So where is the sweat thread?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Kilgore_Trout
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Kilgore_Trout » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:10 am

It can mean a couple things.

If they have already sent out a batch of acceptances then they maybe putting together a waiting list. I got a call from Northwestern this week asking me if I was still interested. They were putting together a list of like 5 applicants and wanted to make sure that I wasnt already commited.

If they havnt sent out acceptances they might be narrowing down their pool in order to weed out those who would reject their offer.

sara12
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby sara12 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:08 am

Thanks! They haven't sent out acceptances yet.

xor
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby xor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:20 am

petepete wrote:Did anybody else here apply to Irvine? My current admission status is "waiting for supplemental documents" (GRE scores) although GRE says they have been sent in November. Unfortunately nobody answers when I email Irvine for clarification.
Anybody else with this problem?


This happened to me with University of Maryland, and emails went unanswered. Eventually the status got updated after a couple of months (in February).

I'd say, give it sometime. They have probably received the scores, but haven't yet updated the status on the portal.

petepete
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby petepete » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 am

xor wrote:
petepete wrote:Did anybody else here apply to Irvine? My current admission status is "waiting for supplemental documents" (GRE scores) although GRE says they have been sent in November. Unfortunately nobody answers when I email Irvine for clarification.
Anybody else with this problem?


This happened to me with University of Maryland, and emails went unanswered. Eventually the status got updated after a couple of months (in February).

I'd say, give it sometime. They have probably received the scores, but haven't yet updated the status on the portal.

Thanks. Hopefully you're right.

rsk
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby rsk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:49 am

Anyone here applying to southern schools? I'm getting a bit worried that NC State, South Carolina, and Florida State have sent out offers prior to their official deadlines. Especially since, being the procrastinator I am, I always submit my stuff like a week before the deadlines. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me. Ugh.

ped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby ped » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:37 pm

rsk wrote:Anyone here applying to southern schools? I'm getting a bit worried that NC State, South Carolina, and Florida State have sent out offers prior to their official deadlines. Especially since, being the procrastinator I am, I always submit my stuff like a week before the deadlines. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me. Ugh.



That I am. I haven't heard back from Duke (which seems to be ubiquitous in the applicants' thread), nor have I heard anything from NCSU. Again judging by the applicants' thread, even adjusting for some people not updating, I think it's not really a good moment to sweat NCSU. It's the case that U Florida has sent out some of their offers (I've received one, as have others), but of course that probably has low bearing on FSU's timetable.


Some good news: I got accepted to Oxford's MSc. in Mathematics & Foundations of CS back in January. It's anecdotal, but my advice to future applicants is this: Do what you can to hit the November "priority" deadline. I did, and Oxford got back to me precisely a week after my interview on Jan. 9th. My impression was that they make an effort to fulfill the timetable posted midway down the page here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate ... -you-apply. If that's the case, then there should be a benefit to being in the smallest "round", especially when they have the most places to offer. Again, guesswork.


Of course the real sweat from Oxford won't end until April, when the scholarship I'm targeting announces its recipients. I should be quite competitive for it, but there's still a month of nail biting to go...

sara12
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby sara12 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:33 pm

rsk wrote:Anyone here applying to southern schools? I'm getting a bit worried that NC State, South Carolina, and Florida State have sent out offers prior to their official deadlines. Especially since, being the procrastinator I am, I always submit my stuff like a week before the deadlines. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me. Ugh.


I know NC State has sent out at least a few acceptances.

Kilgore_Trout
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Kilgore_Trout » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Ive heard from FSU about a month ago but it was a special case (nominated for a fellowship and had to fill out a application for it). I think its a bit early to sweat for FSU.

AspiringMathPerson
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby AspiringMathPerson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:58 am

Man I've already seen several USC and a couple UCSB, but I haven't heard anything =/ pretty sure I didn't get in.

zasdzcc
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby zasdzcc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:21 am

Is it too late to expect for any positive reply from graduate school at the moment for international students? Currently, I do not have anything from the grad schools I applied to. Should I expect that all will be rejections at the moment? I heard nothing from brandeis, tufts and boston U. I expect that rutgers and ut austin are going to reject me though I have not heard anything from them.

functorofpoints
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby functorofpoints » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:21 am

zasdzcc wrote:Is it too late to expect for any positive reply from graduate school at the moment for international students? Currently, I do not have anything from the grad schools I applied to. Should I expect that all will be rejections at the moment? I heard nothing from brandeis, tufts and boston U. I expect that rutgers and ut austin are going to reject me though I have not heard anything from them.


