Should I really give GRE Math Test ?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
sahilrules_88

Post by sahilrules_88 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:21 am

I will be completing my undergraduation in Computer Engineering this year. I plan to go for my masters in OR. My GRE general test is next month and I have a very good academic record.

I wanted to know whether a GRE Subject Math Test will help me in my admissions since I have noticed reading your forum that mostly Phd students only take these exams.

Also since I am from India I have this problem regarding the test date. The date this year is on the 7th of November, well after I send all my applications. Do universities accept GRE Math scores after they have received an application ?

stefan_s

Re: Should I really give GRE Math Test ?

Post by stefan_s » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:35 am

The GRE math test is recommended for some OR programs, but if you score poorly it might hurt you.
If you are sure you can score >80%, you should give it a shot...
BUT. I really don't see a reason for the admission committee to accept your scores after the application deadline. You should contact the admissions offices of the places you are applying - they will give you the most accurate information.

Stefan

sahilrules_88

Post by sahilrules_88 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:16 pm

thnx for replying !

if i score badly in this test don't i have an option of not sending my scores to the universities i apply (except the 4 i have already given) ?

can u give me an idea of some of the OR programs that might need a GRE subject math score ? are those programs from top top universities like stanford and berkeley ?

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Frankly, I think the cost is far greater than the expected payoff.
If the departments you are applying to do not ask for it, then clearly they do not assign a high value to it and it might make you look bad (even if you do place nicely on it).