Econ student need help for GRE Math Test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Econgrad

Econ student need help for GRE Math Test

Post by Econgrad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Guys, I am the first time visitor on the forum. I'm planning to sit for the Mathematics subject test,though I am going for PhD in Economics.The reason is that the modules I had in econ cluster the maths under 'quantitative analysis' and that does not signal my mathematical ability. And I have only 770 in Q section of general GRE. So that is my background.

Please advise would it be possible to pull off this monster within three months alongwith the full time job?
I would appreciate if someone can suggest actual text books that would be helpful for preparation.
Is Mathematics for Economists by Simon/Blume of any help?

Econgrad

Re: Econ student need help for GRE Math Test

Post by Econgrad » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:53 pm

I heard that this is the best forum for GRE Math Subject help but nothing seems coming through.
Is there anyone who can suggest something???

Thanks.

Troo

Post by Troo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi Econgrad

Questions like yours have been posted here many times before :D
My suggestion is to search on this forum and then you will figure out what to do
good lucks

sandraizbasa

Post by sandraizbasa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:50 am

Nameless wrote:Hi Econgrad

Questions like yours have been posted here many times before :D
My suggestion is to search on this forum and then you will figure out what to do
good lucks
It seems like questions like this have been answered carefully in detail only once. Most threads have not any value because of little or no reply.

I hope somebody can give more advice concerning how to prepare for this exam aim to help those students who do not major in mathematics. For example, many students like Econgrad only take very basic calculus and linear algebra courses in universities. So they must learn many topics like abstract algebra by themselves. Thanks~

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:50 am

Need more information on the extend of your maths knowledge. Have you taken any of the topics below?

Linear Algebra : linear independence, basis, dimension, vector spaces, subspaces, linear transform?

Calculus :implicit function theorem, riemann integral, improper integrals, double integration?

Analysis (or Calculus) : Limits of Sequences/Functions, Extreme Value Theorem, Rolle's Theorem, Mean Value Theorem, Intermediate Value Theorem, Continuity, Differentiability, Open/Close/Compact sets?

Abstract Algebra : Number theory, Group Theory?

In my humble opinion the topics listed above, though inadequate, might be enough to get started studying for GRE Math. I feel that if one has to learn even half of the above from scratch, it is quite impossible given just 3 months. (and in Econgrad's case, a full time job!)

Econgrad

Post by Econgrad » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:32 pm

@Nameless, I have been perusing through the forum but it is hard to get any solid information.It would be helpful if you can post some links.

@Legendre, I have covered Linear Algebra and Claculus(that is standard in economics, Simon/Blume).

I am looking for the information on actual text books that should be used for the preparation because the mathematical economics books cover the material from a different perspective. I would appreciate any information and suggestions.

This forum actually seems to be laclustre to respond to guys who do not belong to ''math brigade''.

Legendre

Post by Legendre » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 am

Econgrad wrote: @Legendre, I have covered Linear Algebra and Claculus(that is standard in economics, Simon/Blume).
I take it that you have covered all the topics mentioned in my short list of Linear Algebra and Calculus topics.

What about the topics in Analysis and Abstract Algebra? In my humble opinion I think it is impossible to pull this off in 3 months + full time job without having covered these before. Analysis is extremely difficult to get started in and a large number of the questions is asked from this topic (also known as "calculus"). Furthermore, some topics like Topology and Lebesgue Integration requires a lot of familiarity with Analysis.
Econgrad wrote:I am looking for the information on actual text books that should be used for the preparation because the mathematical economics books cover the material from a different perspective. I would appreciate any information and suggestions.
I think one problem with recommending textbooks is that there is no one standard textbook that serves as an introduction and covers everything that an undergraduate course in mathematics covers. I think reading textbooks meant for introduction to analysis and 2nd course in analysis alone would take an entire year from scratch! There are textbooks that are meant to be concise references but they go into great depth and assume the reader are already familiar with the topic.

Have you tried Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE? They claim to cover all the topics tested in the GRE Math subject test.
Econgrad wrote: This forum actually seems to be laclustre to respond to guys who do not belong to ''math brigade''.
This forum and other GRE Math Subject Test forums that I visited have equally low activity overall. :(

I think it is due to the low number of test takers compared to say the GRE General Test. General Test forums are brimming with activities compared to subject test forums.

Disclaimer : I am just another test taker like you. Keep that in mind when reading my "advice". :shock:

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Econgrad wrote:@Nameless, I have been perusing through the forum but it is hard to get any solid information.It would be helpful if you can post some links.
http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=207
http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190
http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=167

Also since most of us are not major in Econ, we even have not heard about "Mathematics for Economists by Simon/Blume" so we cannot give you solid advices so then you have to figure out yourself.( most of students studying Econ I know they were major in Maths, physics,.... before switching to Econ, Finance,..., they do know what they need for killing GRE maths, and the top Biz schools like Chicago, Stanford, Berkeley, New York, prefer to admit students with Physics, or Math major), it may hurt your applications if you don't get 800/800 for math section of GRE general or below 70% for GRE maths
Econgrad wrote: This forum actually seems to be laclustre to respond to guys who do not belong to ''math brigade''.
In my humble opinion, it is because most of us are too busy for summer vacations :D,this forum has very active members such as CoCoA, lime, Amateur, lovemath, moo5003, eof, zombie....and so on I cannot list all them here so it is better if you post your math questions on this forum and each member will try to help you.
Very general questions like " I am major in engineering? what books I should use for GRE math?, or where should I start from?" are very difficult to answer :D

Legendre wrote:This forum and other GRE Math Subject Test forums that I visited have equally low activity overall.
this can be explained as we have solved, discussed most of the problems in the test samples we know ,given many tricks to solve as quickly as possible so they don't want to do it again, if curious, please find on this forum.

Good luck for you all

diogenes

Post by diogenes » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:12 pm

Econgrad wrote: Is Mathematics for Economists by Simon/Blume of any help?
It has been several years since I looked at the book, but my recollection is that you get low level linear algebra with it and that your optimization skills will be above those of most calculus "bricks."

However, I assume you have a long road ahead of you to prepare.