Concerning scholarships to grad schools in Europe

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Falco006

Concerning scholarships to grad schools in Europe

Postby Falco006 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 am

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions I had about getting scholarships for grad school in Europe (I apologize if the answers are elsewhere on the forum as I could not find them).

I'd like to grad school for mathematics in Europe, but I have been having trouble finding good resources on scholarships and funding. I am particuarly interested in ETH in Switzerland, but their website suggests they do not offer scholarships for international students (they recommend getting scholarships from one's home country, and I'm not exactly sure what they are alluding to; any help would be appreciated).

Another question I have regards deferment. I won't be able to go to grad school NET Fall 2015. I graduated from USMA in 2010 and am currently finishing a five year committment to the Army. I am considering applying early (I would apply this year (2014), but request to start in fall 2015). Does anyone know if most institutions allow students to defer for a year when they apply? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kleene

Re: Concerning scholarships to grad schools in Europe

Postby Kleene » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:50 pm

ETH does offer full funding for a PhD. For the masters it offers the Excellence Scholarship. However, the deadline for this year's scholarship has passed. They encourage you to find funding from your own country. I am an EU-national and get some money from my government. In addition, I have applied for one national and one international scholarship. I will probably attend ETH next year.

I am not sure if ETH will let you defer. If it does not, you sound definitely apply for ETH and the Excellence Scholarship next cycle. It really depends on the uni (and perhaps even department?) whether you are allowed to defer.

Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”