Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Anyone else surprised there hasn't been any news yet today?

ThisFoodIsEW
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ThisFoodIsEW » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm

yes. im going nuts over here.

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah...I waited all weekend only to hear NOTHING! Maybe there will be something by the end of the day.

troopiedoop
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby troopiedoop » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:17 pm

I also got a call from Northwestern ESAM, have to return it later. It looks like they're going to be releasing admissions decisions this week.

edit: a word

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm

UCLA is dropping admits

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 pm

dasgut wrote:UCLA is dropping admits


:| anxiety ensues.

Ryker
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Ryker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:14 pm

ihatepencils wrote:
dasgut wrote:UCLA is dropping admits


:| anxiety ensues.
Does your status still say "submitted - pending decision", as well, then?

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:35 pm

Ryker wrote:
ihatepencils wrote:
dasgut wrote:UCLA is dropping admits


:| anxiety ensues.
Does your status still say "submitted - pending decision", as well, then?


Indeed! haha

ppham27
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ppham27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04 am

Anyone else get an email from UCLA saying that the decision has been made, but can't check their status due to "daily routine maintenance"?

Very frustrating. Anyway, given the timing of the email, I think that I should assume rejection.

whatever
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby whatever » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:31 am

ppham27 wrote:Anyone else get an email from UCLA saying that the decision has been made, but can't check their status due to "daily routine maintenance"?

Very frustrating. Anyway, given the timing of the email, I think that I should assume rejection.


Same problem. I don't know if you should assume rejection, they only just started sending acceptances and they usually hold off for a week or so on rejections. That said my background is a bit weak for them so I'd be shocked if I made the cut. You, on the other hand, seem pretty smart/have some bragging rights, so I for one think you've got some good news in your future.

AT LEAST YOU WOULD IF THEY EVER GOT THE INTERNET WORKING AGAIN. This is killing me haha.

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Because it's incredibly fun to type:

Brown is dropping...admits on GC

ppham27
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ppham27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 pm

whatever wrote:
ppham27 wrote:Anyone else get an email from UCLA saying that the decision has been made, but can't check their status due to "daily routine maintenance"?

Very frustrating. Anyway, given the timing of the email, I think that I should assume rejection.


Same problem. I don't know if you should assume rejection, they only just started sending acceptances and they usually hold off for a week or so on rejections. That said my background is a bit weak for them so I'd be shocked if I made the cut. You, on the other hand, seem pretty smart/have some bragging rights, so I for one think you've got some good news in your future.

AT LEAST YOU WOULD IF THEY EVER GOT THE INTERNET WORKING AGAIN. This is killing me haha.


Just called. Rejected as expected.

whatever
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:26 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby whatever » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:48 pm

ppham27 wrote:
whatever wrote:
ppham27 wrote:Anyone else get an email from UCLA saying that the decision has been made, but can't check their status due to "daily routine maintenance"?

Very frustrating. Anyway, given the timing of the email, I think that I should assume rejection.


Same problem. I don't know if you should assume rejection, they only just started sending acceptances and they usually hold off for a week or so on rejections. That said my background is a bit weak for them so I'd be shocked if I made the cut. You, on the other hand, seem pretty smart/have some bragging rights, so I for one think you've got some good news in your future.

AT LEAST YOU WOULD IF THEY EVER GOT THE INTERNET WORKING AGAIN. This is killing me haha.


Just called. Rejected as expected.


F**k 'em. I'll buy you a drink.

ppham27
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ppham27 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:24 pm

whatever wrote:F**k 'em. I'll buy you a drink.


Thanks, brah. I appreciate the support. I'm starting to get a bit worried.

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

My school seems to be bad at sending transcripts....or I did something terribly wrong. A few schools seem to not have my official transcripts yet :roll:

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:22 pm

Has anyone heard from CMU? I heard they've started making offers yet there's nothing on GC.

rmhism
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmhism » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Someone apparently got an acceptance from Stony Brook on GradCafe. I don't want to believe it though.

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:02 pm

^ There are a lot of acceptances on GradCafe that I don't want to believe. For that matter, there a few on this site too.

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:04 pm

rmhism wrote:Someone apparently got an acceptance from Stony Brook on GradCafe. I don't want to believe it though.


I agree...especially since their deadline was January 15th.

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 pm

Hey Gasquet, is this your second or third time around?

Ryker
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Ryker » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

ihatepencils wrote:
rmhism wrote:Someone apparently got an acceptance from Stony Brook on GradCafe. I don't want to believe it though.


I agree...especially since their deadline was January 15th.
Yeah, but they might have started reviewing those submitted well ahead earlier. Plus, it's not unimaginable that person was an outstanding applicant, so even if the committee met right after the deadline, why not give out the admission decision already?