I think at this point almost everything is either waitlist or reject, I would hustle and find a job! Got rejected by Brown today, glad I started looking for a job 2 weeks ago.

sara12
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby sara12 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 am

functorofpoints wrote:
zasdzcc wrote:Is it too late to expect for any positive reply from graduate school at the moment for international students? Currently, I do not have anything from the grad schools I applied to. Should I expect that all will be rejections at the moment? I heard nothing from brandeis, tufts and boston U. I expect that rutgers and ut austin are going to reject me though I have not heard anything from them.


I think at this point almost everything is either waitlist or reject, I would hustle and find a job! Got rejected by Brown today, glad I started looking for a job 2 weeks ago.


I wouldn't say this is true. Maybe for the top schools, yes, but I know there are some schools that haven't sent out any acceptances yet. One of my schools just started looking at apps this past week.

mathgirl1016
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby mathgirl1016 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:39 am

I am really happy with my offer so far... but I just wish the rest of the schools would send out decisions so I could just move on!!! Just needed to vent!

zeta_0.5
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby zeta_0.5 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:16 pm

To those who have been accepted to University of Washington(Math PhD), if you are not planning to attend, please decline the offer. I know it's too early to make this decision, but if you already have your dream school acceptance then please consider declining. I have been waitlisted with pretty good chance of acceptance. I am ready to wait till the end for this program, but this is really painful. I will have to hold on to my other offers until I get decision for this program. Hoping for the best. Good luck. Be blessed.

coffeeboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby coffeeboy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:29 pm

No word from Brown.

This is the third time this has happened to me. School sends out acceptance emails -> I receive nothing, assuming rejection -> school sends out rejections -> I receive nothing, have hope again -> School sends out rejection email to me.

xor
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby xor » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 am

I applied to 5, and no response from the other 4 programs. So I guess I'm on a wait-list or pending the final mass rejection. Anxiety eating me up. I think I'll just accept my offer and move on.

bernface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby bernface » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 pm

xor, have you considered emailing to check on your status?
I'm in a similar boat where I'm still waiting to hear from nine schools. Is it time to email them to ask? Is that an expected thing to do, or is it just annoying to them?

catofcats
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby catofcats » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 pm

I am in a similar situation as well. With deadlines coming up, I emailed all the schools (5 in total) which had not yet informed me of a decision. I've heard back from 3. The responses were either "you're high/low on our waitlist" or "we are still making decisions and will get back to you before April 15". The latter was not helpful at all, but no one seemed annoyed. I think you should wait to make your decision until you've contacted all of the schools you've applied to.

sara12
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:59 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby sara12 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:09 pm

I've been emailing schools. I got one rejection today ( :cry: It was one of my top schools and I know I have gotten into great schools already, but I had my heart set on this one) and one school seemed pretty responsive and told me I'm on their wait list and when they need to get back to me/would I be interested in their school still if taken off. Never hurts to try!

Also, this is the strangest process. I've gotten rejected from a school that are not nearly as strong as ones I've gotten into and I feel I'm a much better match for. And I've been waitlisted at schools I didn't think I had a chance at. I don't know what they're looking for!

mathgirl1016
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:07 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby mathgirl1016 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 pm

I received an email from a school saying I wasn't being considered for a fellowship but hoped I would still attend. The problem is, I haven't received an acceptance letter yet!! I emailed. No response. Very frustrating.

Hassan1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Hassan1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 am

Surely we have a lot of talking cats who study math around here:
unclecat
SwifferCat
catofcats
MathCat
dearcatanddog
Catria

I believe there are even more of them out here.
GUYS, BE CAREFUL MAYBE IT'S A TRAP.

xor
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:34 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby xor » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 am

bernface wrote:xor, have you considered emailing to check on your status?
I'm in a similar boat where I'm still waiting to hear from nine schools. Is it time to email them to ask? Is that an expected thing to do, or is it just annoying to them?

No I have not contacted any of them. Now I am wondering if I should start doing that.

Question to the more experienced ones than myself: I want to contact the other programs and ask them if my fate is decided. Please do you think I should mention that I need to know because I have been accepted somewhere and I want to know if to commit / finalize my decision? Think it's a good idea to mention that?

@Hassan1: Ah, indeed, you've let the cats out of the bag on that note.

catofcats
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:44 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby catofcats » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Hassan1 wrote:Surely we have a lot of talking cats who study math around here:
unclecat
SwifferCat
catofcats
MathCat
dearcatanddog
Catria

I believe there are even more of them out here.
GUYS, BE CAREFUL MAYBE IT'S A TRAP.


