Statistics admissions website, which reports an average percentile of 82% on the math subject test among the accepted candidates and I assumed that all good stats programs would be looking for such scores at least (especially since I am an international student). Though ironically they do not provide any quantiles or a standard deviation or any measure of dispersion of these scores, only the mean :P. This makes it harder to interpret.

Mathwhiz25

Postby Mathwhiz25 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:52 pm

I would also advise you to make other parts of your application shine. GRE scores are only one factor. Make your CV dazzling, if they require one.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”