universities

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
aas56

universities

Post by aas56 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:37 pm

Hey everybody. I would like first of all to thank everybody who post a reply or a subject in this forum it really helped me during my revision for the gre subject test.
Having a score of 710 (69%) gpa of 4.0 , a BE in engineering and one year of master in pure math, and good recommendation letters from my math professors. does anyone know my chances of beeing accepted to these universities, or can advice me of something else:

University of Chicago : January 5
University of Berkely: December 11
University of MIT: December 15
UCLA: Décembre 15
New York University: January 4
Ohio State university : January 2nd
University of Pennyselvenia(Penn state): 15 décembre
University of Wisconsin: 31 Decembre
University of Temple: 15 decembre
University of IOWA: January 15
University of Purdue: Frebruary 1
University of Kansas: January 15
University of Cincinnati: February 1
University of Tennesee:January 15
ETH Zurich: December 31
University of waterloo: février 1
University of Toronto : janvier 15
Rice university: 1 fevrier
British Columbia: 1 fevrier
University of Concordia: 1 fevrier
University of brown: January 10th

diogenes

Re: universities

Post by diogenes » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:23 pm

What are your general gre scores and what is your current location of study?
Also, what topic(s) are you interested in?

Code: Select all

University of Pennsylvania(Penn state): 15 décembre
So both schools have the same due date? Penn and Penn State are pretty different...

hrmmmmm

Post by hrmmmmm » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:57 pm

I doubt anybody here really knows the chances of anyone getting into any school (unless they're on an admission committee). You should talk to people in your department to see what others from your school have gone on to do.

It would help to know what courses you took during your masters in pure math and maybe what textbooks.

lime

Post by lime » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:36 am

Nice list of deadlines. Might be very helpful. Maybe we can broaden it a bit.

Are you from France btw.?

aas56

Post by aas56 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:37 am

no lime i am from lebanon , but i had a french education during high school.
i studied at the american university of beirut .

hrmmmmm

Post by hrmmmmm » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

These are just some suggestions, take them with a grain of salt:

My understanding is that if you don't have American citizenship it is much harder to get into an American university.
In essence you're probably having to compete with other foreign students for a smaller number of spots. In some cases GRE from places like China and India tend to be ridiculously high (also in some cases illegally high due to cheating).

Also keep in mind that the meaning of a 4.0 changes very much depending on your school and it's more informative if the schools you're applying to know your school.

You probably want to apply to a wider range of schools ranking-wise than most American do. It would probably also be a good idea to look at worldwide rankings of universities and apply to more foreign schools. In particular there are some great math departments in France.

For your application, you should try to make sure if possible that your recommenders know how to compare you to American and Canadian graduate students. Make sure they know what textbook you used and have some sort of indication how rigorous your courses were.

All that said, I don't have any idea which of those universities you have a good chance of getting into. It's extremely unlikely a priori that anyone will get into Berkeley or MIT or Chicago. But those are all good schools to apply to. I get the feeling in most cases applicants don't have any graduate math courses. Although people who get in may typically have had some. So I think you should play up your masters.

StyVrt

Post by StyVrt » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:30 am

hrmmmmm wrote: In some cases GRE from places like China and India tend to be ridiculously high (also in some cases illegally high due to cheating).
The allegation is a serious one. I don't know about China, but never heard of a illegally high GRE score due to cheating in India. All I can say is that since Indians learn English in a very pedantic way and since (sadly) it is now slowly becoming the lingua franca of the educated class in India, they tend to have better grammar and vocab than their peers in many places.

bobn

Post by bobn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:39 am

Dont include India in cheating.

China, Korean are common places for such frauds. There is no single instance of fraud in India.
Faint remembrance ETS removed CAT and only adopting Paper Based GRE only for this reason in Koreas and Chinas.

There is huge fraud came into light regarding GMAT, in last year, centered at China.

feroz_apple

Post by feroz_apple » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 am

true.....the reason the scores are exceptionally high in India, is because of the course structure of a typical undergrad student. Hence if an average undergrad student actually wants to get 900, its no big deal. But we have one disadvantage which is we must complete our masters to be qualified as those guys wants 4 years of undergrad whereas our undergrad in 3 years + 2 for masters. (Stupid rule, I agree). Hence by the time we are in second year we forget everything as we would rather do actual mathematics( read alg. and diff. topology,advanced geometry, comm. algebra, harmonic analysis, etc.) than revise those stupid undergrad rules. So you see, our problem is not studying them, but retaining them.
And by the time we reach US , some of us are far more experienced in advanced topics than you can imagine.
(This does not encompass us all as some idiots will remain idiots for ever)

hrmmmmm

Post by hrmmmmm » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Hey I wasn't trying to insult any country or their students. I was just adding that to emphasize that GREs are a more complicated issue for foreign students.

I don't think it's fair to say that there has not been a single case of fraud in India. ETS has at times stopped administering the computer test there. I don't know whether they are now, but I assume they have resumed administering it. They didn't administer the computer science test there in 2002 because of widespread cheating, and thousands had to retake it in 1990 because tests were being sold before they were taken.

It's true that students of more advanced topics may have forgotten most of the material ETS tests. One of the many reasons it's not a great tool in my opinion.

bobn

Post by bobn » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:14 am

In 2002, it was based on ETS assumptions. Its was not fraud in exam, ETS taught that people who took test remembered the exam questions and propagated among peers.
I dont know how much truth in this, since, its very common to discuss exam questions with juniors in any part of world.

hrmmmmm

Post by hrmmmmm » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 am

its very common to discuss exam questions with juniors in any part of world
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Discussing exam questions in any case is always in violation of the GRE terms, and discussing them with students who have not taken the test is essentially the definition of fraud as far as the ETS is concerned. You seem to be claiming simultaneously that it has never happened in India and also that it happens with such regularity that it's barely worth mentioning.

I think I must be misunderstanding what you mean by discussing the questions.