Perhaps cat stands for category...refering to category theory :lol:

Hassan1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:51 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Hassan1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:51 pm

catofcats wrote:
Hassan1 wrote:Surely we have a lot of talking cats who study math around here:
unclecat
SwifferCat
catofcats
MathCat
dearcatanddog
Catria

I believe there are even more of them out here.
GUYS, BE CAREFUL MAYBE IT'S A TRAP.


Perhaps cat stands for category...refering to category theory :lol:


YOU CAN'T FOOL ME. I KNOW YOU CATS ARE UP TO SOMETHING, "CATEGORY THEORY" IS THE CODENAME FOR YOUR OPERATION. I WILL EXPOSE YOU TO THE MEDIA, YOUR CONSPIRACY FOR TAKING OVER MATH POSITIONS IS OVER.

Sorry guys, I'm under a little pressure after getting rejected by 4 universities and waitlisted by another 8 unis.

ped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby ped » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm waiting until the last week of March to solicit anyone for information about where I am on waitlists. Before then I just don't see much gain, other than reaffirming for myself that these universities do in fact exist, and have staff to respond to emails. Of course I can rather afford to wait that long in terms of my fall plans.

Is it frustrating not to have heard anything back from 4/6 programs to which I applied? Yeah, but emailing them isn't really going to change the process.

MathCat
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby MathCat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Well, the Berkeley rejections are out.

visgraf
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby visgraf » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:39 pm

MathCat wrote:Well, the Berkeley rejections are out.


Another feather in my cap of disappointment.

Mathwhiz25
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Mathwhiz25 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:36 am

I just envy each of you who have been accepted at universities and received funding. I am still waiting to hear from the two that I have applied to. I had everything in by December 20th. According to most psychics that I have spoken to, I am going to be accepted and receive funding. I am not sure if this is totally true. I can only hope it is true because that's what I really want.

bernface
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby bernface » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Me too, mathwhiz. Me too.
6 rejections and no acceptances (or even waitlists) so far. I am BUMMED OUT.

rsk
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby rsk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Got waitlisted for funding from FSU today...

We have made a number of teaching assistantship (TA) offers, and I regret to inform that you were not one of the recipients. You are currently on a waiting list for a possible TA offer if more positions become available.

At this stage, there are two options you can choose from. If you are willing and able to start the graduate program without funding from the department, then I can send you an official admissions letter with no funding, now. If a TA position becomes available later, then you will receive an offer according to your place in the waiting list.

The second option is to wait until a TA position becomes available for you, in which case, I will send an official admissions letter and a TA offer, together.

It is hard to predict when we may have more TA positions, if we do at all, but at the latest by April 15 I will know more.


Needless to say, if FSU offers you an assistantship and you know you're not going, please let them know before April 15. Broken record. Lol.

ScharlachRot
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:26 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby ScharlachRot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Have you noticed that guy who posted a Brown waitlist on GC? He says there are 30 waitlisted people for 5 available slots and that they will rank and reach out to those still interested in early April. Is it a fake? I emailed Brown yesterday about my status and received no answer.

mathorphysics
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby mathorphysics » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:15 am

bernface wrote:Me too, mathwhiz. Me too.
6 rejections and no acceptances (or even waitlists) so far. I am BUMMED OUT.

5 rejections and counting. It's a bum deal.

visgraf
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby visgraf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:24 am

I feel like sh*t after having been rejected by my top choices; my letter writers gave no indication it would be this rough. Does anyone else find it frustrating that you don't know why you were rejected, particularly if you were passed over on a waitlist, besides the obvious "the program decided to accept someone else"?

rsk
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby rsk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:53 am

Curiously, how do you all define "accept" and "reject"? Does accept to you imply "accepted with funding" while rejection just implies anything else, or do you only use rejection to imply "not admitted at all"?

I say this because I honestly wonder if some of the places I'm applying to actually reject anybody in the strict sense of not being admitted at all (at least domestic applicants). I wonder if their general strategy is just to admit everyone who the graduate school will allow them to admit, while "waitlisting" those who didn't receive a funding offer.

Obviously, this doesn't hold for the TOP schools, where acceptance and funding tend to be in bijection with each other. But as you go down the rankings, it does seem to be more prevalent.

visgraf
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby visgraf » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 am

rsk wrote:Curiously, how do you all define "accept" and "reject"? Does accept to you imply "accepted with funding" while rejection just implies anything else, or do you only use rejection to imply "not admitted at all"?

