some questions

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
pipie

some questions

Post by pipie » Sat May 09, 2009 12:03 am

1. How important are GRE and GRE sub?

I'm a Jr. and will be senior this fall. I plan to take GRE general this summer and take sub in the fall. I am worried about the tests, because I do not have a lot of time to prepare for them. I heard that Rutgers ranks people using GRE sub first, then they look at your GPA and the math courses you have taken. It seems that they care about the GRE score very much. So, how important to get a good score in GRE?

I know that most grad programs consider GRE sub more than GRE. Some of my friends told me that they think that schools do not really about your verbal score if you are apply for their math dept. I think that I can do well in the verbal if I study it, however, I really do not want to spend all my time memorizing words instead of doing math problems. Is there a minimal verbal score to be admitted by some top grad programs?

2. I'm interested in geometry, dynamical system, and mathematical physics ( pde, functions , and operators). I am looking for some schools which have a strong program in those fields. I checked the phd.org and USnews, but I could not find it. Can any one please recommend some schools? Thanks.