Accepting Partially Funded Admits?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Gasquet

Accepting Partially Funded Admits?

Post by Gasquet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:17 pm

I wanted to know people's opinion on accepting partially funded admits. Specifically, admits with full tuition waiver accompanied with a stipend that would be approximately half of that of a fully funded admit. Would it reflect badly on you if you accept such an offer? For instance, would the faculty treat you differently than they would someone will a fully funded offer?

Sorry for being vague, but I don't have any specific question in mind. Just want to know what you guys think about accepting such an offer.

Ryker

Re: Accepting Partially Funded Admits?

Post by Ryker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Gasquet wrote:I wanted to know people's opinion on accepting partially funded admits. Specifically, admits with full tuition waiver accompanied with a stipend that would be approximately half of that of a fully funded admit. Would it reflect badly on you if you accept such an offer? For instance, would the faculty treat you differently than they would someone will a fully funded offer?

Sorry for being vague, but I don't have any specific question in mind. Just want to know what you guys think about accepting such an offer.
It depends on the faculty of the institution that gives out such an award.

akbar lipstick

Post by akbar lipstick » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:47 pm

I'd guess that if they offered you admission, at least someone would be willing to work with you. I'd be more concerned about the finances.

lowdt

Post by lowdt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:00 pm

akbar lipstick wrote:I'd guess that if they offered you admission, at least someone would be willing to work with you. I'd be more concerned about the finances.
I agree with this. I can't think of anyplace where half the stipend is ample money to live off without a part-time job on the side.

It's possible that once you have an advisor, you could get more funding, depending on his/her own funds. I know that a student can be supported by an advisor's grants. If it's an institution in the US, I would search the NSF awards and see who has what at this school. Some places have very large grants - others, not so much.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:13 am

Thanks for you input.

It's at NC State. Posted this as a separate thread as it was not about the program in particular. Going by GC, it looks like I'm not the only one to get such an offer this year. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad.

safetybelts

Post by safetybelts » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 am

I wouldn't take it unless you can get additional support by teaching additional classes or working with a professor who has a grant. Use the system and don't get used by it.

ynxysunny

Post by ynxysunny » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:36 pm

I forgot if it was NC State, but my friend knew someone who got into the phd program with partial/none funding, but became funded after the summer. So I think there is a good chance that you will get funding after you become a student there, and more likely so if you are in a very good standing after the first year.