I say this because I honestly wonder if some of the places I'm applying to actually reject anybody in the strict sense of not being admitted at all (at least domestic applicants). I wonder if their general strategy is just to admit everyone who the graduate school will allow them to admit, while "waitlisting" those who didn't receive a funding offer.

Obviously, this doesn't hold for the TOP schools, where acceptance and funding tend to be in bijection with each other. But as you go down the rankings, it does seem to be more prevalent.


A rejection is "you were not recommended for admission" or "you were originally on a waitlist...but we decided that we will not admit you."

ScharlachRot
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:26 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby ScharlachRot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 am

visgraf, I think you did not answer his point. But that's understandable, since you applied to mostly top schools (plus 3 manageables which are nonetheless well-ranked and did offer you funded offers).
I'll give you my opinion on this via PM, since I see some similarities between our profiles.

MathCat
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby MathCat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:51 pm

visgraf wrote:I feel like sh*t after having been rejected by my top choices; my letter writers gave no indication it would be this rough. Does anyone else find it frustrating that you don't know why you were rejected, particularly if you were passed over on a waitlist, besides the obvious "the program decided to accept someone else"?

It is hard being rejected by your top choice :( Depending on the age and background of your letter writers, they may be unaware of how much tougher it has gotten in recent years.

As for not knowing why you're rejected - I don't think there is necessarily a reason. That is, it's not necessarily that you had a fault in your application that ruined your chances, they just liked somebody else more.

ped
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby ped » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Meh, I got rejected by my (tied for top) choice today, and it wasn't so bad. No matter how "good" you are, the top programs take a numerically tiny number of students on a yearly basis. I had done all I know to do with the resources I have to give myself the best possible chance of getting into that school, and I just can't be mad at myself.

There's probably little in the way of a controllable "reason" for a rejection in many cases, in the sense that you couldn't have done anything differently. These things have a certain measure of uncertainty in them, and if the coin comes up tails it comes up tails. That's life. You pick yourself up, continue pushing yourself to do the best you possibly can with the resources that you have, and continue putting yourself out there for the next opportunity. If you think you learned a way to do something (say a component of an application) better upon review, do it better next time. Flip enough properly weighted coins and one's bound to come up heads.

letendre
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby letendre » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:05 pm

visgraf wrote:I feel like sh*t after having been rejected by my top choices; my letter writers gave no indication it would be this rough. Does anyone else find it frustrating that you don't know why you were rejected, particularly if you were passed over on a waitlist, besides the obvious "the program decided to accept someone else"?


I've been rejected by UCLA and it looks like I'll be rejected by NYU-Courant (no word yet), and it can be hard to wonder why you were rejected. Admission rates are just so low that there are many different reasons that *could* have gotten you thrown out by a particular member of the admissions committee. However, if you were admitted somewhere, then that almost certainly means you stood out to the admissions committee. If you didn't, then you wouldn't have gotten in. For me (admitted to Univ Washington, NC State, Wisconsin so far), I just take solace in the fact that some department thought I stood out in the applicant pool.

letendre
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby letendre » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 am

And...rejected by UCSD (3/6). Hmm idk.

sabq
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby sabq » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:11 pm

I got an admission to Ohio State's MMS-Math-Bio track with full funding (I think they always offer full funding to all those admitted). I accepted the offer.

Are there forums set for prospective OSU math students?

petepete
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby petepete » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:34 pm

In the profiles thread I see some people have applied to Rutgers without any decision yet (of course there are always some people not updating their profile but still...). Also GradCafe only has a small number of acceptances and rejections. Is it really that probable that they just built a huge waitlist with us all being up there or is it more likely that they are they still reviewing? Does anybody know whether the Rutgers status system knows something like "waitlisted". Mine still says "no decision" (and I'd really like to know if I was waitlisted so I can estimate my chances but I've also heard that many universities put you on a waitlist without informing you of that at the same time).

FreeOfMarkovChains
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby FreeOfMarkovChains » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.

Kilgore_Trout
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Kilgore_Trout » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:42 pm

FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.


Welcome to the waiting game part 2. People that get accepted to Stanford probably get accepted to several top schools, so some of them might actually reject the offer. Bascially you do what you have been doing for 2-3 months now... wait.

MathCat
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby MathCat » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:13 pm

FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.


