Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
maath
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby maath » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Hello, I've been admitted (with funding) for a Ph.D in Applied Math at a school X. I don't have any news yet from the other school Y that I applied to, but there is a slim chance that I might prefer to go to Y instead.

(a) Is there any risk in waiting as long as possible to see what the other school Y will have for me? E.g. can an offer be withdrawn if I delay? Does delaying put me at any sort of disadvantage?

(b) I'm married and my wife is a U.S. citizen. She will not be dependent on me. Do I still need to list her as a dependent?

Thanks
Last edited by maath on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

h0lomorphic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby h0lomorphic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:56 pm

As far as I know, schools in the US are forced to give you until at least April 15th to decide, so there's really nothing to be lost imo in waiting to hear back from school Y.

From what you described, it sounds like in both cases you would not be coming to the US with dependents, since your wife would work if she came, or only be visiting. If you were bringing a kid, say, that would definitely qualify as bringing a dependent. At least, that's how I read things—I'm certainly not an expert!

kokopelli
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Re: Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby kokopelli » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm

One reason the 'dependent' question might relate to is in regards to housing. If you have dependents, you might qualify for married student housing vs single student housing. So if you are planning on being in student housing, it might be better to error on the side of having a dependent, and potentially getting more roomy accommodations for your wifes visits, than ending up in a small single apt.

xor
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Re: Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby xor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:37 am

(a) I don't believe offers can be withdrawn. I understand your anxiety but this decision will still be your final call to make.

(b) I agree with kokopelli on this.

maath
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby maath » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks everyone

MelindaOsteen
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:24 am

Re: Risks in accepting an admission offer / dependency issue

Postby MelindaOsteen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:26 am

Hey, so how has it end up?
My tutor from Papers Gear said there was no risk while waiting...




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MathCat and 4 guests