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 am

dasgut wrote:Hey Gasquet, is this your second or third time around?


Second. To be honest, I don't think I have a third try in me. It's now or never. My future in Mathematics is in the hands of the Americans. God bless America?

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Gasquet wrote:Second. To be honest, I don't think I have a third try in me. It's now or never. My future in Mathematics is in the hands of the Americans. God bless America?


For some reason I thought you, like myself, were on your third admissions dance. I'm starting to worry I'll have to go a 4th round!

veektorreeyah
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby veektorreeyah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:43 pm

GeorgiaTech sent out emails today, in case any of you applied there

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:58 pm

dasgut wrote:For some reason I thought you, like myself, were on your third admissions dance. I'm starting to worry I'll have to go a 4th round!


Maybe you got too used to seeing my posts in the previous sweat thread! There were very few of us who posted regularly. Probably because many of our fellow applicants think that posting on an internet forum reflects poorly on them(to the schools) :roll:. The paranoia is quite unbelievable.

I won't be going for a 3rd round because I have a (almost guaranteed) PhD admit from a university in Europe. Even though it would take a year or two lesser there, I'd rather go to a US school to avoid the language problem and for better prospects after the PhD. But if I start there, I won't reapply for a third time.

What were the major changes you made in your current application from the previous two years?

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Gasquet wrote:
dasgut wrote:For some reason I thought you, like myself, were on your third admissions dance. I'm starting to worry I'll have to go a 4th round!


Maybe you got too used to seeing my posts in the previous sweat thread! There were very few of us who posted regularly. Probably because many of our fellow applicants think that posting on an internet forum reflects poorly on them(to the schools) :roll:. The paranoia is quite unbelievable.

I won't be going for a 3rd round because I have a (almost guaranteed) PhD admit from a university in Europe. Even though it would take a year or two lesser there, I'd rather go to a US school to avoid the language problem and for better prospects after the PhD. But if I start there, I won't reapply for a third time.

What were the major changes you made in your current application from the previous two years?


Glad you've got at least one (kinda) guaranteed admit :)

The first time I applied I had a mediocre subject score and I hadn't completed my MS.

I vastly improved my subject score for the second round. Pretty sure I had a shitty SOP though. I think that killed me because my application is a bit non-traditional. I also should have done a better job picking my schools.

This time I've totally re-written my SOP; I spent a good month and a half on it. I'm also a bit more targeted in the schools I'm applying to.

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm

HEADS UP: Stanford math is sending rejections and Harvard stat is sending acceptances (PhD only)

goatman2743
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby goatman2743 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:32 pm

re: the discussion earlier about schools that post placements - Penn State does as well. So the list of schools with placement information is now:

Columbia
Virginia
WUSTL
Penn State

but if anyone knows of other schools, please post.

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:29 pm

Ugh. There's a CMU admit on GC.

yl2868
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby yl2868 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:48 pm

dasgut wrote:Ugh. There's a CMU admit on GC.

This should be true
Most admits of CMU are given on late Jan to early Feb, according to GC

allemanau
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby allemanau » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Looking back at application receipt emails, we might expect some action from Carnegie Mellon Statistics tomorrow. The verbage:

"All applicants will receive notification of their status by email no later than January 30. We realize that waiting is very difficult. However, we request that you do not call or email our offices to inquire about the status of your application."

Let's cross our fingers!

yl2868
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby yl2868 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:06 am

goatman2743 wrote:re: the discussion earlier about schools that post placements - Penn State does as well. So the list of schools with placement information is now:

Columbia
Virginia
WUSTL
Penn State

but if anyone knows of other schools, please post.



CMU http://www.math.cmu.edu/graduate/recentgrads.html

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:38 am

yl2868 wrote:
goatman2743 wrote:re: the discussion earlier about schools that post placements - Penn State does as well. So the list of schools with placement information is now:

Columbia
Virginia
WUSTL
Penn State

but if anyone knows of other schools, please post.



CMU http://www.math.cmu.edu/graduate/recentgrads.html


University of Texas - Austin:

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/alumni/alumni/ ... =recentphd

Ryker
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Ryker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:19 pm

I think goatman was talking about an ordered waiting list, not where people go after they do their PhD.

goatman2743
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby goatman2743 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 pm

I was talking about where people go after finishing their PhD. Thanks for posting Texas/CMU btw. Reading the lists is definitely a better time killer than refreshing gc, although I don't really have much of a grasp on how likely various postdocs are to lead to a permanent academic job so it's hard to compare schools.