I would wait, assuming your other offers give until April 15. Some people do get into several of the very top programs - they can't accept all their offers.

Austin
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:32 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Austin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:45 pm

petepete wrote:In the profiles thread I see some people have applied to Rutgers without any decision yet (of course there are always some people not updating their profile but still...). Also GradCafe only has a small number of acceptances and rejections. Is it really that probable that they just built a huge waitlist with us all being up there or is it more likely that they are they still reviewing? Does anybody know whether the Rutgers status system knows something like "waitlisted". Mine still says "no decision" (and I'd really like to know if I was waitlisted so I can estimate my chances but I've also heard that many universities put you on a waitlist without informing you of that at the same time).


I can't speak to Rutgers' waitlist procedures, but I know that their open house was today, for what that might be worth.

functorofpoints
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:09 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby functorofpoints » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:44 pm

visgraf wrote:I feel like sh*t after having been rejected by my top choices; my letter writers gave no indication it would be this rough. Does anyone else find it frustrating that you don't know why you were rejected, particularly if you were passed over on a waitlist, besides the obvious "the program decided to accept someone else"?


Honestly, it could very well be that your letter writers screwed you by writing a generic letter. This year is obviously different from the last but I had friends with kind of sketchy grades who got into Princeton and other tier 1 schools, so it's not that this year is just so competitive there's no spot for you if you don't have a spotless record.

I had sketchy grades but 2 out of 3 letter writers convinced me I'd get a good recommendation, and either their recommendations didn't carry much weight or they were not that good in the first place. Or maybe the last letter writer wrote something bad to kill my chances.

It might be time to consider changing your mindset if you don't have an offer from somewhere you'd be happy with, it's very toxic to feel hopeless as the letters roll in. I've already convinced myself working an actual job is not going to be bad at all. Also the admissions process has a pretty bad signal to noise ratio, some schools have more professors who give free A's and their students get into top programs and then don't do so well.

petepete wrote:In the profiles thread I see some people have applied to Rutgers without any decision yet (of course there are always some people not updating their profile but still...).


I'm still "no decision", but I submitted my application fee very late haha.

Brick
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Brick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:34 pm

petepete wrote:In the profiles thread I see some people have applied to Rutgers without any decision yet (of course there are always some people not updating their profile but still...). Also GradCafe only has a small number of acceptances and rejections. Is it really that probable that they just built a huge waitlist with us all being up there or is it more likely that they are they still reviewing? Does anybody know whether the Rutgers status system knows something like "waitlisted". Mine still says "no decision" (and I'd really like to know if I was waitlisted so I can estimate my chances but I've also heard that many universities put you on a waitlist without informing you of that at the same time).


Same for me, it says no decision. I submitted my app (and fee) a few days before the due date, and one of my recommenders gave his letter after the due date.

Idk if this means I'm unofficially wait listed, or they never reviewed it.

FreeOfMarkovChains
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby FreeOfMarkovChains » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Kilgore_Trout wrote:
FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.


Welcome to the waiting game part 2. People that get accepted to Stanford probably get accepted to several top schools, so some of them might actually reject the offer. Bascially you do what you have been doing for 2-3 months now... wait.


Thanks for the answer! You see, the problem of waiting is the heavy load of things that loom in your head while you wait. Where will I live? Whom will I work with and on what topic? What should I do in the meantime?

I know I should calm down and all that, but it's hard.

MathCat wrote:
FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.


I would wait, assuming your other offers give until April 15. Some people do get into several of the very top programs - they can't accept all their offers.


Thanks for the answer.
I wonder if having a Fields medal boosted Stanford's number of applications and the acceptance yield.

Kilgore_Trout
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Postby Kilgore_Trout » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 pm

FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:
Kilgore_Trout wrote:
FreeOfMarkovChains wrote:Hello, you all!
I've been waitlisted by Stanford (pure math), but I dunno if accepted applicants actually turn down an offer like that. Should I wait or should I go? I don't have A CLUE of what could happen.


Welcome to the waiting game part 2. People that get accepted to Stanford probably get accepted to several top schools, so some of them might actually reject the offer. Bascially you do what you have been doing for 2-3 months now... wait.


Thanks for the answer! You see, the problem of waiting is the heavy load of things that loom in your head while you wait. Where will I live? Whom will I work with and on what topic? What should I do in the meantime?

I know I should calm down and all that, but it's hard.


Yeah trust me you are not alone. Ive got all this in my head and then I have to remind myself that I need to study and do hw so that I can actually graduate too.




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests