Applied Math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bobbydd21

Applied Math

Post by bobbydd21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:23 am

Does anyone know how much weight the subject test carries when applying to an Applied Math program? I am assuming I got around a 50 percentile score on the Oct. test and getting nervous. Thanks guys.

xor

Re: Applied Math

Post by xor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 am

Hi Bobbydd21

I think you should try to send in applications to schools that don't require the subject test at all, and/or schools that don't make it a compulsory aspect of the application. This will better your chances (unless of course, maybe you already sent scores using the free score reporting option). That's my plan, at least, if my scores aren't too good, because I am in similar shoes, but a little more optimistic. Hoping hard for up to the 60th-70th percentile. :shock:

I don't feel the GRE subject test is a fair assessment of my ability to do research because my only interests in Applied Math are in calculus related research (along the lines of numerical simulation, finite element PDE solvers etc). I am from an Engineering background and didn't see a reason to study some extraneous topics in Math, which I am meeting for the first time and will probably never meet again in my career. Welp. I'll probably pay for such folly with my scores. :oops:
Last edited by xor on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 am

I completely agree that my scores are not a good a evaluation of my actual ability. When the school says they recommend that you send your subject scores do you think I would be better off sending them or not? I've kind of read mixed things on this issue.

xor

Post by xor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:00 am

bobbydd21 wrote:I completely agree that my scores are not a good a evaluation of my actual ability. When the school says they recommend that you send your subject scores do you think I would be better off sending them or not? I've kind of read mixed things on this issue.
Hmm now, here I am not sure what to advice. I have pondered on the same thing myself. What I came up with, was: if a school says sending your GRE subject score is recommended, and I am able to get information about average GRE subject scores for admitted students, AND the average is way higher than my score THEN I won't send in the score to prevent being automatically filtered, or I won't apply to the school.

I really hope someone with more experience can give us some advice.

bobbydd21

Post by bobbydd21 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 am

xor wrote:
bobbydd21 wrote:I completely agree that my scores are not a good a evaluation of my actual ability. When the school says they recommend that you send your subject scores do you think I would be better off sending them or not? I've kind of read mixed things on this issue.
Hmm now, here I am not sure what to advice. I have pondered on the same thing myself. What I came up with, was: if a school says sending your GRE subject score is recommended, and I am able to get information about average GRE subject scores for admitted students, AND the average is way higher than my score THEN I won't send in the score to prevent being automatically filtered, or I won't apply to the school.

I really hope someone with more experience can give us some advice.
I hope someone can help advise as well. I do plan on applying to Columbia and Stony Brook, both of which do not want subject test scores. However, for other schools it seems tough whether to send them or not as many of them do not have information regarding average subject scores.