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:42 pm

goatman2743 wrote:I was talking about where people go after finishing their PhD. Thanks for posting Texas/CMU btw. Reading the lists is definitely a better time killer than refreshing gc, although I don't really have much of a grasp on how likely various postdocs are to lead to a permanent academic job so it's hard to compare schools.


Minnesota: http://www.math.umn.edu/grad/PhDs/details.html

Ryker
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Ryker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm

goatman2743 wrote:I was talking about where people go after finishing their PhD. Thanks for posting Texas/CMU btw. Reading the lists is definitely a better time killer than refreshing gc, although I don't really have much of a grasp on how likely various postdocs are to lead to a permanent academic job so it's hard to compare schools.
My bad. Here's one to make up for it:

UC Davis

scotto3394
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby scotto3394 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm

I'm assuming these fit the criteria? (At the bottom of the PDFs)

Northwestern, Math: http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documen ... cement.pdf

Northwestern, Applied Math: http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/documen ... cement.pdf

dasgut
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby dasgut » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Three new facts I've learned:

1. CMU interviews.
2. A CMU interview invite is posted on GC.
3. I have no received an interview invite :(

Ugh. Just ugh.

ThisFoodIsEW
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ThisFoodIsEW » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:11 pm

Slow day today.

Has anyone else been having dreams about the schools they do or do not get into? CMU, Berkeley and Penn have come up for me...

goatman2743
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby goatman2743 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:14 pm

Thanks guys, I'll compile a list of all the schools at the end of the year and start a new thread with all the information for future people.

dasgut wrote:Three new facts I've learned:

1. CMU interviews.
2. A CMU interview invite is posted on GC.
3. I have no received an interview invite :(

Ugh. Just ugh.



I wouldn't worry too much about this since CMU doesn't have any history of doing interviews. I think it's likely to be a special case where they wanted more information from a specific person rather than a whole round of interviews for everyone being considered.

ihatepencils
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby ihatepencils » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Seems UT - Austin has/is given out admits... :|

User avatar
Gasquet
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Gasquet » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm

rmg123 wrote:I am not sure if ESAM has extended all offers, but I was called by the director yesterday about being admitted. Have another friend who got the same call. I think they will be making official offers this week, so best of luck!


troopiedoop wrote:I also got a call from Northwestern ESAM, have to return it later. It looks like they're going to be releasing admissions decisions this week.


Congrats on the admit! Have either of you got official news for the same? Status changed in the Admissions Tracking System?

scotto3394
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby scotto3394 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:58 pm

Gasquet wrote:
rmg123 wrote:I am not sure if ESAM has extended all offers, but I was called by the director yesterday about being admitted. Have another friend who got the same call. I think they will be making official offers this week, so best of luck!


troopiedoop wrote:I also got a call from Northwestern ESAM, have to return it later. It looks like they're going to be releasing admissions decisions this week.


Congrats on the admit! Have either of you got official news for the same? Status changed in the Admissions Tracking System?

I got that same call, and this last week I got an official email and the Admission Tracking System has decision information. But that's just my situation.

rmg123
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby rmg123 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:05 pm

My admissions decision is also updated online (was new yesterday). I got the official offer on Wednesday.

troopiedoop
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby troopiedoop » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Gasquet wrote:
rmg123 wrote:I am not sure if ESAM has extended all offers, but I was called by the director yesterday about being admitted. Have another friend who got the same call. I think they will be making official offers this week, so best of luck!


troopiedoop wrote:I also got a call from Northwestern ESAM, have to return it later. It looks like they're going to be releasing admissions decisions this week.


Congrats on the admit! Have either of you got official news for the same? Status changed in the Admissions Tracking System?


I got admitted.

goatman2743
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby goatman2743 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Whoever posted the Wisconsin-Milwaukee admit on gc just gave me and presumably many others a minor heart attack lol

lowdt
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 am

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby lowdt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:46 pm

goatman2743 wrote:Whoever posted the Wisconsin-Milwaukee admit on gc just gave me and presumably many others a minor heart attack lol


YUP! My heart sank.

The waiting in general is killing me...can't focus on my psets.

Mezox
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby Mezox » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:57 pm

So Berkeley is giving admits? :O

I didn't know decisions were given during the weekends. Is it advisable to email to ask for admission progress or does it reflect poorly on you?

avemarya
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Fall 2014 Application Sweat Thread

Postby avemarya » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Heard from one place, but I wish I knew early on the results from everywhere. .. are most decisions made by March at least? I have personal reasons for needing the news rather soon. .. What are people's experience of the amount of time it takes for colleges to respond?




Return to “Mathematics GRE Forum: The GRE Subject Test in Mathematics”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron